right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Have you ever traveled to a place loved by all but you just didn't love it?

Replies to: Have you ever traveled to a place loved by all but you just didn't love it?

• busyparentbusyparent 998 replies43 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Costa Rica
    · Reply · Share
  • bgbg4usbgbg4us 1255 replies39 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Not a big fan of Vegas. I feel like every one is trying to get something from me there.
    · Reply · Share
  • eyemamomeyemamom 5421 replies79 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Grand Canyon. I don’t know what I was expecting, but that wasn’t it.
    · Reply · Share
  • Nrdsb4Nrdsb4 16847 replies157 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Santa Fe
    Alaska

I don't think Vegas is one of those places "loved by all." I would expect most people to love the Grand Canyon, but not Vegas.

That said, I've never been to the Grand Canyon and have no desire, though DH wants to go. So I'll probably end up there one day.
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 6962 replies49 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    St. Petersburg and Vegas.
    · Reply · Share
  • IgloooIglooo 8134 replies208 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited July 20
    Vegas is getting bashed but people don't "love" Vegas. They go there to be entertained. Or fly to Vegas.

How about Zion? It got no mention so far. Loved by all?
    edited July 20
    · Reply · Share
    edited July 20
    ...but I just don't get the appeal of LA

Gorgeous weather, beach right there, mountains right behind, relaxed feel, active culture, nice and diverse population, great produce/grocery stores, what's not to like other than traffic?
    edited July 20
    · Reply · Share
  • ChoatieMomChoatieMom 5199 replies237 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Grand Canyon.
    Every big city, but especially New York.
    · Reply · Share
  • Midwest67Midwest67 2950 replies12 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    NYC
    · Reply · Share
  • skieuropeskieurope 38825 replies6853 threadsSuper Moderator Super Moderator
    edited July 20
    Iglooo wrote: »
    ...but I just don't get the appeal of LA

Gorgeous weather, beach right there, mountains right behind, relaxed feel, active culture, nice and diverse population, great produce/grocery stores, what's not to like other than traffic?
    For starters, except for the grocery stores (and is that even a reason?!?!) you can get all that (and more) in HI. I can certainly understand the attraction of LA for some, but it's just not for me. As to what's not to like in addition to traffic (which is a huge negative and you can add the lack of, although improving, alternative transportation options? The "nice and diverse population" can sometimes have an attitude (which I will grant you is also true where I now live). The dichotomy between the have and have-nots, which certainly exists elsewhere, seem more in-your-face there.
    edited July 20
    · Reply · Share
    California beaches, where people don't swim because the water is too cold, make absolutely no sense to my East Coast mind.

??? We swam during xmas break in LA. "Too cold to swim" is in Maine. Beaches in Maine are cold and damp.
    · Reply · Share
    edited July 20
    The dichotomy between the have and have-nots, which certainly exists elsewhere, seem more in-your-face there.

Ha! That applies more to NYC. In NYC, it is not in your face. Because in some circle in east coast, have-nots don't have a face. I rather have it in my face than I don't exist.
    edited July 20
    · Reply · Share
  • bgbg4usbgbg4us 1255 replies39 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Grand Canyon is cool to see, but it's hard to take part in it. You look at it; walk around the rim, but to actually do casual hiking, it's hard. The rim is steep; and there aren't tons of casual hiking trails that go down. It's amazing to see; but hard to experience it.
    · Reply · Share
  • OnwardOnward 2902 replies79 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I can't say that there isn't a place that I wouldn't go back to; even Las Vegas which is my least favorite place. Of course, when we were in Vegas, we used it as a jumping off point to see things like Hoover Dam and the desert. The whole area is very different from home. The same goes for NYC. I am not a city person but I did enjoy the vibe and I had my daughter as a tour guide so we hit up different things than most tourists. Grand Canyon was an incredible experience for us but we hiked to the bottom when our kids were 8 and 10 and they both are still proud of that fact. I think when you plan a visit, you have to tailor it to things you like as Creekland did in New Orleans.
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 33430 replies363 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I like LA. Rarely humid or too hot and if you live on or near the beach, it's great. But the awful downer was recently seeing what has happened to Santa Monica and Venice. Personally devastating, Hop On busses, rental bikes littered everywhere, crowded, and a sleazy feel, all the way from UCLA to the beach and down to Venice.

In my day, it was a niche. Probably downtrodden then, too, but "ours." This is my very own personal reaction.

I've heard the HI discrepancy between haves and have nots is an issue to some, too. And isn't it humid?
    · Reply · Share
  • mathmommathmom 32231 replies158 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Another not a fan of San Francisco. Since son is in Mountain View and BIL is in Berkeley we go pretty often.

I also hated Disney Land. Went once in the early 1980s.

I've been to Las Vegas twice and hated it both times.
    · Reply · Share