right arrow
PARENTS4PARENTS is a new initiative aimed at highlighting the vast expertise of our parents community while helping other parents better navigate the college admissions process. aggies1989 is a UC alumnus and parent of two UC college kids. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: fintech3753 is a current student at the Wharton School. Majoring in finance, he is hoping to pursue a career at the intersection of finance and technology. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Ladies -- opinion on foundation garments

Replies to: Ladies -- opinion on foundation garments

• orangepurpleorangepurple 286 replies15 threads Member
    I spend a lot of time trying on dresses to find the ones that work without shapewear. I just get too darn hot to contemplate anything more than my regular undergarments.
    I like some workout gear with a bit of compression, so maybe there are compression levels that would work if I kept trying different kinds of shapewear...but so far, I haven't found anything I like.
    I certainly would like to look a little smoother under my clothes. I have a little pooch thing that I am sure will never completely go away.
    · Reply · Share
  • colorado_momcolorado_mom 9502 replies83 threads Senior Member
    "I spend a lot of time trying on dresses to find the ones that work without shapewear." - Same here. But I'm 20 pounds lighter than a few years ago, so when the next kid gets married, dress shopping will hopefully be easier.

· Reply · Share
  • showmom858showmom858 3185 replies16 threads Senior Member
    @BunsenBurner - I ordered the Simone Perele one you posted above to wear under the dress I am wearing at a wedding next month.
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 41472 replies480 threads Senior Member
    edited July 2019
    Hope it works out for you!
    edited July 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • deb922deb922 6474 replies204 threads Senior Member
    @eyemamom, another one who always wears a bike short type undergarment under dresses. Even if I don’t have to, lol!

Wearing a dress today on this very hot and humid day. With tight shorts underneath. I feel very comfortable

· Reply · Share
  • walkinghomewalkinghome 7531 replies298 threads Senior Member
    For my daughters wedding a few years ago, I intended to wear shapewear with my MOB dress, but on the day of the event, I decided it looked fine and I was comfortable without. Looking at the pictures later, I wish I HAD worn something. I'm not fat, but that 60 year old belly pouch shows up. Fortunately, my smile was so big that I'm not sure anyone but me noticed. I like the suggestions of wearing the proposed item ahead of time in a similar dress to see if it works. I knew mine was not so comfortably tight and that's why I decided not to wear it. I didn't realize that I could have gone with a larger size, just to smooth out more or that there were kinds with crotch openings.
    · Reply · Share
  • eyemamomeyemamom 5428 replies79 threads Senior Member
    I just got spanx shorts and sure enough they roll right down from the waistband. Back to my under armour 4” inch shorts.
    I like to wear maxis - the Tommy bahama type in the summer. The shorts under them are perfect. I look more pulled together but feel like I’m wearing a nightgown.
    For more formal or work I wear spanx one piece. I’ve grown accustomed to feeling like an encased sausage.
    · Reply · Share
    For folks who like to wear bike shorts-like shaping undies, I recommend these yoga shorts:

https://shop.lululemon.com/p/women-shorts/Align-Short-6/_/prod8351150?color=0001

The Align line of pants comes in 4", crop, and full length, too.
    · Reply · Share
  • TempeMomTempeMom 2970 replies25 threads Senior Member
    I have wondered If someone hugging me could feel the "casing." LOL
    · Reply · Share
  • Midwest67Midwest67 4195 replies15 threads Senior Member
    At least we are not wearing 1950s girdles plus the strappy things to hold up our hose!

We’ve come a long way, baby!
    · Reply · Share
  • colorado_momcolorado_mom 9502 replies83 threads Senior Member
    "We’ve come a long way, baby!" - Ha, if you say so..... In my thinking, we've regressed. a lot with current cling styles and use of spanx. I'm not saying folks should not wear them if they like that option. I'm just saying I'd dread it as much as old fashioned girdle. (I will admit the bike shorts don't look too awful - I'd consider myself it for a non-summer wedding - it's fun to still be learning things on cc!).
    · Reply · Share
  • conmamaconmama 5004 replies352 threads Senior Member
    edited July 2019
    I remember wearing not only pantyhose to work, but a slip! Why did we wear slips? I had 2 lengths.
    edited July 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • eyemamomeyemamom 5428 replies79 threads Senior Member
    Oooh slips! I remember being so excited to own a slip. I wanted a one piece dress looking slip so badly. I grew up dancing and wearing ballet tights so pantyhose never seemed a big deal to me. In fact none of this is a big deal to me, if I could be like scarlet O’Hara hanging onto the bedpost while someone was cinching me in I’d probably do it.
    · Reply · Share
  • psychmommapsychmomma 3351 replies47 threads Senior Member
    Omg I still have two slips in my closet. I haven't worn them in many years, but kept them just in case. I've always liked long, flown skirts, so I still like the idea of a slip to prevent seeing through fabric. I've never bought Spanx or any other tightening/compressing garment, but I love Jockey Skimmies - slip shorts.
    · Reply · Share
  • college_querycollege_query 4467 replies362 threads Senior Member
    There are Spanx for men, too.
    · Reply · Share
    " I don't hear of men purchasing garments so that they don't bulge and have lumps and bumps."

Spanx for men is apparently very successful. Tommy John prides itself on offering shaping undershirts. There other brands as well.
    · Reply · Share
  • greenbuttongreenbutton 2777 replies126 threads Senior Member
    Slips!! I still own a couple half-slips, which are sometimes handy for making a knit skirt less clingy, but yeah -- what an idea. I remember being taught to stand in front of the light, then bend over to look and see if anyone could see your legs. I don't know what we were thinking....
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity