right arrow
PARENTS4PARENTS is a new initiative aimed at highlighting the vast expertise of our parents community while helping other parents better navigate the college admissions process. aggies1989 is a UC alumnus and parent of two UC college kids. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: fintech3753 is a current student at the Wharton School. Majoring in finance, he is hoping to pursue a career at the intersection of finance and technology. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Ladies -- opinion on foundation garments

1235»

Replies to: Ladies -- opinion on foundation garments

• 1214mom1214mom 5398 replies198 threads Senior Member
    @dentmom4, I have no idea - it’s MANY years old (as in I’m glad you told me that - will help me figure out what to replace it with). It’s fairly light, and goes down on your legs and doesn’t roll up or cut off your circulation. It’s not really tight, like my actual SPANX.
    · Reply · Share
  • wis75wis75 14400 replies65 threads Senior Member
    @walkinghome. I see so many nice things in the petites section on y way to the women's one. Even if I were thin they would not do for me as most dresses are too short waisted, sigh.

I like seeing the posters voting for comfort. Be your age! Hopefully you are also opting out of high heels- if they were that great men would wear them. If you are short you are still short. Your legs won't look better enough to justify the torture. Etc.
    · Reply · Share
  • walkinghomewalkinghome 7531 replies298 threads Senior Member
    @wis75 , I never got into the heel habit and my favorite shoe is barefoot! 😬 Do you know how Elizabeth Warren dresses? That’s about what I like to wear.
    · Reply · Share
    edited September 2019
    Sigh, my physician recommends now not going barefoot in the house as we age. I finally started using extra cushy sliders (can't stand anything between my toes so flip flops out) on our hard tile Florida floors. Miss having a softer surface instead of a concrete slab under flooring as had up north- even good carpet pads aren't the same as they are there. And grass here not the nice stuff of up north either. Sandals except when required for the gym- doable in this climate.

I hope most people are looking at your face and its animation, not your body shape. Cosmetics are yet another area where too many spend too much time and money. Most of us are not model beautiful but also not unpleasant to look at. Being comfortable is more likely to give us better facial expressions.

Perhaps it is easier for those of us who never were valued for our looks and never used that as a measure of who we were/are.
    edited September 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 36059 replies396 threads Senior Member
    Most of us in HI are barefoot indoors nearly all our lives. My folks at 90/95 are, as are H and I and our extended family.

The one person in our extended family that wears footwear indoors does so because she injured her ankle. The other 40 of us are barefoot.

Not sure footwear really relates to foundation garments. I personally have no experience — I still wear half-slips. I guess I’m a dinosaur but comfortable. I figure why not opt for comfort—whatever it is for each of us? I’m told I look fine (and do get compliments on my appearance) so I don’t worry much.

I’m allergic to many things so avoid cosmetics as many have sulfites as preservatives, which I’m allergic to.
    · Reply · Share
  • MomofWildChildMomofWildChild 23984 replies208 threads Senior Member
    "Perhaps it is easier for those of us who never were valued for our looks and never used that as a measure of who we were/are. "

That's, um, interesting. I certainly think I was valued for much more than my looks throughout my life, but I still enjoy looking my best (most of the time) and think makeup can be fun and can enhance your features. It's not a measure of who I am, but I do appreciate people who take some interest in their appearance and grooming. It doesn't mean you can't be comfortable!
    · Reply · Share
    Comfort definitely should trump appearance. Accepting that a 40, 50, older body is never going to be the same as your younger one. Pay attention to personality that makes an average person more attractive than the physically most beautiful. Those wedding guests will remember you for your smile and happiness much more than for what you looked like from the neck down.

Enjoying looking one's best is a lot easier when starting near the top. It just isn't worth the extra effort for many of us. No matter how many foundation garments, cosmetics et al one uses the basic body still shows. We are no longer competing for a mate. Relax and allow yourself to be. Think about it- attracting a male was, not is, something we all did subconsciensly at least.

Some is very different than wearing products to push/pull, raise, et al. We all take an interest in our appearance but when society drills into us that we are not as attractive it is not worth effort to achieve what comes naturally to some. Some of the nicest, most fun, intellectually stimulating women- the list goes on and on- are not packaged in the more attractive bodies. Why waste excessive time and effort on attempting to look as good as those naturally attractive? Your definition of how much time it is worth will be different from many others.

Figure out what appearance is worth the time, cost, effort for you. Finding clothes that fit and we like can be very difficult. It is so much easier to fall into average size ranges- from head to toe. The majority do not get as frustrated trying to find something in the ir size, regardless of weight. Big feet, tall, long waisted women just are not marketed to. The higher end stores do not attempt to offer those sizes. Online shopping- sure, buy, get, try on, return...

btw- just as hard for small slim men.
    · Reply · Share
  • MomofWildChildMomofWildChild 23984 replies208 threads Senior Member
    I’m sorry you are so unhappy with yourself!
    · Reply · Share
  • dentmom4dentmom4 1529 replies4 threads Senior Member
    In everyday life, I wear no shapewear or makeup. Ever. My makeup lasts for years (and is good quality Bobbie Brown). I have 4 pieces of shapewear that have never been replaced. I have worn makeup 5 times in the last 12 months, shapewear 6: all for special occasions.

But, when my S and D were married, you bet I pulled out everything I had. I learned earlier on CC to put on what you intended to wear, take pictures indoors and out to see how it all looks in different lighting. I’m a pale, fading redhead and I found out that the “extra” help gives me the polished look I wanted.......but I’m not interested in doing it daily.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity