right arrow
PARENTS4PARENTS is a new initiative aimed at highlighting the vast expertise of our parents community while helping other parents better navigate the college admissions process. aggies1989 is a UC alumnus and parent of two UC college kids. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: fintech3753 is a current student at the Wharton School. Majoring in finance, he is hoping to pursue a career at the intersection of finance and technology. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Ladies -- opinion on foundation garments

Replies to: Ladies -- opinion on foundation garments

• HImomHImom 36067 replies396 threads Senior Member
    I personally haven't heard men talking about undergarments or foundation garments like women do. I also don't believe they are nearly as popular, at least in the circles I travel in.
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 41472 replies480 threads Senior Member
    edited July 2019
    Dudes rarely talk about clothes in general. Just look how many guys posted in our "dressing young" thread. ;) The Spanx undies for men sold at Nordstrom do have a few reviews; the reviews are predominantly positive, and some are written by men in addition to a handful of reviews written by the wives who bought it for their halves in the hopes of smoothing their beer bellies. :)
    edited July 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • colorado_momcolorado_mom 9507 replies83 threads Senior Member
    I too used to have a variety of slips, mostly half-slips (in 1980s with one and two slips). Few of my dresses are sheer enough to need them. When I did go to use a half slip last year, it turned out the elastic was no longer stretchy.
    · Reply · Share
  • walkinghomewalkinghome 7532 replies298 threads Senior Member
    @HImom - Men's clothes are MUCH more forgiving then womens clothes and bumps and bulges can be easily hidden. The dress up style for women almost requires form fitting clothes. I find that really irritating, especially in the winter months where men wear suit jackets but women are expected to wear thin and sleeveless dresses. I always have a sweater or a wrap but I always envy my husband his suit jacket.
    · Reply · Share
    And men have to sweat buckets in their suits in the summer heat. We got them. ;)
    · Reply · Share
    winter: " women are expected to wear thin and sleeveless dresses. " - I ignore those expectations... though admittedly being fashionable has never been all that important to me . I also (gasp) sometimes wear nude pantyhose in the winter, but more usually black tight/pantyhose which seem to be more "allowed". Hmm... fashion pendulums tend to swing, so someday we may be discussing control top pantyhose (which I also avoid) instead of spanx.
    · Reply · Share
  • mompopmompop 211 replies3 threads Junior Member
    I have several half slips and almost always wear one under a skirt or dress. I didn't think that was unusual- I see slips for sale at Target and figured they were still common place!
    · Reply · Share
  • rhododendronrhododendron 424 replies19 threads Member
    I recently tried on a skirt that went right back on the rack when I saw my legs clearly back-lit in the mirror. I had a flash of that famous Princess (to be) Diana photo. I haven't worn a slip in decades.

My daughters always wear shorts under their dresses and skirts. I alternate between bike shorts and shapewear, depending on the situation.
    · Reply · Share
  • Materof2Materof2 260 replies4 threads Junior Member
    check out shapermint.
    · Reply · Share
    edited July 2019
    @colorado_mom - But where to find semi-formal dresses that are warm and look nice? That's my challenge. The selection in petites is usually limited to start with so I often end up choosing something that "will do" instead of something that I actually like. I too am not very aware of what the current fashion is, and wear nude pantyhose routinely for the warmth (once or twice a year), but that doesn't mean that I can FIND dresses that are 1) warm 2)fit and 3) look nice. I have worn pants and a dressy top but have felt underdressed. I'm thinking of annual winter events that I have to figure out every year.
    edited July 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • bookwormbookworm 9299 replies74 threads Senior Member
    Having tried on a dozen dresses in the past week, it is clear I’ll need this too. This thread has been so helpful. For the record, where did Simon Peale? A department store?

Sadly, I’ve never had to wear a girdle.
    · Reply · Share
    @walkinghome - I admittedly don't have many winter dress-up occassions (other than church). Usually I wear black dress pants with heels (instead of my normal flats).

But... while shopping for DD's wedding I did find a short navy short-ish sleeve dress at Kohls dress that I just love. Although it was not dressy enough for the wedding, I bought it anyway. I've worn it with pearls to hubbie's Christmas work party (2 years, I think) and 2 funerals. ( LOL - had I known I'd be substitute pall bearer at one of the funerals, I might have opted for pants. ) It was NOT this dress (mine is closer to black and longer sleeves ) ... but waistline similar - https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-3646640/womens-dana-buchman-shirred-wrap-dress.jsp?prdPV=37
    This link has a few Petite dresses that I like which would look ok w/o shapeware for me ... https://www.kohls.com/catalog/womens-blue-petite-long-sleeve-dresses-clothing.jsp?CN=Gender:Womens+Color:Blue+SizeRange:Petite+SleeveLength:3~4 Sleeve+SleeveLength:Short Sleeve+SleeveLength:Long Sleeve+Category:Dresses+Department:Clothing&BL=y&S=1&PPP=60&pfm=browse-pdp-breadcrumb refine&kls_sbp=69803890367413184104135031918394998111 (my favorite is the 89.99 R&M RIchards jacketed dress)

· Reply · Share
    @colorado_mom - We have similar tastes! I have this dress in long sleeves https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-3637370/chaps-v-neck-flutter-short-sleeve-dress.jsp?color=Merlot&prdPV=1 It's not bad, but I wouldn't consider it warm -not with the deep neckline and thin material. It works well enough though with a wrap.
    · Reply · Share
  • atpatp 69 replies11 threads Junior Member
    If you don't find Spanx comfortable, try another brand! I'm short, can't stand being uncomfortable, and have never had any Spanx that worked for me. The brand that has worked best for me is TC Fine Intimates, both a high-waisted boy short and a "romper."
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 10488 replies124 threads Senior Member
    I have a cashmere pashmina that I wear in the winter although I have managed to find two long sleeved, semi-formal black dresses over the years. They are still winter staples for me.
    · Reply · Share
    Bought a new (to me) gently shaping thingy today while waking through Nordstrom. Called Body Base by Wacoal. Tried it on. Wow. So comfy!!

https://m.shop.nordstrom.com/s/wacoal-body-base-smoothing-shorts-any-2-for-48/4436464/full
    · Reply · Share
  • 1214mom1214mom 5412 replies198 threads Senior Member
    I am fairly in shape, as are many of you, but i do own shapewear. The thing i wear most is actually from Talbots (their brand). It doesn’t roll or practically cut off my circulation like the Spanx one I have. I also have another one that has a pink apple on it, but I don’t know what brand that is.
    · Reply · Share
  • dentmom4dentmom4 1529 replies4 threads Senior Member
    Looks like the shapewear from Talbots is all spanx. Which item did you buy?
    · Reply · Share
  • momo2x2018momo2x2018 1170 replies75 threads Senior Member
    Spanx makes an 'easy access' shapewear named Suit Your Fancy 5-way Shapewear Converible
    (soinds like a model of Ferrari, lol!)
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity