right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

Suggestions for best silk or fleece lined thermals for very petite female requested

2»

Replies to: Suggestions for best silk or fleece lined thermals for very petite female requested

• twoinanddonetwoinanddone 22686 replies15 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I grew up in Wisconsin and we did wear base layers on the coldest days (usually long underwear like dualfold under jeans) but in our area people kept their homes and offices cold too because, well, everyone was layered up. We used to joke that we knew it was parent's night or a basketball game when they turned the heat on at school because just for us kids, it was pretty chilly during the day. When I lived in Minneapolis, just the opposite. The heat in stores and offices was cranked all the time. 72 degrees or higher.

My daughter in Wyoming did wear the flannel/fleece lined jeans in February. It was cold walking to class! In her dorm, it was so hot they either used fans all year or cracked the window (when it was 20 below) to cool off the room.

So you have to know the situation in the building you end up in - cooler or heat cranked.
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 74303 replies3251 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    There is an assumption that this kid can wear wool against her body. Some people can’t...and that includes softer wools.

I wouldn’t invest in a lot of wool undergarments unless I was sure the daughter could wear them.
    · Reply · Share
  • abasketabasket 19186 replies854 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Wool can also be harder to launder.

Get her a set of cuddleduds or something not too expensive. She can try these out or use them when she truly might be out for longer periods of time - or choose to just wear the bottoms or just wear the tops. See if she uses them at all before buying additional pieces.

I agree to invest in a good warm longish coat and great socks and gloves/mittens/hat and scarf.
    · Reply · Share
  • iwantalltheinfoiwantalltheinfo 51 replies2 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    I second the Uniqlo idea. They have a number of styles of "heattech" layers: tanks, shirts, leggings that are not very expensive, washable and comfortable. My child wore them one year when some health issues made her feel cold all the time. I wear the tanks often during colder months as an extra layer. And as stated above, they should fit a petite person well.
    · Reply · Share
  • PepperJoPepperJo 285 replies10 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    edited July 17
    She does not care for wool against her body, and I’ve lost way too many sweaters that accidentally went through the washer and dryer. My husband (Chicago born) has a pair of flannel lined jeans that he’s not allowed to wear around us lol. I have some cuddle duds myself that are really comfortable, but I think the uniqlo option sounds good too since you can select the warmth level of your underlayers. She’ll figure out the appropriate layering level quickly. I just want her to have options. 😊
    edited July 17
    · Reply · Share
  • walkinghomewalkinghome 7467 replies297 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I am someone that is always cold and I start wearing light weight base layers in early winter/late fall. As @cbreeze mentioned, the Costco 32 degrees brand is a good one. I have both the camisole kind as well as the scoop neck t-shirt, and the long sleeve. I wear the womens small but for a very petite person, I would buy that and the childrens XL. I also buy cuddle-duds found in the lingerie section of Kohls and sometimes Target. I don't see the need to spend big bucks because these brands work well for me and I wear them daily probably 7 months of the year.
    · Reply · Share
  • jasmomjasmom 1130 replies37 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Winter silks is a good option ( watch for sales). I wouldn’t use washer and dryer, but they hand wash easily and airdry quickly. They offer multiple weights, styles, and sizes. They are comfy and really not noticeable under clothing.
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 38737 replies467 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited July 18
    Silk, especially silk jersey or knit fabrics, can be washed in a front loading washer as long as the washer uses cold water only, no heat at all, and gentle cycle. Sudden changes in water temperature damage silk (never wash in warm, rinse in cold!). Air dry the garments, and there will be no issues. If your daughter wears bras, she should have a plan for hand washing (either manual or hand wash washer cycle). :) She can add a couple of silk underlayers to the job.
    edited July 18
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 34200 replies391 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Cuddleduds go down to 50% off at LandsEnd. I’ve purchased them online. I also have uniqlo, 32degrees heat, smartwool, reí, llbean and paragon, plus some other brands I believe. I get hives when I’m cold, so I pack accordingly to avoid getting cold.

I love Columbia omniheat technology that reflects your body heat back to you and allows warmth without such thick padding.
    · Reply · Share
  • shishamoshishamo 15 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    I am also petite, and always cold. I love Uniqlo Heattech line. Smartwool socks are the ony socks I wear also.
    I used to live in NYC and what I wore there was no different than what I wear here in Pacific Northwest - just add long down parka (get the warmest one) and hat/scarf/gloves/insulated warm boots.
    · Reply · Share