right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Spain? Italy? Hawaii? Where do you want to travel WHILE getting college credit? REGISTER NOW for a virtual College Fair on Sept. 29!
PARENTS4PARENTS: AfroPuffMom is the mother of two boys, a college junior and a high school junior. She has extensive experience reviewing applications for high-achieving, first-generation students. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our September Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

Romani Jr is on the way

1929394959698»

Replies to: Romani Jr is on the way

• HImomHImom 36143 replies397 threads Senior Member
    We had our kids take swimming lessons from age two or so. I told them they would both learn to swim—it was non negotiable. There’s too much water—grandparents and relatives had pools, friends had pools and parties where there were pools, and beaches everywhere.

Their swimming isn’t going to win them any awards but both are pretty comfortable in and near water.

Covid is definitely making it tougher for any lessons.
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 10864 replies135 threads Senior Member
    Our D started swimming at age 2 as well.

I vividly remember D pitched a fit when she graduated at age 5 to the competition pool because the water was "too cold". After a summer in the competition pool with her shivering and having her lips turning blue, we gave her private lessons at my parents' well heated community pool until she started to go to summer camp where lessons were integrated into their day. In our area, lots of the teenage lifeguards were eager to take on swim teaching jobs for littles and they were actually cheaper than then the group classes. D liked the having a teen better than the adult instructors.

I was scarred for life from swimming lessons at the beach. We were pulled out of the water while doing laps for a shark sighting when I was 8 or 9, around the same time Jaws was released, and I've never been comfortable in salt water since ; )
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 43384 replies473 threads Senior Member
    🥰
    · Reply · Share
  • CottonTalesCottonTales 1617 replies27 threads Senior Member
    Ok I just did a mass dump of pics. Enjoy :) Also I swear my child has clothes! He just has reflux and spits/throws up CONSTANTLY so we just kind of gave up on wearing onesies when we're home unless it's cold. And since we're in summer, that hasn't been an issue. Plus he's happier without clothes so *shrug*

@Southmom thank you for that. I'm glad that he's bringing joy to others. I hope one day he'll know how many people care about him.

Haha, that's why I sent you onesies. You can never have too many!
    · Reply · Share
  • Nrdsb4Nrdsb4 18223 replies165 threads Senior Member
    Great to hear from you Romani, and very happy for you that you are in a good place with family and baby. You guys went through so much to bring this child into the world. Tough getting pregnant, then giving birth during a horrible pandemic.

You've earned some smooth sailing!
    · Reply · Share
  • rhododendronrhododendron 458 replies19 threads Member
    🤣 He's off and running now! Cage is highly recommended.
    · Reply · Share
  • rhododendronrhododendron 458 replies19 threads Member
    Thanks for the update!
    · Reply · Share
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy 19063 replies336 threads Senior Member
    Ah, babies. They are rough, aren't they. Don't worry; he'll leave home before you know it.
    · Reply · Share
  • showmom858showmom858 3250 replies16 threads Senior Member
    @romanigypsyeyes Thank you for the update. He sounds like he is doing just what he should be!
    · Reply · Share
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes 34229 replies771 threads Senior Member
    @showmom858 absolutely :). And since I still WFH and Mr R is still very part-time, we're doing much better than if we had to deal with the sleep issues AND normal 8-5+ jobs.

He's way ahead on mobile/developmental milestones and slightly behind on verbal ones.

I know most parents say this, but I think he's going to be a pretty smart kid. He just picks things up so quickly and once he decides he's going to do something, he's gonna do it. It might take some (a lot) screaming to get to that point but he gets there.

Part of me wonders whether or not being so isolated for his early life is going to affect him or not as he grows up. There's nothing I can do about it obviously - and I wouldn't risk getting COVID for anything - but he's still only met about 15 or so people in his life. I'm hoping that doesn't lead to some very clingy behaviors in a few months.
    · Reply · Share
  • LindagafLindagaf 11303 replies603 threads Super Moderator
    I wouldn’t worry. I think knowing 15 people when you are five months old is plenty, lol. Glad to hear the update. Hope you are enjoying motherhood!
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 35696 replies403 threads Senior Member
    You worry about broader socialization when he's a little older. Right now, his world IS pretty large. And you've had him with his cousins and others.

Friend's grandbaby saw only the parents most of the first year (mom is wfh.) My friend would visit maybe once every 6 weeks and it terrorized the baby if she even walked into the room. This was a late, surprise pregnancy, no friends with young kids, no local Mommy and Me, etc.

Entirely different than your situation.
    Best wishes.
    · Reply · Share
  • gouf78gouf78 7973 replies25 threads Senior Member
    My son had less socialization (at least with other kids) and is a full grown social animal. I wouldn't worry a bit (although I did at the time). What I did learn along the way was that talking with adults on a regular basis (versus a preschool experience) really increased his vocabulary which made his interactions with multiple groups of people that much easier.
    · Reply · Share
  • shellfellshellfell 3887 replies12 threads Senior Member
    Clinginess is apt to happen developmentally in a few months anyway. I wouldn't worry about his limited social sphere at this point.
    · Reply · Share