right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Romani Jr is on the way

Replies to: Romani Jr is on the way

• jasmomjasmom 1133 replies37 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Might soy milk actually increase the estrogen? Something to ask on Monday. Maybe almond milk in smoothies could go down easier.
    · Reply · Share
  • HouseChatteHouseChatte 700 replies1 threadsRegistered User Member
    @romanigypsyeyes not sure if you have issues with wheat / gluten, might you be able to tolerate seitan?
    · Reply · Share
  • CIEE83CIEE83 700 replies9 threadsRegistered User Member
    @romanigypsyeyes, yes, it was the clean label project, did not realize their methods were questionable. Thanks for pointing that out.
    · Reply · Share
  • Cardinal FangCardinal Fang 18303 replies157 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    How about eggs? Bland, soft, high in protein; you might find them less unappealing.
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 34107 replies377 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    If trying protein alternatives (or others) made you very sick before, you need to start with very low amounts. Includes things like flax seeds, etc. Then you build up.

Some people can do the full recommended amount from the get go. Others, just not. Someting was recommended to me as 1 tablespoon added. I quickly learned I needed to start at 1/2 teaspoon.
    · Reply · Share
  • wis75wis75 14059 replies62 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited September 24
    Hummus is made from chickpeas- you can fix them in other ways. You can add them to so many dishes- canned ones work well in salads, added to hot vegetable mixes, on pasta. Easy to add them to many dishes (I won't give you my Indian recipes- spicing...). Eggs can be separated if you just want the whites (they're nonvegetarian of course)- we use jumbo eggs for the higher white/yolk ratio and much cheaper than packaged whites. I'm sure the nutritionist had many ideas you can play with.

Isn't it wonderful to be carrying a pregnancy where your major concerns are now of diet and nausea? Hang in there- the months will pass.
    edited September 24
    · Reply · Share
  • droppeditdroppedit 1033 replies18 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    How about deviled eggs? DW makes great ones with Wickles.
    · Reply · Share
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy 18517 replies324 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Wickles?
    · Reply · Share
  • droppeditdroppedit 1033 replies18 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Wickles Relish (spicy pickle relish):

https://wicklespickles.com/product/wickles-relish/

Really good stuff. We use it on many things.
    · Reply · Share
  • mathmommathmom 32373 replies159 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    You can also make hummus-like food out of other beans. Or make your hummus more interesting by adding other stuff too it.
    · Reply · Share
  • kelsmomkelsmom 15580 replies98 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @romanigypsyeyes lives in the land of hummus! :)
    · Reply · Share
  • sorghumsorghum 3502 replies110 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I suggest not trying meat to get the extra protein. After decades of being vegetarian I ate a small amount, maybe quarter ounce, of a lamb kebab. I was VERY sick all night.
    · Reply · Share
  • mathmommathmom 32373 replies159 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I know other people though that have added a little bit of meat to their diet when they were pregnant despite having been vegetarians for years. I think some of that may be how good their vegetarian diet was in the first place.
    · Reply · Share
  • LoveTheBardLoveTheBard 2114 replies20 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited September 26
    @romanigypsyeyes –– Sorry to be so late to the party, but I just wanted to pop in to congratulate you on Romani Jr.! Last thing I knew, you were soliciting happy conception stories when you and Mr. R. were struggling to conceive, and now I am delighted to hear that you were successful!! I am thrilled for you –– you're going to be an amazing mom!!
    edited September 26
    · Reply · Share
  • orangepurpleorangepurple 173 replies15 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @romanigypsyeyes I'm glad you met with a nutritionist to get more ideas as well as the reassurance. There are many ways to get enough of what you need but I certainly remember my own anxiety about getting enough of everything when I had morning sickness (all day, but I guess we still call it morning sickness.)

I would say what worked best for me was avoiding cooking smells as much as possible. Having someone bring me takeout food or heating food up in the microwave rather than on the stove both helped a lot. Even smells that I usually liked just set me off.

There are so many healthy-ish frozen foods especially at some place like Whole Foods. They might not be ideal every day in the long run, but this is a short term issue. Do whatever works for you!

Good luck! We are all so happy for you.
    · Reply · Share
  • greenwitchgreenwitch 8754 replies41 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    D3 and I love making our own hummus, but we are also very close to a number of restaurants that make excellent hummus, with many varieties. Take out is so easy!

One thing I found is that I no longer enjoy store bought hummus. They add citric acid to extend the shelf life and it feels uncomfortably tangy on my tongue. Why not add lemon?
    · Reply · Share
  • oregon101oregon101 5504 replies136 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    A Greek lady an Penzey's told me to put the store bought hummus in a large bowl and add cumin then swirl it with a knife, drizzle good olive oil on it. It really makes a difference.
    · Reply · Share