right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

Seeking suggestions for dining out and something to do for one (mostly) full day in Austin, TX

Replies to: Seeking suggestions for dining out and something to do for one (mostly) full day in Austin, TX

• preironicpreironic 452 replies37 threadsRegistered User Member
    When we go to Esther's Follies, we try to eat at Moonshine. It's walking distance to Esther's. You can see their menu on-line. They have a great, but very popular happy hour. Corn dog shrimp!!!
    · Reply · Share
  • preironicpreironic 452 replies37 threadsRegistered User Member
    On Saturday you could hit a movie to beat the heat. There are several Alamo Drafthouse cinemas where you can have drinks and a meal in comfort while watching a movie (true laid-back Austin vibe with each cinema having its own personality) and there is also the Violet Crown downtown that also serves food and drinks and has very small and comfortable theaters showing indie flicks. They have free parking in an attached garage. You can reserve seats at any of these places.
    · Reply · Share
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse 29249 replies57 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I’m eavesdropping here. Will be in Austin myself at end of this month. I’ll be flying out as you are coming in! I’m arriving there late Saturday evening, July 27th and spending two full days, Sunday and Monday there , leaving at crack of dawn Tuesday, the 30th.
    · Reply · Share
  • Youdon'tsayYoudon'tsay 19165 replies457 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Everyone visit Austin! But then go home. ; )
    · Reply · Share
  • HoggirlHoggirl 1684 replies196 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @Youdon'tsay - lol. I feel ya’! “Don’t move to Florida - we’re full!”
    · Reply · Share
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn 38119 replies2088 threadsSuper Moderator Super Moderator
    Same with Maine - it's a horrible, cold place. ;)
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 38739 replies467 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Do not even try to stick around Seattle, but we love your tourism $$. ;)
    · Reply · Share
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse 29249 replies57 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Ha, ha. Feel the same way about NY. But I’ve been here for quite awhile now.
    · Reply · Share
  • emilybeeemilybee 13142 replies35 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    June’s All Day is very nice. A smallish cafe on S. Congress St. across the Congress St (bat bridge) Bridge from downtown. https://junesallday.com/

June’s was featured on the Today Show the day before we went to Austin the first time we went so we quickly made reservation.

Since you are with adult child, Rainey Street is hopping day and night. It’s only about 2 blocks long, but several restaurants, bars and food truck courts. Lots of music. We especially liked El Naranjo. https://www.elnaranjorestaurant.com/

If you are up for a short drive out of town, (30 minutes or so) the Deep Eddy Vodka Distillery in Dripping Springs was great to do vodka tastings. Nice patio outdoors to sit and sip/drink. https://www.deepeddyvodka.com/age-gate

We also really enjoyed LBJ Museum and the hotel we stay at has bikes for guests use and so we’ve biked around Lady Bird Lake.
    · Reply · Share
  • yauponreduxyauponredux 727 replies25 threadsRegistered User Member
    edited July 16
    We love Esther’s Follies but advise keeping your wits about you when walking to & from your car, as 6th street has become dicey over the last few years. Fewer drunk frat bros to dodge in the summer but lots of petty street crime. Consider valet parking at the Westin or the Hilton a block or so away from EF.

If you want bbq but don’t want to spend time in line, Micklethwaite is where Franklin sends folks when they run out, and it’s very good (but like Valentina’s, it’s outdoors). Stiles Switch or Lambert’s are our picks for bbq with a/c. Sunday brunch at Lambert’s, Elizabeth Street Café, or Fonda San Miguel would be wonderful if there’s not a post-wedding brunch already on your agenda.

+1 on @txstella suggestion to visit the downtown library. There is a small parking garage underneath it, but Trader Joe’s parking isn’t far (or City Hall garage) if it’s full. And Lupe’s may be a Houston import, but their fajitas are first rate, and they make their own tortillas. I like Tacodeli and Torchy’s, but they lose points for not having homemade tortillas.

