right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Have you ever traveled to a place loved by all but you just didn't love it?

Replies to: Have you ever traveled to a place loved by all but you just didn't love it?

• skieuropeskieurope 38819 replies6850 threadsSuper Moderator Super Moderator
    milgymfam wrote: »
    I’m from Philly and I love Philly- all the firsts they have, the architecture, the food, the passion of the fans, even the grit and the graffiti on the El, but I’ve never heard of it being a well-liked place in general. Everywhere we’ve moved I feel like I’m always defending Philly to people who hate it, are afraid of it, or think it’s gross. Imo it doesn’t belong on a list such as this.
    That was how I felt when I saw Boca a couple of posts up. It's nice and all, but I'm not sure that many tourists traveling to South Florida are going because people said, "You have to go to Boca."

FWIW, I'd travel back to Philadelphia just to get a cheesesteak. They're just not the same anywhere else.
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 20837 replies216 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I've become a fan of Philly through many visits over the past 7 years. I think it's very vibrant these days and a good place for young adults to start out - so much more affordable than other big East Coast cities.

Boca Raton - you've got to be at least a little wary of any place called Rat's Mouth. ;)
    · Reply · Share
  • socaldad2002socaldad2002 1294 replies26 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Something must be wrong with me because i absolutely love:

Yosemite - for sheer beauty of waterfalls and rock formations. Fond memories camping out and getting up at sunrise to fly fish the Merced river as It winds its way through yosoemite valley.

Florence - amazing museums, Italian culture and food. Did I mention Gelato?

Cabo- in February watching whales breaching in the Sea of Cortez while eating brunch on the terrace with my pregnant wife.

San Francisco- fond memories walking across the Golden Gate Bridge, taking a ferry to sausalito for lunch, riding the cable car down California st, and attending a SF Giants baseball game on a cool September night.

Disneyland- did someone say they hate Disneyland? Sacrilegious!

Too each his/her own...

With that said and keeping with the theme of this thread, I wasn’t thrilled with Austin. Seemed just like many of the other cities I have seen in the U.S. nothing special.
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 20837 replies216 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited July 20
    Well, Mouse Mouth isn't a whole lot better. :)

But, historically it was presumably named Bocaratone(s) originally.
    edited July 20
    · Reply · Share
  • inthegardeninthegarden 1079 replies21 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited July 20
    @oregon101, have you tried Waterton (Glacier on the Canadian side?) I Love, love, love Waterton (probably my favorite Canadian park in the two years I lived in Calgary) but, like you, found Glacier kind of gloomy.

With all the places in the world to visit, I have no desire to see Las Vegas. San Francisco was a bit of a disappointment years ago. All those concreted-over front yard patches! Why not postage-stamp gardens instead? No to Disney (was thrilled when eight-year-old daughter concurred : "Mom, the TV commercials don't show all those long lines!"... but loooved St. Augustine...)

Just went to Scotland. Seriously, wish I could move there.
    edited July 20
    · Reply · Share
  • eb23282eb23282 515 replies16 threadsRegistered User Member
    Any beach. I much prefer a lake.
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 38706 replies466 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    We live not too far from a big lake, and I love to look at it. I will never dip a toe into the water though. Urban lakes... Canada goose poop soup, pardon my bluntness. :)
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 33430 replies363 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Yeah, but any open city reservoir has the same problem.
    · Reply · Share
  • artloversplusartloversplus 8540 replies247 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited July 20
    Hong Kong, it is congested, expensive and nothing to see other than food food and more food, shopping shopping and more shopping, business business and more business.

I am a SNOW BIRD...Give me snow, chair lifts and mountain, don't have to feed me :)
    edited July 20
    · Reply · Share
    edited July 20
    I just love water. Any water. Never shied from lakes, streams or swamps, for that matter (worked in a rice-growing swamp in the Peace Corps, thigh-deep in mud). But I've definitely become more of a worrier in old age and the whole brain-eating amoeba thing does give me pause these days...
    edited July 20
    · Reply · Share
  • NJresNJres 5999 replies189 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    For me, whether I enjoy a place or not can be a function of weather and crowds. New York City on a clear cool Spring day is invigorating and exciting, while getting stuck there on a hot oppressive summer day is miserable. I am kind of shocked that anyone would not like Yosemite (except crowds and weather could ruin it) and I am always struck by the sheer natural beauty of San Francisco.

One place that I absolutely hated (that I should have loved) was the Met (New York Metropolitan Museum of Art). Family members insisted on going - with very little time - to see the De Vinci exhibit. Lines for the "pay what you want" tickets were very long, so I paid $100, $25x4 so we could get in quickly. The crowds were so dense we could barely move, and could hardly get within 5 rows of people to look at anything. I was miserable!
    · Reply · Share
  • abasketabasket 19150 replies854 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I'm good with oceans and and the cleaner Great Lakes...but am not a fan of inland lakes. Just give me a pool.
    · Reply · Share
  • great lakes momgreat lakes mom 2982 replies28 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Hong Kong can be a hot mess of shopping. And wonderful food. But in my few short visits since living there decades ago, I have focused on hiking. There is an amazing trail system with mountain and ocean views, temples to see, and always a good meal at the end.
    I understand folks not liking the Grand Canyon. The average visitor spends a modicum of time gazing over the rim from a viewpoint or two, mid day, when the colors are washed out. After hours of driving. But get up at dawn, or stay for sunset, or hike, even along the rim, and the beauty pops out. More so if a storm is involved.
    I am proud to say that having lived a few hours from Las Vegas, I have escaped ever going into the city. No appeal. The desert around it, sure. I have also successfully avoided the Disney enterprises for my entire adult like. The ex had family in Florida happy to take my kids. I focused on the outdoors for family vacations.
    · Reply · Share
  • kayakingmomkayakingmom 31 replies3 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    My H’s family is from Rome, so we go often. It nice, but Florence is my favorite large Italian city. If I never go to Venice again, that’s fine with me. I just didn’t like it at all, and don’t really understand what all the fuss is about.
    · Reply · Share
  • taverngirltaverngirl 884 replies20 threadsRegistered User Member
    Wasn't a fan of Santa Fe. Florence was underwhelming.
    · Reply · Share
  • oregon101oregon101 5487 replies136 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Venice was wonderful in 1972. A few years ago not so much. The cruise ships are disgusting and are ruining the canals. The tourist walk while reading their phones and barely look up. Never again. I love Florence in 1972 and 1973 but, again, too many people who are not really showing any true awe for the beauty. I still adore Fiesole.

inthegarden, I know I would have preferred Waterton. The East side of Glacier was "soul sucking" (I kept thinking this) for me. I really enjoyed Banff and decades ago Mesa Verde. I enjoyed Bryce more than Zion. But the truth is there is just nothing like Mt. Hood for hiking and simple beauty.

I am interested in Dubai for the architecture, why I love Chicago. I love Mt. Hood and beautiful buildings both. But I never ever enjoy crowds of humans.
    · Reply · Share
    @oregon101, agree Mt, Hood is wonderful. DH and I hiked it (all day) to the ice line and back 20 years ago on our one and only trip to Oregon. I insisted we go there on vacation because DH was job hunting and I was hoping we'd end up there. Enjoyed Portland, the coast and Mt, Hood area. Glorious weather. I was told those were the sunniest two weeks of the entire year that year, so maybe I didn't get the most realistic picture. (Do appreciate rain and the color green though...)
    · Reply · Share