right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

one of the strangest things anyone ever said to me

Replies to: one of the strangest things anyone ever said to me

• HarrietMWelschHarrietMWelsch 2481 replies31 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited July 22
    Much more amusing were the occasional times when D was pushing S2 in his stroller and got the side-eye from people who assumed she was his mom. We lived in a pretty small town then, so it really only happened in places where nobody had any idea who she was, like airports.
    edited July 22
    · Reply · Share
  • bjscheelbjscheel 519 replies5 threadsRegistered User Member
    @college_query Yes with two curly girls we got asked if it was natural all the time when they were little. DH's response was "No, I spent two hours on that this morning". In truth we were lucky if we had chased them around the house with a pick and a spray bottle. But I know people just wanted to comment on it and that's what came to mind.

DD'17 especially still gets comments as her hair is long, red, and curly like Merida's. When people say they like her hair, she says, "Thanks, I grew it myself." Or, to the guy who just said, "Your hair...it's like...red. And curly" all you can do is say yes it is...
    · Reply · Share
  • oldfortoldfort 22895 replies290 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    When D1 was a tween, she was holding her dad's hand while walking in front of me with D2. We were all a bit dressed up because we were going to a party. A guy walked by, looked at them and said to her dad, "Nice." (like you scored with a younger woman). I was going to smack the guy.
    · Reply · Share
  • Midwest67Midwest67 2953 replies12 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    This thread is too much! Yikes!
    · Reply · Share
  • FallGirlFallGirl 8028 replies27 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    S had terrible excema as a baby due to yet to be diagnosed food allergies. A woman ran up to us in a mall and asked me "What's wrong with his face?".
    · Reply · Share
  • eyemamomeyemamom 5421 replies79 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Another thing I’m asked quite often- are your eyes real? I have light blue eyes. I’ve been asked many times over the years if I was wearing colored contacts. Given my fair complexion and blonde hair it shouldn’t be a stretch to believe I also have blue eyes.
    · Reply · Share
  • Bromfield2Bromfield2 3557 replies35 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited July 23
    My parents were immigrants from Eastern Europe and we spoke their native language at home, but outside we spoke English. When I was in fifth grade, we moved to a new neighborhood. There was a girl my age who lived on the same block—she came over with her mother to say hello. We were in the yard and my mother was asking me to do something and she wasn’t speaking English. The newcomers walked into the yard—the mother spoke with a really loud voice—“Hello, hello. We are your neighbors. Do you understand? Do you speak English? You must speak English. What exactly are you?”

Who knows if that would happen today??? I did end up becoming friends with the girl down the street. We reconnected at our 45th high school reunion.
    edited July 23
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 6973 replies49 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @Bromfield2 - Your post reminded me of a teacher I had in elementary school. I have a very ethnic sounding first name that was butchered by everyone. I vividly remember on the first day of school politely correcting her mispronunciation and her telling me that in this country, it was pronounced X. There were two "famous" celebs with the same name and everyone managed to pronounce their names correctly but from then on, she called me her "American" version of my name. It happened in like the 2nd grade and I'll never forget it because then it stuck. The following year a friend starting who knew how much it bothered me, started calling me a nickname, and I've been that ever since.
    · Reply · Share
  • mom2andmom2and 2817 replies19 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    When my son was a baby, we brought him into a store in the car seat. He had very curly hair. The woman at the counter remarked as to what a cute baby girl we had. We nicely said that he was a boy. She turned to my husband and said "Are you sure?".
    As to names, my DH's last name is not difficult but is usually pronounced incorrectly. When my son was little he and DH had an argument about how to pronounce it because the teacher's and friends all pronounced it incorrectly. Later, we were out with son's GF's family after graduation. The person reading the names to hand out diplomas had pronounced son's last name correctly, but the GF's mom very sincerely asked me if I was upset about the way it was pronounced and I was totally confused until I realized she had it totally wrong.
    Minor in comparison to the nasty remarks some are subjected to, but somewhat amusing to us!
    · Reply · Share
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn 38099 replies2086 threadsSuper Moderator Super Moderator
    Other comments I've recalled:
    When I was in 8th grade, a lady at church commented to my mom, in my presence, "Isn't MLH pleasantly plump?" with a big smile on her face.
    In 7th grade, my gym teacher told me, "You know, MLH, if you lost some weight, you would be able to do gymnastics better, like the other girls..."
    One of my college profs was my dad's colleague. At a university party, the guy told my mom, "MLH doesn't seem that bright when you talk to her, but when you give her an exam, you can see how smart she is." I was kind of annoyed Mom passed along the comment!
    · Reply · Share
  • momocarlymomocarly 887 replies11 threadsRegistered User Member
    edited July 23
    Mine is also along the lines of adoption. In a group a lady who knew me quite well looks at the lady next to me and loudly says. "Well, I would NEVER adopt a child is I planned on working. That is being an irresponsible and terrible mother. Working and having children is just abuse to the child. There should be a law against it." My mouth is still open.

One more when I was a child. The kids in the neighborhood (all catholic except me - we lived one block from a catholic school) told me I was going to burn in hell because I wasn't catholic. The nuns told them so and it was ok to be mean to me because of that!
    edited July 23
    · Reply · Share
  • garlandgarland 15983 replies198 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    My D dresses my adorable GD in unisex clothes, and people assume she's a he, all the time. So one day D put her in her usual non-gender outfit, but with pink socks. First comment: "Why did you put pink socks on your handsome young gentleman?" If I could post a picture, you'd see there is nothing particularly "boy" about her face!
    · Reply · Share