right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

one of the strangest things anyone ever said to me

Replies to: one of the strangest things anyone ever said to me

• lookingforwardlookingforward 34107 replies377 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    My adopted girls don't really look like me, but they think and act as I do and that's what many people recoginize. NO stranger has ever pried (remarkable. I always guessed it's because so many in the northeast have some family member who's adopted or know someone who adopted/is adopted. ?)

But DH's best childhood friend made it clear our girls were lesser than his three kids, because we adopted. That relatonship died that day.
    · Reply · Share
  • inthegardeninthegarden 1170 replies23 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @VaBluebird, Google Capgras' Syndrome. Maybe she thought you had it!
    · Reply · Share
  • ClassicMom98ClassicMom98 141 replies1 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Wow! Some of these are awful! I also hate the smile, it can't be that bad comment. I seem to get that a lot. Once, it was when my infant son was hospitalized for a week. I was out for a walk and it was the only time I set foot outside his closet of a room I several days. Someone said they then... Ugh

My more humorous one was right after I got married and moved here I ran with a running group. Another young guy was new and ran with me. The first thing he said to me was "do you have a weight problem
    · Reply · Share
  • milee30milee30 2095 replies13 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited July 20
    My oldest son was always very small for his age - only 16 pounds when he turned one. Perfectly healthy, spoke at 10 months, etc.... just small. People always felt free to comment on this. The "best" was when we were checking out at Walmart, the clerk asked how old my son was and I replied he'd just turned one. She looked shocked, curled her lip and asked "Somethin' wrong with him?"

Nice.
    edited July 20
    · Reply · Share
  • toledotoledo 4785 replies290 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    My kids are adopted. We frequently got questions or comments about their "real parents", which is somewhat annoying. One time, one of my sons was with me in Walgreens and the clerk asked my then 5 yr. old son, "Who is that woman with you?"
    She thought it was odd for a blond, blue-eyed child to be with a brunette, brown-eyed woman. When I thought about it, I decided she meant well. Maybe she'll catch a kidnapper someday.
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 34315 replies391 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    One of my friends had twin boys--they didn't look anything alike as one was blond, blue eyed and one was dark and light brown hair. She got all sorts of very rude questions and comments from, "Hey are they from different fathers?" "How can they be twins?" She was rather dumbfounded at how clueless and rude people could be!?!?!
    · Reply · Share
  • VaBluebirdVaBluebird 3280 replies229 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @VaBluebird, Google Capgras' Syndrome. Maybe she thought you had it!

LOL!!
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 21115 replies219 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited July 20
    "She thought it was odd for a blond, blue-eyed child to be with a brunette, brown-eyed woman."

I received all kinds of comments about my bi-racial children. Attended a lawn party with my 2 when they were under 5 without my husband. At the time, one was blonde with a very tanned looking complexion. The other has very dark hair with a light complexion. I'm very fair and freckly. A person who I had just met a minute before asked me if my kids were from the same father, similar to @HImom's comment above. I was too flabbergasted to think of a clever retort but certainly thought of a few on the drive home.

Tons of other comments over the years as well with strangers remarking on how we didn't look alike. So impolite. I was raised not to comment on others' appearance.

"My oldest son was always very small for his age"

Ditto. I've always disliked how folks think it is okay to comment on physical factors one can't change and how big children are supposedly better. Lots of comments on my son's small stature (although he was over 9 lbs at birth). One mom remarked how she was surprised I wasn't holding him back for kindergarten. I replied that he will always be on the smaller side (he is) but he's super smart and social and perfectly ready. He was always at the top of his class academically and class president numerous times. Size had nothing to do with it.

I guess I'm just surprised that people don't think more before opening their mouths. We have had less issues with it living in the Northeast than we did in our years in the South and the Caribbean where people seem more willing to say whatever pops into their heads.
    edited July 20
    · Reply · Share
  • bajammbajamm 1650 replies19 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    My grandmother lived just a couple weeks past her 101st birthday. At her funeral the pastor doing the service went to my grandmother's brother, the only living sibling, and asked him if he had won the jackpot? My uncle looked at the pastor kind of quizzicaly and the pastor said, "You know, the pot of money that siblings put money into whenever one dies. The last one standing gets to spend it." I always thought that was such an odd thing to say as people were sitting in the pews preparing for a funeral.
    · Reply · Share
  • AboutTheSameAboutTheSame 3111 replies47 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @rockymtnhigh : CC needs a "hilarious" button for your #10.
    · Reply · Share
  • inthegardeninthegarden 1170 replies23 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited July 20
    @toledo, I hear you. I'm always on the fence about this issue. I'm glad for hyper-vigilance (in light of the Jeffery Epsteins of the world) yet I want a normal family life.

Because of different schedules and pets to care for, we rarely have a whole-family vacation. My daughter and I take lots of girl trips while husband stays home to work, tend the pets etc. I think he'd like to go on vacations with her sometime, but in recent years he only takes her on day-outings unless they stay overnight with a friend. Just too awkward for a dad with a different-race teen daughter. Who wants to risk the stress of that kind of scrutiny? Don't know how that dynamic plays out in biological families of the same race....maybe it's hard for everyone?
    edited July 20
    · Reply · Share
  • ChumomChumom 161 replies1 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @inthegarden That would be funny.
    · Reply · Share