right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Do you have memories of the Moon Walk/Launch?

authorauthor 332 replies29 postsRegistered User Member
Do you remember where you were?
The launch of Apollo 11 on July 16, 1969, saw astronauts Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins lift off from Launch Pad 39A on a journey to the Moon and into history.
The moon walk was on July 20th.
50 years ago this morning at 9:32 a.m. EDT; Apollo 11 lifted off from Cape Canaveral. I remember the moment. I watched it as I got ready to go out to my summer job as a Inner city playground supervisor. I was a little late that morning.
My fathered invited friends and neighbors to watch the moon landing. I remember the den was full as everyone gathered around to see the grainy black and white images and listened to Walter Cronkite's voice. This astonishing event was a huge scientific and technological achievement. Hasn't it been amazing? We have smartphones with more computing power now than the Apollo 11. It was such a great source of human pride; kept us all awake into the late hours of the night.
Did your family gather to celebrate the Moon walk?
48 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Do you have memories of the Moon Walk/Launch?

• thumper1thumper1 73800 replies3218 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Sure do! Spent the time with really really good HS friends. Some had just completed their freshman year in college, and some were rising freshmen. We actually talked about this at a reunion last summer.
    · Reply · Share
  • stradmomstradmom 4984 replies50 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I was at summer camp and we were allowed to gather to listen to the event on a counselor's transistor radio (kids couldn't bring them to camp). My father took photographs of the TV screen at home and sent copies to me, and those were a big hit for everyone.
    · Reply · Share
  • FlyMeToTheMoonFlyMeToTheMoon 2936 replies45 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I remember the walk on the moon. It was just my immediate family, but I thought it was pretty amazing and hoped that I would remember it. I do.
    · Reply · Share
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn 37841 replies2065 postsSuper Moderator Super Moderator
    Wow, @ClassicMom98 that is cool! I almost majored in aerospace engineering, but the prospects weren't great in the '80s so I settled on structural. I would have loved to work for NASA, though.
    I had just turned 7. I remember being glued to our black and white TV. I think the moon landing is the reason I've always enjoyed science fiction. Space exploration fascinates me. :)
    · Reply · Share
  • 4gsmom4gsmom 693 replies24 postsRegistered User Member
    I was 4 and I remember my mom dragging my sisters and I out of bed and downstairs to our TV room to watch Neil Armstrong walk on the moon. I remember the TV was kind of fuzzy and I didn't really understand what was happening, but my mom kept saying how important it was and that she wanted to make sure we saw it.
    · Reply · Share
  • MansfieldMansfield 797 replies2 postsRegistered User Member
    We were at our beach house and my parents had invited several couples to come visit. We were all gathered around a small TV watching Neil Armstrong step onto the moon The adults were pounding down whiskey sours and smoking cigarettes like crazy. Also in the room was my sister's pride and joy - her parakeet April - which she had just received several months earlier for her birthday. The next day April was found dead in her cage, a victim of smoke inhalation. All of the adults were beaming with some sort of national pride while my sister was sobbing. This has become part of our family lore.
    · Reply · Share
  • one+twoone+two 108 replies6 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    Good to see this thread. Most of the people I work with hadn't been born yet so I'm feeling old. I was 7 and at a cottage on Cape Cod with my parents, 2 brothers and grandparents. For several years we spent two weeks each July on Cape Cod. I remember we were allowed to "stay up late" and watch on the small black and white tv in the cottage. I'm not someone who has a lot of clear memories of childhood but I do of those summer vacations and particularly of watching the Moon walk.
    · Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 22433 replies14 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited July 16
    Yes, I remember very well.

My daughter attended Florida Tech, where in the late 1960s almost everyone worked at NASA. The school magazine has been running stories about alums who worked there at the time and what they are doing now. Of course their pride and joy is having Buzz as a prof.

But you know what I didn't remember at all (until the movie) was Apollo 13. We used to watch the launches and sometimes even the splashdowns, but I didn't remember anything about 13 while I was watching the movie. A friend who is a few years older than me remembered it but mostly because Jack Swaggart was an alum of his catholic high school and they were praying for him.
    edited July 16
    · Reply · Share
  • my-3-sonsmy-3-sons 2906 replies49 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Absolutely! We lived in a duplex with my grandparents and since they had the newer tv, the family all gathered in their living room to watch.

