right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

one of the strangest things anyone ever said to me

Replies to: one of the strangest things anyone ever said to me

• Nrdsb4Nrdsb4 16943 replies159 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @Chevda said:
    When she was a toddler, we were in a restroom somewhere when a stranger started screaming at me about how horrible I was to subject a child to getting her hair permed just so she could look like me.

How did you respond to that? Normally, I don't go low just because someone else has, but someone "screaming" that at me would have gotten an earful from me.

Geez, where do some of these people get the audacity?????
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 7259 replies56 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    My D was basically bald for the first year of her life and then had very short hair until about the age of 2 1/2. I can't tell you how many people said "what a cute little boy" even if she was wearing a bright pink dress and had little bows in her hair. I'm all for not stereotyping based on appearance but really? By the age of two, she was very offended to be mistaken for a boy.
    · Reply · Share
  • wis75wis75 14059 replies62 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    H is from northern India, I got the Nordic genes of my all north European ancestry. We considered adoption but then had our only son. In the grocery store a couple of women ahead of me were talking about foreign adoptions and they thought my baby was adopted (no- but he looked a lot like my sister- we do not look alike- height, hair color/texture/curl, skin tones, eyes).

I volunteered for son's kindergarten. There was a new translator for the two Hispanic boys. It was funny when I went to the gym to ask the teacher a question and saw him trying to figure out who he was to translate for- he was looking straight at my son, who knew no Spanish (and still doesn't- he took HS French). Son got lucky to get my height- I'm taller than H.

So many good stories.
    · Reply · Share
  • kelsmomkelsmom 15580 replies98 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Not to my H, but about him: My Slovak grandmother was a devout Catholic who wouldn't even entertain the idea that any other denomination or religion was acceptable. We found out that the ethnic divisions from her European youth were an even bigger deal to her than religion, though. She couldn't stand the fact that my now-H is Hungarian (his grandparents moved to the U.S. from Hungary as young adults - my grandma also moved the U.S. as a young woman). Her friends knew she didn't like him, but she could not bring herself to admit that her granddaughter was dating a "magyar." So she told her friends she was upset because he was Jewish. And the thing is, he is not Jewish.
    · Reply · Share
  • raclutraclut 3692 replies233 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited July 23
    Hard to explain my earlobe has a vertical dent in the center right through where my ear is pierced. Someone told me I was destined for heart disease seeing this on my earlobe. I don't think it is very noticeable. It looks more like a crease like when you fold a piece of paper. (faint)
    Another thing I have only one child and people assume that I had problem conceiving another child and feel sorry for me. (I myself come from a large family) (it's just that I got divorced when she was young) I just say she is lucky that all my attention got focused on her being an only child.
    When I was pregnant I didn't know the sex of the baby but everyone who saw me told me I was having a girl and I did. (I feel blessed)
    edited July 23
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 34315 replies391 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    When I was 13 or so, I was selected to fly to KY to ride bicycles with people from around the US with Girl Scouts. I was told:
    “Wow, you speak good English!” I replied, “Wow, so do you!”
    “Do you have power in Hawaii?” I replied, “Oh yes, we plug our appliances into the ocean!”

Yup, I was a bit sarcastic. I did realize the others with blond curly hair envied my black straight hair and whether or not you considered folks to have an accent depended on how you spoke. It was a fun time!
    · Reply · Share
  • greenwitchgreenwitch 8754 replies41 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    My sister moved to a Nordic country and married a man there. People would assume she was the "foreign nanny" of her little towhead children. Now, one of her daughters has 2 children and they are much darker than her, like their Dad. If she's out alone with them she's asked where she adopted them from. You can't win!

I guess if you looked just like your kids someone might say, "wow, it's freaky how much you look alike, just freaky".
    · Reply · Share
  • milee30milee30 2095 replies13 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @raclut - if the crease in your earlobe is 100% vertical, sounds like the other person might have been mistaking it for "Frank's sign." There is a type of crease that's been proposed by some to be an indicator of coronary artery disease; not fully proven and some studies indicate it's not true across different races. Ignore if this doesn't look like yours, but just in case you're interested:
    https://stanfordmedicine25.stanford.edu/blog/archive/2015/what-is-the-name-of-this-sign.html
    https://www.healthline.com/health/heart-disease/ear-creases#opposition
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4697048/
    · Reply · Share
  • MidwestmomofboysMidwestmomofboys 4018 replies27 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited July 24
    More "why would someone even say that about a child" -- as a 4/5 year old, my son talked a lot, plus was one of those kids who dives deeply into a subject (airplanes, eagles, whales etc.) so knew a lot about obscure information. Leaving the bookstore one day, he was chatting away about whatever his favorite topic of the day was. Two women walking behind us were listening to his conversation, then stopped to ask how old he was. When told his age, they exclaimed, "oh, he's not that smart, just short." Kept my mouth shut, but, wanted to say umm, yes, actually, he really is that smart.
    edited July 24
    · Reply · Share
  • ChedvaChedva 18863 replies11633 threadsSuper Moderator Super Moderator
    Nrdsb4 wrote: »
    @Chevda said:
    When she was a toddler, we were in a restroom somewhere when a stranger started screaming at me about how horrible I was to subject a child to getting her hair permed just so she could look like me.

How did you respond to that? Normally, I don't go low just because someone else has, but someone "screaming" that at me would have gotten an earful from me.

Geez, where do some of these people get the audacity?????

@Nrdsb4, I was so stunned that I just stared at her. I must have said something, but I don't remember. It was a long time ago.
    · Reply · Share
  • CheeringsectionCheeringsection 2459 replies75 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    When I was in UG I got a new PT job at a lower end department store. When I explained to one of my new co-workers that I had left my previous job at a mall, higher end, clothing store because I needed more hours to pay for part of college she quickly assured me “they will gladly give you FT hours here and then you can quit that college thing, get married and have some kids!” I asked for my old job back the next day.
    · Reply · Share
  • 123txmom123txmom 107 replies11 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    When my twin DD were babies someone stopped me in a store and said she was glad it was me and not her. I said I was glad they were mine and not hers either. Another time on one of my many trips to the mall with them in a stroller, I had someone ask me if I was the nanny. Later that same trip, an older Asian women told me that twins were good luck and wanted to touch them and rub their heads (I had to stop her)

I wish people would think before they make comments :(
    · Reply · Share
  • MWolfMWolf 1470 replies9 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    So, my wife has brown eyes and dark curly hair, and our D has blue eyes, and, when she was a toddler, her hair was blond. We were in Albuquerque for a couple of years, and had a Russian woman who would babysit with our D (the woman was an MD and was studying to pass her exams), and sometimes would bring her two youngish daughters (9 and 12). All three were blond with blue eyes. They would take our D to the park, and my wife would go over to pick her up, and she would, of course, chat a bit with the babysitter. Many other parents at the playground would come over to them and speak to our babysitter about our D, while ignoring my wife, assuming that she was the Hispanic nanny. While the error in identifying the parent was amusing, the tendency to ignore somebody because they think that they're Hispanic and "the help" was not.
    · Reply · Share