right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Fish Oil Capsules for older folks

artloversplusartloversplus 8564 replies250 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
Is there a substaintial health advantage to take it? I start to take it few months ago because I thought I did not eat enough fish and by taking it, I can supplement my short coming. However, DW kept on telling me I have a strang body odour that I never have before. I thought about that, the only new action was I started to take fish oil capsules, so I stop it for few days, the odour got less intense right away.
What gives?
7 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Fish Oil Capsules for older folks

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus 78219 replies689 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited July 20
    edited July 20
    · Reply · Share
  • SybyllaSybylla 3814 replies48 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Costco's tinned Season sardines are fabulous. As is Costco salmon.
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 38895 replies468 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    If artlover's wife hates the fish oil BO, I guarantee she will toss him out of the house if he opens a can of sardines. ;)
    · Reply · Share
  • deb922deb922 5644 replies189 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    My H switched to krill oil. Easier to swallow and I don’t smell it. His cardiologist recommended taking it, I wonder if he shouldn’t
    · Reply · Share
  • artloversplusartloversplus 8564 replies250 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    ^^^ Sardine Can smells aweful, but fresh sardines are really taste without the smell.
    · Reply · Share
  • VaBluebirdVaBluebird 3280 replies229 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Is there a substaintial health advantage to take it? I start to take it few months ago because I thought I did not eat enough fish and by taking it, I can supplement my short coming. However, DW kept on telling me I have a strang body odour that I never have before. I thought about that, the only new action was I started to take fish oil capsules, so I stop it for few days, the odour got less intense right away.
    What gives?

New York Times July 1 had an article on common practices and beliefs debunked by studies. One was:

"Fish oil does not reduce the risk of heart disease.

At one point, the notion that fish fats prevented heart trouble did seem logical. People whose diets contain a lot of fatty fish seem to have a lower incidence of heart disease. Fatty fish contains omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3 supplements lower levels of triglycerides, and high levels of triglycerides are linked to an increased risk of heart disease. Not to mention that omega-3 fatty acids seem to reduce inflammation, a key feature of heart attacks.

But in a trial involving 12,500 people at risk for heart trouble, daily omega-3 supplements did not protect against heart disease."
    · Reply · Share
  • BrendaAndersonBrendaAnderson 0 replies0 threadsRegistered User New Member
    I don't have much idea about fish oil because I have never taken that.
    · Reply · Share