Our family was on a group text this morning and I was explaining to the kids how vividly I remember the launch, moon landing and splash down. We’re meeting up in Disney next week and I told them how my favorite part of riding Spaceship Earth in Epcot, is when you see the old footage of Walter Cronkite’s broadcast and reaction to Neil Armstrong stepping into the surface of the moon.
    · Reply · Share
  • ClassicMom98ClassicMom98 126 replies1 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    @MaineLonghorn Me too! but the jobs in the early '90s weren't any better, so I became civil. Always jobs in civil...
    · Reply · Share
  • rickle1rickle1 1817 replies14 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I was 5 and I remember my mom being glued to the TV and telling me what was going on. It was very exciting. I also remember watching the astronauts (on several occasions) return to earth, land in the ocean, and the frogmen diving in to bring them to safety. That was really awesome. Pretty sure my mom was crying tears of joy.
    · Reply · Share
  • jym626jym626 55115 replies2860 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I was with a friend and her family on Cape Cod. I recall watching it with them and being totally wowed.
    · Reply · Share
  • momocarlymomocarly 857 replies7 postsRegistered User Member
    Timely. I just got back for an Apollo Anniversary Car Parade event at work! People dressed up like 1969, all the people who worked in mission control at that time around for a picture. Really nice.
    I was in elementary school and remember watching it on the black and white TV at our house with my dad. Later missions our teacher brought a TV into the classroom.
    Little did I think I would someday be working at NASA. 34 years here now! I still love it.
    · Reply · Share
  • JustaMomJustaMom 2672 replies96 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Apollo 11 - July 20, 1969 - my 11th birthday. It's ingrained in my memory - so much personal attention that year. We didn't have a TV but my mom took me to Sears to watch (listen to) Walter Kronkite and CBS (Sears stayed open 24 hours so customers could come in to watch and rewatch). "Apollo 11" is a fairly frequent trivia question/answer that apparently stumps as frequently. I won $25k in 1989 (20th anniversary) and was asked how I knew the answer so quickly - it was my 11th birthday. The date is part of my history. November 22, 1963 is also a big day in our family...that was my brother's 8th birthday. His not so joyful.
    · Reply · Share
  • ProfessorPlum168ProfessorPlum168 3859 replies84 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I remember my dad arguing with one of his friends (I think a relative of mine) about whether this was really happening or not. The friend was saying that this was a fictional TV episode. I was going into 1st grade so I don't remember much but I know a lot was going on in life during that turbulent times - Vietnam and my brother going to the Army, riots and our neighborhood changing rapidly, the Cubs collapsing, etc.
    · Reply · Share
  • ProfessorPlum168ProfessorPlum168 3859 replies84 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    The "moonwalk" that I do remember happened during a Michael Jackson performance of Billie Jean, I think in 1982? I was in college. MTV and music videos and CDs was just starting in those days. Just reliving the past.
    · Reply · Share
  • MarilynMarilyn 3666 replies124 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Sure, remember it like it was yesterday LOL. It was the summer after high school and I was having a sleepover at a girlfriend's house. We watched it on her rabbit ears TV. Lost touch with her after high school so just googled and am pretty sure I found her on Facebook and Linked In. But she hasn't been active in a couple of years so I don't know if my message saying "hi" will ever reach her. Fun memories!

I also remember going down to the local mall to see Sputnik fly by when I was a little girl - had to get to an open space.
    · Reply · Share
  • CountingDownCountingDown 13358 replies110 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    We were stationed in San Antonio. My dad has always been an astronomy buff, so it was a HUGE deal to him. Mom and Dad let us stay up late. I was 8 1/2 yo, all my sibs were younger, so I don't know if they remember much, if anything. My parents bought a color TV just to watch it -- and of course, the broadcast was in B&W! (My dad STILL has that TV console. Uses it for his tape decks.)

I remember the Gemini launches, too, and was glued to the TV during Apollo 13. It was the only science I found interesting at that age, and when combined with the historical events tied to every launch (and I was a huge history buff even then), it was must-see TV.
    · Reply · Share