right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Have you ever traveled to a place loved by all but you just didn't love it?

Replies to: Have you ever traveled to a place loved by all but you just didn't love it?

• oregon101oregon101 5507 replies136 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    ^ Our summer was brutally hot last year. I have not heard a single complaint about our rain since!!! Glad you enjoyed our beautiful Mt. Hood. What makes it different and special is that it is very accessible. We lived in Denver for a year but could not enjoy the Rockies with a one yr. old. SIL packs up their nearly one yr old and off they can go up to Mt Hood.
    · Reply · Share
  • WellspringWellspring 1511 replies9 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I love a lake. Lake Superior was a wonder to behold last summer. My all time favorite will always be Lake George in upstate New York. But I will never understand why anyone would want to go to New York City. Maybe if you sent a car to the airport to take me directly to the theater and then whisked me out of town again I might spend an evening there. And I say this as someone who grew up in a suburb and whose father commuted into the city for 30 years. I will never willingly to to NYC again.

· Reply · Share
  • skieuropeskieurope 39286 replies7024 threadsSuper Moderator Super Moderator
    taverngirl wrote: »
    Florence was underwhelming.
    I liked Florence, but I'd personally classify it more as "Glad I went but no reason to go back" as opposed to "I don't get why people love it."

· Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 34222 replies379 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I don't get why some don't like Florence or Venice. Maybe next time, go "without Rick." Wander, stop, live their lives, don't just be a tourist.

NYC is a state of mind. Don't dress like a tourist, do interact. Don't just hate the crowds, lol.
    · Reply · Share
  • milgymfammilgymfam 846 replies14 threadsRegistered User Member
    NJres wrote: »
    I am kind of shocked that anyone would not like Yosemite (except crowds and weather could ruin it)...

I didn’t enjoy Yosemite despite there not being crowds. We went during Christmas break to try and find some snow. We found ice and too much of the same boring rock face over and over. We went back to Mariposa (but not Yosemite) in the spring and it was gorgeous. I loved living right at the foot of the San Gabriel Mountains for a few years. The view of the mountains from my deck was my favorite thing... but Yosemite was just blah to me.

· Reply · Share
  • milgymfammilgymfam 846 replies14 threadsRegistered User Member
    thumper1 wrote: »
    I don’t like Cape Cod. It’s too crowded in the summer...traffic is horrible. And it’s dreary in the winter. Ocean water temps are frigid. It’s just not a place I ever want to return to for a vacation.
    We’ve only ever been in the winter, but I found it magical. The ice over the ocean water in the little coves, breathtaking sunsets, no crowds anywhere, and lots of gorgeous snow all made it a family favorite.

· Reply · Share
  • skieuropeskieurope 39286 replies7024 threadsSuper Moderator Super Moderator
    edited July 21
    I don't get why some don't like Florence or Venice. Maybe next time, go "without Rick." Wander, stop, live their lives, don't just be a tourist.
    Agreed. Particularly in Venice. If the crowds/pigeons/high water/price of bellinis in Piazza San Marco is a turn-off, there a 5 other sestieri plus outer islands, some of which are truly off the beaten path, but are beautiful, full of friendly locals who know 3 words of English, but are still willing to interact, amazing food, etc.

edited July 21
    · Reply · Share
  • mathmommathmom 32385 replies159 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited July 21
    @artloversplus you should have gone hiking in Hong Kong! And from an urban planning perspective the downtown area is fascinating. It's a city organized around shopping centers with the best subway system I have ever been on, though I also liked sitting on the top of the double decker buses.

Oops just notice @great lakes mom said exactly the same thing. :)
    edited July 21
    · Reply · Share
  • 3sonsmom3sonsmom 266 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    We only had 3 days in Florence and most of one day was a trip to a Tuscan vineyard and Siena, loved both! Enjoyed Florence, hope we can go back and see more. My brother said we should have gone to Boboli Gardens. And pizza and gelato 🍧 every day!
    · Reply · Share
  • MomofWildChildMomofWildChild 22702 replies191 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I have been to New Orleans many, many times and have tried to like it. I occasionally can appreciate part of the culture, but for the most part I find it a dirty, disgusting place. I have yet another business meeting there in September.
    · Reply · Share
  • taverngirltaverngirl 939 replies22 threadsRegistered User Member

NYC is a state of mind. Don't dress like a tourist, do interact. Don't just hate the crowds, lol.

We rented an apartment in the heart of the city. There were throngs of tourists with selfie sticks. You could barely walk. The city was full of "mall stores" like Gap, etc. Very commercialized. No green space. to speak of. Loved the museums of course and a cute little beach bar on the river, where we played cards and drank Aperol spritz's at one afternoon. And the tiny little deli on our side street that we ate at three times because it was that delicious. But of all the places to which we've traveled, I have no desire to go back to Florence.
    · Reply · Share
  • toledotoledo 4792 replies290 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    How about Branson, MO or Gatlinburg, TN?
    · Reply · Share
  • GTalumGTalum 3056 replies25 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Greek islands. I went for some long swims there. No wildlife in the ocean and little on land.
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 21158 replies219 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited July 21
    "No green space. to speak of."
    Piazzas are the communal spaces in old Italian cities not parks.

If you hang out in the tourist center of the city, it's going to feel touristy whether it's Florence or NYC (Times Square), especially if you go during the height of tourist season.
    edited July 21
    · Reply · Share
  • oldmom4896oldmom4896 3895 replies290 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Alas, the tourist season in NYC is year-round.

My daughter went to elementary and middle school in Chinatown and by 5th grade she was complaining about tourists.
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 34222 replies379 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    In London and Paris, we rented in neighborhoods, easy enough access, but not in the thick of things. In Venice, we stayed at a BnB where the nonna was making lunch as we ate our breakfasts. Another time, we camped. On the coast of Turkey, we stayed in a BnB where the owner had everyone meet at 4, for drinks on the veranda. I'm so into the local people, people watching, and their daily routines, the spirit. Plus museums and must-sees, but haven't carried a tour book since a long college summer abroad. (I do use tripadvisor and google, before.) I don't think I've ever done more than one audio tour.

I'm going on a cruise with quick port stops (a friend chose this and I'm tagging along) and working my head around the fact the stops are short and there's no getting around being a tourist, when you all get off the boat together and may be in a tour group.

I think it's just personal and there is no right or wrong. I usually come back saying, wow, the people were great. I only just realized that I seem to say this about nearly every place I go. So really awful locals would be my turn off.
    · Reply · Share
    @toledo Man, oh man, Pidgeon Forge/Gatlinburg was one of the worst ever. We went with some humor, thought we'd look at the outside of Dollywood, a side track on a drive across country, last March. Packed with car traffic, stopped at every light, one theme restaurant after another. So bad that after about a mile or two, we turned aound (no easy feat) and got back on the highway. Not even a bathroom break or stop for a soda. The only great thing was the billboards for Delmar the Talking Dog. I had to take a pic and share with close friends. And a pic of the upside down restaurant. NOT going back.
    · Reply · Share
  • inthegardeninthegarden 1174 replies23 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited July 21
    ^^LOL, agreed, @lookingforward ! I grew up in North Alabama/East Tennessee so our family made many trips to Gatlinburg and the Great Smokey Mountains starting when I was a young child. It's sad to see what it has become. In my very distant memory I can remember when it consisted of around five blocks, including the candle-maker, the taffy-puller, another candy kitchen or two and some wood-carving shops.
    edited July 21
    · Reply · Share