right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ski_racer, a high-achiever in high school, was rejected by some of the elite schools she applied to. This rejection was the best thing that happened to her as she got to choose her own path. Learn how she fell in love with her safety school, ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Please help me plan a casual dinner menu for 4-6 women for HOT weather

Replies to: Please help me plan a casual dinner menu for 4-6 women for HOT weather

• mominvamominva 3157 replies36 threads Senior Member
    edited July 2019
    when I make a corn salad, I like to use grilled corn, but I do't cook it.. Trader Joe's carries frozen grilled corn. I always have a bag in my freezer. I add a can of diced green chiles, diced red pepper, diced red onion, lime juice, rice wine vinegar. I don't care for cilantro, so I use flat leaf parsley.
    edited July 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • oregon101oregon101 5648 replies138 threads Senior Member
    edited July 2019
    I would make a slow cooker pulled pork with 3 salads on the side.
    Recipe: 3-4 lbs pork ( I use tenderloin) and 2 cups of your favorite BBQ sauce.
    8 hours on low. I often pull it apart and add more of the bottled sauce to the slow cooker sauce. A hit overtime.
    Serve Ina Gartens cosmopolitans. Go to the dollar store and pick some fake crystal dishes.
    edited July 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • HoggirlHoggirl 2127 replies214 threads Senior Member
    Thanks so much for all the help, y’all! So pleased to find these great suggestions and recipes when we returned home from our Independence Day celebrating!
    · Reply · Share
  • SuperSenior19SuperSenior19 183 replies9 threads Junior Member
    edited July 2019
    What about a big Italian salad with all the toppings (pimentos, grated parmesan, croutons, salami, red onion, artichoke hearts, etc.)? Or a cold strawberry soup? Strawberry "shortcake" for dessert would be good too -- most stores sell little cake cups & you could add whipped cream with sliced strawberries marinated in sugar beforehand.

Corn salad is good as a salsa with tortilla chips as well. Or maybe hummus and pita chips? Fruit salsa?
    edited July 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • MarilynMarilyn 4343 replies142 threads Senior Member
    Here’s the Three Melon Soup of Summertime:
    6 servings

2 cups freshly squeezed orange juice
    1 1/2 cups finely chopped peeled cantaloupe
    1 1/2 cups finely chopped peeled Crenshaw melon
    1/3 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
    1/4 cup honey
    2 tablespoons honey
    2 tablespoons minced fresh mint or 1 teaspoon dry, crumbled
    2 cups Asti Spumante or other sparkling white wine
    1 cup finely chopped seeded watermelon
    Fresh mint sprigs for garnish

Purée orange juice, cantaloupe, Crenshaw melon and lime juice in processor (in batches if necessary). Mix in honey, sugar and mint. Pour purée into nonmetal container. Add wine and watermelon. Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight. Garnish each serving with mint sprig.

(I love how they tell you to peel the melons - very old recipe!)
    · Reply · Share
  • MarilynMarilyn 4343 replies142 threads Senior Member
    And if peaches are in season:

Cold Peach Soup
    8 servings

1 1/2 pounds peaches, peeled, pitted and sliced
    2 cups sour cream
    1 cup fresh orange juice
    1 cup pineapple juice
    1/2 cup dry sherry
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    Sugar (optional)

Purée peaches in food processor until smooth. Add all remaining ingredients except sugar (in batches if necessary) and blend well. Pass soup through fine strainer. Add sugar to taste. Serve chilled.
    · Reply · Share
    @Marilyn - thank you so much for taking the time to type these out!
    · Reply · Share
  • KatMTKatMT College Rep 4179 replies71 threads Senior Member
    I am a fan of this chilled avocado soup recipe... https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/chilled-avocado-soup-0
    · Reply · Share
  • Emsmom1Emsmom1 1008 replies80 threads Senior Member
    Chicken Marbella (from the Silver Palate cookbook) is great cold and can be made ahead of time.
    · Reply · Share
  • alwaysamomalwaysamom 12281 replies217 threads Senior Member
    I have a good recipe for chicken salad that is always a hit, if you still need one.
    · Reply · Share
  • showmom858showmom858 3180 replies16 threads Senior Member
    edited July 2019
    This salad is easy and really good. You cold serve this with a chilled soup and have a lovely dinner along with some nice rose wine!
    https://www.cookinglight.com/recipes/tortellini-chicken-arugula-salad
    edited July 2019
    · Reply · Share
    @alwaysamom - would love it! Always like recipes that are tried and true!
    · Reply · Share
  • alwaysamomalwaysamom 12281 replies217 threads Senior Member
    Chicken Pecan Salad
    This should be plenty for 4-6 if served with other salads.
    4 boneless chicken breasts
    1 cup of seedless grapes, quartered
    4 green onions, sliced
    3/4 cup of chopped pecans
    1 cup of diced celery
    dressing:
    1 cup of mayo or Miracle Whip
    1 tbsp of sour cream
    1 tsp of dill
    1 tbsp sugar
    1/4 tsp pepper
    1 tsp seasoned salt

Optional: you can also add chopped apple if you'd like a more 'fruitful' salad. :)

I boil the chicken then cut it into small pieces. It keeps the chicken moist, rather than cooking it in the oven. Mix all of the first group of ingredients together, after chicken has cooled. Then combine the dressing ingredients and add to the chicken. Mix gently then refrigerate for an hour or more prior to serving. I usually serve it on top of romaine leaves.
    · Reply · Share
    @alwaysamom - sounds delish! I’d have to leave out the pecans since my one friend does not eat them. I love that it has dill!
    · Reply · Share
  • EmpireappleEmpireapple 2255 replies28 threads Senior Member
    California Chicken salad. So healthy and delicious. Make ahead which is always great.

I grill the chicken, add corn from on the cob, bacon, avocado, dill, chives...whatever you like. Google for a recipe and you will find several versions. Choose the one you like. It's not a mayo based chicken salad which makes it so healthy.
    · Reply · Share
  • beebee3beebee3 272 replies6 threads Junior Member
    You could also make bacon wrapped dates (bake them in the morning, they are delicious at room temperature) which might help you round out your selections...it is a 'meatier' option - and you can always stuff the dates with blue cheese before wrapping them. Do not use thick sliced bacon if you choose this as an option.

An antipasti platter can also be a great hot weather option.

I don't think you can go wrong with key lime pie for dessert...maybe sorbet and chocolate ice cream as additional choices?
    · Reply · Share
    @beebee3 - I love bacon-wrapped, Mejool dates. I usually stuff with goat cheese. Yum!
    · Reply · Share
    @doschicos @MaryBarbara58 and others who make sesame noodle salads...

Do these dry out if made ahead of time? I have never made this type of salad before. When I make pasta salads ahead I find that the noodles “drink” whatever dressing I put on them. Does this phenomenon occur with these Thai/Sesame noodle salads as well? I’d like to make on Tuesday to serve Wednesday night.

Thanks!
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 26820 replies269 threads Senior Member
    I'd either make a little extra of the dressing or set aside a part of it you can toss right before serving. I agree with you that pasta salad dishes tend to soak up any sauces.
    · Reply · Share
    Thanks, @doschicos
    I’m doing your noodle salad, the rice/black bean salad, and a salmon salad that I found! I thought it might be a bit more unexpected than chicken salad. Which, is a delicious staple for sure, but pretty predictable. I’ll report back as to whether or not it is any good. Here is the recipe:

https://www.fifteenspatulas.com/summertime-salmon-salad-with-black-pepper-water-crackers/
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity