right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Oh No, New Orleans, not again....

2»

Replies to: Oh No, New Orleans, not again....

• sushirittosushiritto 3684 replies9 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    The last big earthquake in NorCal was 1989. And most everyone was unaffected. I lived in SF at the time and received no damage.

When I went through a major remodel many years ago, I had to pour a major amount of new concrete, tie it to the existing concrete foundation, with an ample amount of steel (rebar) and metal strapping, sheer paneling in order to get a permit. And many jurisdictions also require retrofitting of fire sprinklers in older houses as well.

No worries here.

· Reply · Share
  • jym626jym626 55115 replies2860 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    We recently went by the roads that were not rebuilt after the SF earthquake that occurred during the World Series. Cars were flattened like pancakes when roads collapsed. Pretty upsetting.

This is not a contest, @sushiritto. Everyone lives with their different levels of comfort.
    · Reply · Share
  • CreeklandCreekland 5754 replies89 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Not NO, but my youngest lad went to college at Eckerd in St Petersburg, FL. Eckerd is in a primary evacuation zone considering it's right on the waterfront. We had to sign a paper telling what his "hurricane emergency" plan was when he signed up during orientation freshman year (it's how I got to know an online friend/mom who lived in the area!).

In reality, during his 4 years there he only needed to evacuate once. He foresaw that coming and opted to be in Jordan doing his Study Abroad that semester. (grin) The college evacuated, but the hurricane fizzled out and did essentially nothing to the campus. He (keeping up with friends, etc), said there were no problems at all and students he knew had a good time.

As with others, I'd take my chances with a hurricane zone over a major earthquake zone for everyday life. Hurricanes are well known in advance and there's a bit of help if people need it (students ended up helping each other and enjoying their time together). With an earthquake, even if your building is fine, what about the building or road you're on when it hits? No one knows that part.

Then, of course, no place is really safe. My oldest was in a college in GA that had to shut down and cancel finals his freshman year due to the huge tornado outbreak all over multiple southeastern states. His school (on top of a mountain) wasn't hurt at all aside from some tree branches, but the tornadoes tore through the valleys destroying at least one professor's home (along with oodles of other non-college related homes) and affecting the water supply, etc. Going in, who would have thought he'd be in nature's way? He was way above flood damage, not in an earthquake zone, etc.

One actually takes their chances anywhere they go/live. Nature can reach anywhere if she wants to. Hurricanes at least give a lot of warning. Can't say the same about tornadoes (or earthquakes).

Returning to the thread - I hope the massive amounts of rain expected goes as well as it can. As a pp said, massive amounts of rain have been happening lately in oodles of states including my own (PA) causing flooding, land slides, and more. One can hardly pick a college based upon that or they'd be continually eliminating schools. I'm glad our house is up on a hill though!
    · Reply · Share
  • EmbracethemessEmbracethemess 306 replies4 postsRegistered User Member
    My D's uni in central North Carolina closed for 4 days last year due to hurricane Florence. She and a good friend decided not to travel home but instead took the opportunity to road trip... to NOLA!! Sunny and gorgeous in Nola that week-end. They had a blast!
    · Reply · Share
  • sushirittosushiritto 3684 replies9 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited July 13
    @jym626 No idea what you’re talking about. Roads not rebuilt after 30 years? Which roads? Where?

Everything to my knowledge was rebuilt many many years ago. A section of the Bay Bridge and the Embarcadero freeway collapsed, but the Bay Bridge between Treasure Island and Oakland was replaced with a more aesthetic bridge and the Embarcadero freeway was completely removed and the all the roads were rebuilt or replaced. And the China Basin and SOMA areas are almost all new with Oracle Park (fka AT&T Park) being built in 2000. And the waterfront is beautiful now without the ugly concrete freeway.

No major earthquakes since 1989. Knock on wood. Yes we all have different levels of comfort and I’d rather live in earthquake country than tornados and hurricanes.

Edit: I don’t want to violate ToS so moving on.
    edited July 13
    · Reply · Share
  • 1or2Musicians1or2Musicians 1370 replies0 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    “FYI- we had a sudden deluge of about 7" of rain in 2-3 hours on Wednesday morning that flooded some streets. It was unexpected, hit during the morning rush hour and caused a lot of trouble.”

@greenwitch , I think the fact that this happened as people were starting to talk about the storm led some media outlets to conflate the two.

I’m in Baton Rouge and we had a similar thing happen last month. It rained several inches between about 8 and 11 AM. Severe street flooding in many spots. There were also a couple of small tornadoes. By mid afternoon most of the streets had drained.

I predict zero effect on LSU’s enrollment as a result of this weather incident.
    · Reply · Share
  • momtogkcmomtogkc 709 replies19 postsRegistered User Member
    D19 is starting Tulane next month and I am not worried. We live on the coast in FL so are used to hurricane season - you have time to prepare and decide if you want to leave or not. The only difference will be that I will probably be more cautious with her - at home we have never evacuated so far (19 years here) but with her at Tulane I am guessing I'll fly her out if anything looks too bad.

We also had to fill out an evacuation plan which kind of made me laugh. Our plan is "fly home" but I know that when these storms come it can be almost impossible to get a flight at the last minute so who knows what will actually happen. Last year we considered evacuating to my mom's before a storm but by the time we decided there were no flights left to the northeast. And we have an option of flying out of Miami, Ft. Lauderdale or West Palm so tons of choices - the NO airport is tiny so will not have many flights anywhere.

@1or2Musicians Good luck this weekend - looks like you will begetting hit worse than NO now.
    · Reply · Share
  • 1or2Musicians1or2Musicians 1370 replies0 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Thanks @momtogkc. So far we’ve had just a bit of rain but we know there’s more on the way. Barry is in no hurry, which as you know is not a good thing because it means more rain.
    · Reply · Share
    edited July 13
    @momtogkc - lots of students have cars and take classmates with them (my SD brought someone home with him when he came). There are also busses that take students to college campuses not affected by the weather. Its pretty well organized.
    edited July 13
    · Reply · Share
  • momtogkcmomtogkc 709 replies19 postsRegistered User Member
    Thanks @jym626 - I have read about that on the parents FB page. They do seem very organized. Right now the president is sleeping in the dorms to be on campus with the kids who are still there. I thought that was pretty nice considering he lives just next door to campus.
    · Reply · Share
    IIRC, the president’s house is actually right on the front edge of campus (kinda near the admissions office)
    · Reply · Share
  • snowballsnowball 2697 replies243 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    My son was a Tulane senior during Katrina. After 2 "false alarms" previous years, he didn't rush to leave town, much to his parent's dismay! When he finally arrived home, he brought 3 friends, one from Mobile and the other two from the Northeast. If was a scary time for all.

Said son, wife and baby currently live in New Orleans and had their street flood on Wednesday; are area not know for flooding. There was just too much rain in a short period of time, so drainage was slow. As my son is on call this weekend, which is an hour north of New Orleans, they are at their home there. Just moments ago I received a video of my granddaughter playing in the yard; no rain yet! Knowing my son, if he hadn't had to work, he would have stayed in New Orleans as he always thinks the news makes too big of a deal out of the weather; not sure my DIL would agree.
    · Reply · Share
  • collegemom9collegemom9 783 replies29 postsRegistered User Member
    My one rule initially for my son was no “hurricane” schools. I relented and he applied to UMiami and Tulane lol. I think if he hadn’t gotten into his ED choice he most likely would have ended up at Tulane. I am glad that he didn’t only because hurricane season would have just about killed me each year. It’s a stress I’m glad I won’t have to deal with.
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 6657 replies42 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I think it's all about what you grow up with and what feels "normal". I'm good with blizzards, nor'easters, and hurricanes. Tornadoes, earthquakes, and wildfires scare me to pieces.
    Hopefully everyone stays safe and dry in NO.
    · Reply · Share