right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Seeking suggestions for dining out and something to do for one (mostly) full day in Austin, TX

13»

Replies to: Seeking suggestions for dining out and something to do for one (mostly) full day in Austin, TX

• collage1collage1 1768 replies72 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    We're planning a trip to Austin in the fall and I just wanted to say thanks for all the great suggestions. This will make my trip planning incredibly easy!
    · Reply · Share
  • HoggirlHoggirl 1717 replies197 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited August 6
    Hello!
    We had a wonderful time in Austin! Esther’s Follies was, per ds, a “find.” VERY funny and fast-paced. I am not a super fan of magic, but that was only a portion of the show. The political comedy sketches were hilarious. Highly recommend regardless of your political persuasion, and it’s inexpensive.

We had plenty of Tex-Mex. I thought Torchy’s (we went there for breakfast) was okay, but Juan in a Million was excellent. I’m so glad someone mentioned that the line moves quickly there, or we might not have tried it. We made it to Matt’s and had our Large Bob (their yummy queso) as part of our meal. We did the overlook at Mount Bonnell (nice to get some steps in after the plane ride) and the LBJ Library. The library was very well done. I particularly liked the way they set the timeline in context with other world events. There were also periodic screens showing clips of the cultural influences of the time. The Motown exhibit was excellent as well. We hit a few craft breweries in and around downtown which made dh happy (I am not a beer person).

The wedding itself was spectacular. Quite the setting. And, being the creeper I am, quite the expense. I looked up the wedding page at the hotel when we got home. Yowza! Glad I have a boy! The food ALONE (not counting the cake) totaled near $40,000 per my calculations and that is not including the four-hour-long open bar. There were 260 in attendance. We got some great family photos in a lovely setting. We only knew the groom and his family, and as happy as I was to see ds and spend time with him, I kind of wish they had seated him with some of the younger folks instead of us. We were at the groom’s parents’ table. He has no trouble meeting people, and I think he would have enjoyed himself more sitting with the younger crowd. The food was good, but the plated dinner service was extremely slow - cut into the mingling and dancing time for sure.

Thanks to all for the tips. I promise we’ll hit the bats next time we are in town.
    edited August 6
    · Reply · Share
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn 38447 replies2106 threadsSuper Moderator Super Moderator
    So glad you had a wonderful time! I'm glad you went up Mount Bonnell. :) That's where DH and I spent our first Valentine's Day, when we'd known each other less than a month.
    · Reply · Share
  • Youdon'tsayYoudon'tsay 19210 replies459 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Glad my recommendations panned out! Juan's isn't everyone's idea of a place for visitors because it's not fancy, but the clientele usually is a wonderful cross-section of Austin. I'm glad you liked it! And good to hear you enjoyed the library and the Motown exhibit. I haven't made it out to see that exhibit yet.
    · Reply · Share
  • HoggirlHoggirl 1717 replies197 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @Youdon'tsay - I’d much rather get some local flavor than go “fancy.” We had plenty of fancy in conjunction with the wedding.
    · Reply · Share