right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

I’ve stoved one finger and hurt another.

conmamaconmama 4083 replies298 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,381 Senior Member
edited July 12 in Parent Cafe
Hoping someone chimes in! Last December as I was running around getting ready for the holidays, I tripped and caught myself on the door with my pinky. That hurt unbelievably! I went into the doctor about a couple months later when it wouldn’t stopped hurting. It hurts when I push the entire finger towards the other fingers and when I push bend the knuckles and push it towards my palm. Doc said it wasn’t broken, and to just do exercises. It’s 7 months later and still hurts.

Then 3 weeks ago, I bent down with middle finger bent and “stoved it” at the big middle joint. It only hurts at that joint, but it hurts enough it tough to do things.

Should I just continue to take ibuprofen for awhile? The last time I went to a hand doctor for some soreness in the pads of my palms, they did some tests and it was $2,500! I was so mad! Would like to avoid a hand doc.
edited July 12
13 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: I’ve stoved one finger and hurt another.

• MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn 37502 replies2048 discussionsSuper Moderator Posts: 39,550 Super Moderator
    Ugh, no advice but I feel your pain, ha. I injured a leg tendon and went to the doctor and PT. $2,000 OOP later and it didn't help much at all. It's finally feeling better, after a full year. I don't think I'll go to the doctor next time.
    · Reply · Share
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy 18311 replies322 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 18,633 Senior Member
    I don't think there's much to do other than give them time, use ice, and take ibuprofen. Even if they're broken, that's what they need. I find that the older I get, the longer these things take to resolve.
    · Reply · Share
  • conmamaconmama 4083 replies298 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,381 Senior Member
    Thanks for responding. I haven’t been icing, I’ll start that. That middle finger really makes it hard to do things, from lifting to opening a tight jar. Amazing how much our hand depends on it.
    · Reply · Share
  • IgloooIglooo 8050 replies205 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 8,255 Senior Member
    No incidents with fingers but I broke a couple of toes. There wasn't much the doctor could do. I tied the broken toe to another toe. It helped with healing and pain.
    · Reply · Share
  • jym626jym626 54921 replies2852 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 57,773 Senior Member
    What does "stoved it" mean?
    · Reply · Share
  • conmamaconmama 4083 replies298 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,381 Senior Member
    Stoved means when the fingertip receives the force, it’s jamming. My big joint of my middle finger received the force.
    · Reply · Share
  • GreymeerGreymeer 718 replies9 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 727 Member
    Um... "Stubbed"
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 20426 replies209 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 20,635 Senior Member
    If it has been 7 months and it is still hurting enough that you need painkillers and have limited use, I'd say it is worth checking out. Daily NSAID usage isn't ideal and I'm not optimistic that icing will do much good past the initial days of injury when there is swelling present.
    · Reply · Share
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff 3393 replies11 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,404 Senior Member
    Being a footdoc not a hand doc first with broken toes yes there is a lot you can do. Especially if the break is into the joint. Just tapping usually doesn't do it. You can set up arthritis in the joint.
    Same with hands. Personally the last person I would go to is your primary care doctor or an urgicare. I just see too many bad results to recommend that.
    I tell my patients when you hurt yourself, stop activity (have a sports medicine injury practice), ice, anti-inflammatory meds, rest and get off that part x7 days. If it still hurts then come in.
    I would go see a hand doctor in this case since it's like 7 months later and you still have pain but yes try icing first.
    · Reply · Share
  • Madison85Madison85 10304 replies408 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 10,712 Senior Member
    edited July 12
    @conmama

Short version: Your pinky finger could have been pulled out of joint (dislocated). Your pinky injury and continuing pain when you push it toward the other fingers and bend the knuckle sounds very similar to what happened to me. I needed surgery on my finger to get the joint back in position, metal pins drilled into my bones, etc. until it healed.

My finger injury: Many years ago I tripped on toy wooden blocks and caught myself but landed on / bent my left index finger (middle joint) awkwardly. I had immediate pain and went to the doctor. She said the X-Ray did not show a broken bone and it was just a sprain. I could not bend my finger and the pain continued. I was sent to occupational therapy (OT) for months. I had a custom contraption for my hand to pull my finger into a bending position. [At one point I remember jamming it on the car door when I missed the door handle (shooting pain)]. After no progress in range of motion, the Hand OT said I needed to see a hand surgeon. The surgeon ordered x-rays and said my finger was pulled out of joint / dislocated in the initial incident, I should have been referred to him months ago, and that I now needed surgery, recovery, more hand therapy. He also said I would probably get arthritis in the joint from the injury.

That was in the mid 1990s. No arthritis yet!
    edited July 12
    · Reply · Share
    edited July 12
    Oh my @Madison85 ...did you have the surgery?

@Greymeer, “stoved” is a type of injury. You can google it.
    edited July 12
    · Reply · Share
  • MarilynMarilyn 3635 replies123 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,758 Senior Member
    edited July 12
    Stoved seems to be a regional variation of staved.

Last year I broke my foot but didn't know it was broken and was walking around on it for three weeks (painful but doable). During a routine doctor's visit, she agreed it probably wasn't broken but ordered an X-ray. Bada bing, in a boot for six weeks and six months until healed. If you haven't had an X-ray, you don't know what kind of injury it was. I would suggest an X-ray and a referral to an orthopedic surgeon; not something to treat via online chat boards.
    edited July 12
    · Reply · Share
  • Madison85Madison85 10304 replies408 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 10,712 Senior Member
    @conmama Yes, I did have the surgery and everything is fine

Can your doctor look at the x-rays again for indication of dislocation?
    · Reply · Share