Our favorite happy hours are at Uchi/Uchiko, Salty Sow, and Jack Allen’s.
    edited July 16
    · Reply · Share
    @yauponredux - eek, thanks. I appreciate the tip on the parking. You’re scaring me a little bit. Hoping that because we are going to the earlier show that might make things a bit safer?

While I appreciate the barbecue tips, it isn’t something we are looking for. I don’t want to start a political debate - ha ha - barbecue to us means pork, not beef. Sorry, Texas friends!

Am I going to encounter flour or corn tortillas at all these taco places you are suggesting? I’m GF. One thing I love about California *fish* tacos is that they are almost always served on corn tortillas.
    · Reply · Share
  • yauponreduxyauponredux 727 replies25 threadsRegistered User Member
    edited July 16
    Yes, things won’t be quite so crazy leaving the early show. Most of the problems have been ~2am, when the bars empty lots of drunk people into the street. And not to dissuade you - but just to say make sure least some folks in your party are sufficiently sober to exercise the normal caution you want to use in any unfamiliar area. There is a visible police presence, and on weekend nights they generally block off some of 6th so it’s just pedestrian traffic.

Taco places will have both corn and flour tortillas. Most will ask you what kind you want, but the default in many places is flour, so if GF be sure to specify corn.
    edited July 16
    · Reply · Share
  • Nrdsb4Nrdsb4 16857 replies157 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I'm a little surprised that so many are recommending Torchy's tacos-it's a chain restaurant.

That said, our nephew arrived on Tuesday night to spend the summer with us (he lives in Upper West Side Manhattan), and guess where he wanted to eat his very first night? Yep, Torchy's.
    · Reply · Share
  • txstellatxstella 1095 replies5 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    As @yauponredux Valet park near EF. Do not go north toward 7th and Neches. And watch out for the scooters! Have fun! My son’s favorite taco place is One Taco on the west side of downtown.
    · Reply · Share
    I appreciate all the parking tips! Y’all are still making me nervous!
    · Reply · Share
  • rockymtnhigh2rockymtnhigh2 236 replies2 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    We went downtown last week in Austin (where D2 lives) by Uber. She did not want to deal with the parking when we went to a restaurant. There’s always that choice. Afterwards we walked around the downtown then got an Uber from where we ended up. Fun and relaxing.
    · Reply · Share
    @cptofthehouse - how was your Austin trip? Any additional insights to share having only just returned from there?
    · Reply · Share
    edited July 31
    I visited the Pink Capitol , went to the Oasis and saw sunset at Cafe Mozart. Dinner at Chez Zee’s and Sunday brunch at Fonda San Miguel. The desserts, particularly, at all these places sublime. Hamilton beach preserve, gorgeous. I passed on the nude beach option. Saw bats on Congress Ave Bridge. Shopped st a Super Target and Half Brice Books. Stayed at a very reasonably priced brand new Candlewood Hotel—just opened this year with full kitchen and office resources.

It just about killed me to make my 5am Flight back to east coast. Austin Airport is small but:
    1) Returning rental car means loooong walk to terminal and gates
    2) Because speed limit is 75 mph, you are not going to beat the GPS time estimates even at 3:30 am because you have to catch all those exit ramps on the highways so you are not going to be driving speed limit much less over it.
    3) I was unlucky at the airport in that I had to walk back and forth at TSA check in due to broken scanners which added quite the distance to my walk, no, dash to the gates. I kept my record of having my flight gates be the absolute furthest one away both at Austin and at connecting airport. I got in several miles of hiking and sprinting, carrying way too much luggage that I snuck onto the flight. I do not suggest spending too much time at Half Price Books. Can get free bricks to weigh down your luggage even more efficiently
    edited July 31
    · Reply · Share
    @cptofthehouse - thanks. Good to know on the rental car and GPS. Our flight is later in the morning, but we have to get the rental car back by 9:00 a.m on Sunday, or we are charged for another day.
    · Reply · Share
    Oh, getting the rental car back is not the problem. They make that easy in that you just follow the signs for car rental return and it’s right at the terminal, no shuttle buses involved. But what I didn’t know was that the distance between the car drop off and the terminal is not close. Especially when hauling too many heavy bags like I was
    · Reply · Share