right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Time for a new home?

Replies to: Time for a new home?

• abasketabasket 19040 replies853 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Oh I DO think plenty of people are upset with CC. 111 pages worth in one thread! :( Thus this thread. :)
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 33113 replies358 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    And bickering does depend on the thread and content. Not the point of this one, though.

HBD to ML, great mod.

· Reply · Share
  • conmamaconmama 4123 replies303 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    How do I bookmark the PC?
    · Reply · Share
    @conmama what device are you using - a phone? Laptop? What browser?
    This is the link I save: https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parent-cafe/
    But how you do it depends on what device or browser (Chrome, Safari, etc.) you're using.
    · Reply · Share
    edited July 14
    @abasket, I use an iPad and your link is the page I see. I just don’t know what to do from there. Thanks!

I have safari.
    edited July 14
    · Reply · Share
    @conmama take a look at this. Make sure you're on the linked page above when you bookmark.
    https://support.apple.com/guide/ipad/bookmark-favorite-webpages-ipadc602b75b/ios

· Reply · Share
  • MarilynMarilyn 3666 replies124 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited July 14
    @conmama - when you’re on the page you want to bookmark, click on the little box with the up arrow at the top right if in landscape mode, or maybe bottom if in portrait mode on an iPhone. It will include an option to “add bookmark”. Click on that and then save. The icon for the Parent Cafe should then show up every time you open Safari.
    edited July 14
    · Reply · Share
  • CreeklandCreekland 5754 replies89 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Oh I DO think plenty of people are upset with CC. 111 pages worth in one thread! :( Thus this thread. :)

Needless to say, I'm not reading that thread. I was thinking it was merely the format change folks were upset about? If it's more than that, then I'm definitely wrong. I despise the format change, but didn't need to dwell on it on a long thread - hence - don't read that one any longer.
    · Reply · Share
    If I go to the page I want (see link that abasket posted #105), there is the bell, envelope, arrow and wheel in the top right corner. That is what I see on my iPad. When I click the arrow icon, it just shows me the two threads I bookmarked.

I’ll keep trying.
    · Reply · Share
  • emilybeeemilybee 13141 replies35 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited July 14
    @conmama.

Top right next to the address bar there is a box with arrow in peeking out on top. Tap on that and a drop down menu should appear. Then tap on “add to favorites” ” and it will be put on your fav list at the bottom.
    edited July 14
    · Reply · Share
  • MarilynMarilyn 3666 replies124 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    @conmama - make sure you’re scrolled to the very top of the page. The icon you want will be above and outside CC, next to the address bar as noted. You’re seeing the CC site favorites, not the Safari bookmarks.
    · Reply · Share
    Ok, I got it too work! Thanks!
    · Reply · Share
  • alwaysamomalwaysamom 12261 replies216 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited July 14
    I'd be interested in a new location. I've been on CC for nearly 15 years. I'm almost embarrassed to say that. I have many friends here, have helped countless individuals on the theatre and international student forums, have met many CC friends in person, and have been the recipient of so much interesting information in the Parents' Café. I hate the new format and I have no illusions of anything changing, given my experience here with wholesale changes. The last time had a similar number of complaints and virtually nothing at all was changed.

One thing I've noticed since the disastrous changes were instituted is that there have been very few, sometimes no, new discussions or posts in the forums I frequent here, outside of the Parents' Café. I don't think it's a coincidence.

Moderation is important, I moderate on another online forum. I have been asked several times through the years to join the mod team here but just haven't had the time. I might be willing to help with moderation on a new forum that wasn't quite as large as this one. I would recommend that the moderation be a bit more relaxed. That, in my experience, lends itself well to free-flowing discussion, fewer problems, and a sense that moderation doesn't become a full-time job.
    edited July 14
    · Reply · Share
  • jym626jym626 55115 replies2860 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Hadn’t seen this thread due to the (*[email protected](*)@ new format. Add me in to follow.
    · Reply · Share
  • jym626jym626 55115 replies2860 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    @Iglooo - Didn't you have a post here this morning?
    · Reply · Share
  • IgloooIglooo 8112 replies208 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited July 15
    @jym626 I did. I guess it got removed. I didn't know what I said was controversial. I said sometimes posts get removed for being off topic when the conversation meanders. Is it forbidden to say that? I never understood that. It is "Cafe".
    edited July 15
    · Reply · Share
  • my2sunzmy2sunz 696 replies63 postsRegistered User Member
    I'd be happy to migrate to another place. This new format is awful! I'd probably still check in on other boards here occasionally, but the Cafe is where I spend most of my time on CC.
    · Reply · Share
  • eastcoascrazyeastcoascrazy 2532 replies22 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    The Cafe and the parents forums are the only places I visit.

I'd try a new Cafe home, but i have reservations about moving:

I love the anonymous nature of CC, yet also love knowing the fact that y'all are real people. I know I personally have vented and posted statements here that I would never post in a forum attached to my real name and real identity. I also trust the people and the vibe here. I wouldn't want to lose that.

I love the moderated nature of this site. That is an enormous job, and If it isn't handled well and consistently, groups fall apart.

I like the fact that politics are a nonstarter. This is one of the very few places where we can escape from politics. Its like a breath of fresh air every time I come to CC.

So... Do we keep our CC names in the new Cafe? If not, we are losing that shared history. The threads here that are literally years long - will we lose that history? With the TOS be the same? Will political discussions be allowed?

@Creekland I know you aren't on Facebook, but if you joined for no other reason than the fabulous travel groups there you would find a wealth of knowledge, support and friendship. There is probably a private, moderated Facebook group for travel to every country, and to many specific US areas . There are more general travel groups such as the Rick Steves European group. There is a travel group dedicated purely to travel clothing and packing ideas. i have found a wealth of ideas in these groups, which are usually well moderated and a-political.
    · Reply · Share
  • eastcoascrazyeastcoascrazy 2532 replies22 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Also, my experience with the last big format change leads me to believe that no amount of griping will make any difference, and that after six weeks or so I couldn't remember what the previous format even looked like.
    · Reply · Share