right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Have you ever traveled to a place loved by all but you just didn't love it?

Replies to: Have you ever traveled to a place loved by all but you just didn't love it?

• HImomHImom 34345 replies391 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Many HI folks love Vegas. I never have, nor does H. I find it crowded, noisy and depressing.
    · Reply · Share
  • FlyMeToTheMoonFlyMeToTheMoon 3018 replies45 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    The older I get, the less enthusiastic I’ve been about places we visit. I know the types of vacations I won’t like (outdoors, hiking, camping), and the type that will be contenders for winners (cities), but more and more, I just want the comfort of my own bed and shower.
    · Reply · Share
  • skieuropeskieurope 39277 replies7019 threadsSuper Moderator Super Moderator
    I've heard the HI discrepancy between haves and have nots is an issue to some, too.
    As I said, it is in many places. It just seems to me more obvious in LA.
    And isn't it humid?
    It can be, but it rarely seems stifling humid. There are certainly worse places, and the trade winds seem to keep it in check.
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 38931 replies468 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Apparently, 100 degree temperature has never been registered in HI (at least not since it became a state). Tradewinds mitigate heat. We were in HI around 4th of July, when it was pretty hot (upper 80s), and we slept with windows open, no AC. Just a ceiling fan going full speed. Love that.
    · Reply · Share
  • greenwitchgreenwitch 8760 replies41 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Florence, Italy. It was crowded and dirty. I felt like I could wring diesel fumes out of my hair from the motorbikes.
    Of course, we did tons of stuff while we were there, so I'm relieved that I don't have to go back.
    · Reply · Share
    We don't have nor want A/C. We do have our windows and the fans running so we can sleep when it's hot. H's car records temperatures of 100, but I guess it's measuring around the bumper of the car and maybe some of the heat off the road? I'm not sure, but it's been hot and sadly not much breeze.
    · Reply · Share
  • mom60mom60 7886 replies506 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Grand Canyon
    Yosemite- while it Is beautiful I preferred Glacier.
    I wouldn’t say Vegas is a place loved by all so I don’t think it belongs in the same category as many of the places posted.
    I’ve lived in Los Angeles in both the South Bay and the Westside and Santa Monica. I don’t miss it but I do drool over the food section of the LA Times. The traffic and the homeless are major factors for me.
    I didn’t see the appeal of SF until I had a kid living there. I saw it differently when I got into different areas and explored for miles on foot.
    Hawaii- I like Hawaii, think it is beautiful but don’t see the draw that it has over many people. I have friends who go every year or even multiple times a year.
    · Reply · Share
  • JoblueJoblue 1298 replies23 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Palm Beach, Florida. There was literally nothing appealing to me about the place.
    · Reply · Share
  • toledotoledo 4788 replies290 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I didn't care for Madrid. It seemed like a large, boring city. I used to love San Francisco, but after seeing it in April, I've changed my mind. So sad!
    · Reply · Share
    edited July 20
    I like the suburbs of SF--decades ago, I liked the city but it's gotten much griffier and less attractive to me as the homeless population increased. I also am wary of the thieves who like to break into cars, especially in the Bay Area. :(

I'm also fonder of greener vistas than rocks and more dessert landscapes. In Glacier, I did like the views of the grassy areas more than those of the rockier areas. I'm not a fan of driving for hours in the desert (like NM, CO, MN, and other places). I also don't enjoy places with lots of people riding scooters who don't share the walkway nicely with pedestrians--yikes!
    edited July 20
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 21145 replies219 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    greenwitch wrote: »
    Florence, Italy. It was crowded and dirty. I felt like I could wring diesel fumes out of my hair from the motorbikes.
    Of course, we did tons of stuff while we were there, so I'm relieved that I don't have to go back.

If you ever go back, spend more time in the Oltrarno district on the less touristy side of the Arno River.

Cancun is another locale that just didn't speak to me at all.
    · Reply · Share
  • collage1collage1 1768 replies72 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Cabo and Cancun. Too commercial.
    We were in Glacier in June and in the Grand Tetons last year. Dh kept marveling at the mountain ranges. I've realized the mountains just don't hold the appeal for me that they seem to for others. Wildlife, a body of water, flowers or colorful fauna catch my eye but, in the absence of those, I don't enjoy the 'natural beauty' of the outdoors the way others do.
    · Reply · Share
  • IgloooIglooo 8181 replies211 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Wildlife, a body of water, flowers or colorful fauna catch my eye but,

Glacier has all of the above and mountains. The lake is cold but swimmable, too.
    · Reply · Share
  • 4kids4us4kids4us 647 replies4 threadsRegistered User Member
    Disney World and Las Vegas. I think I just like nature and foreign cultures, These were neither.

You beat me to it!

I don’t understand the allure of either place. I couldn’t wait to get out of both places.
    · Reply · Share
  • MomofWildChildMomofWildChild 22701 replies191 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Boca Raton, FL. New York City.
    · Reply · Share
  • kelsmomkelsmom 15591 replies99 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Philadelphia. I disliked pretty much everything about it. I love big cities, but didn’t like Philly. I was doing college admissions at the time, and I visited high schools in some very depressing areas of the city. But the historical places in town didn’t do it for me, either.
    · Reply · Share
  • milgymfammilgymfam 840 replies14 threadsRegistered User Member
    kelsmom wrote: »
    Philadelphia. I disliked pretty much everything about it. I love big cities, but didn’t like Philly. I was doing college admissions at the time, and I visited high schools in some very depressing areas of the city. But the historical places in town didn’t do it for me, either.
    I’m from Philly and I love Philly- all the firsts they have, the architecture, the food, the passion of the fans, even the grit and the graffiti on the El, but I’ve never heard of it being a well-liked place in general. Everywhere we’ve moved I feel like I’m always defending Philly to people who hate it, are afraid of it, or think it’s gross. Imo it doesn’t belong on a list such as this.

· Reply · Share
  • kelsmomkelsmom 15591 replies99 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Well, I know a lot of people who really enjoyed visiting Philadelphia, but it truly left me cold.
    · Reply · Share
  • MomofWildChildMomofWildChild 22701 replies191 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I grew up in the Philadelphia area but escaped as soon as possible. It isn't my type of place. That said, the city has vastly improved in the last decade plus. It is a vibrant place for younger people- great restaurant and bar scene. The river area is developed with lots of recreation opportunities (well, and the young teen gangs who assault runners and cyclists). I love the historical stuff- and the sports teams. The old money areas are just gorgeous. I enjoy visiting family there a few times a year but am always glad to get back to Tennessee.
    · Reply · Share