right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Have you ever traveled to a place loved by all but you just didn't love it?

Replies to: Have you ever traveled to a place loved by all but you just didn't love it?

• CheeringsectionCheeringsection 2425 replies73 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited July 21
    Jamaica. I have no desire to spend my entire vacation at a “gated” resort and am appalled at locals desperate enough to bang on the windows of a tour bus to sell me a trinket. Can’t these people’s energy go to some more productive use? I just wanted to give them something but of course we were cautioned against that.

I am also not a fan of Cancun.
    edited July 21
    · Reply · Share
  • MWolfMWolf 1334 replies9 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I do not like either LA and Las Vegas (although they aren't actually "loved by all"). While LA has at least a few places which are worth visiting (NOT Hollywood though), there is absolutely nothing about Las Vegas that I find attractive or interesting. I've been to Paris a few times, and it's been enough. Unlike others here, I actually like Barcelona a lot, but then again, I grew up in a Mediterranean country and the light, the climate, and the stone buildings and courtyards have a very homey feeling to them for me.

I find Cambridge (UK) to be heavy and oppressive, and, although my wife loves it, I'm not fond of London. Rome is just dirty and decaying, and full of tourists and people trying to rob and cheat tourists.

PS @Nrdsb4 Alaska is the largest state in the USA by area (it's larger than the next three in size, TX, CA, and MT, combined), and Fairbanks is very different from Anchorage, which is not similar to Juneau, and Barrow Point is not comparable to any of the above. There are the glaciers, the temperate rain-forests, and places like the Denali, etc. So that's a lot to dislike.
    · Reply · Share
  • oldfortoldfort 22894 replies290 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    As a New Yorker, I really do not like the tourists. I could always tell who they are - the ones that look up and the ones who stop in the middle of street (no, you really have to move).
    · Reply · Share
  • newjerseygirl98newjerseygirl98 2127 replies46 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I went to college for a year in Uptown Philly & found it to be super depressing. But I agree with this!

I live just outside NYC & love it.
    · Reply · Share
  • happy1happy1 22754 replies2239 threadsVerified Member Senior Member
    I am a NYer who loved her college time in Phila.

I did find India extremely difficult to travel in (although the Taj Mahal was one of the most beautiful things I've seen). The poverty was depressing to me.
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 33430 replies363 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    In DC, we referred to tourists on sidewalks as "taking their half in the middle."
    · Reply · Share
  • crknwk2000crknwk2000 325 replies15 threadsRegistered User Member
    @lookingforward AMAZING. I'm going to use that for the tourists in SF. I work very close to China Town and I've considered getting a bb gun to shoot them out of the way when they inevitably, continually and painfully "take their half in the middle." Ok, NOT really, but in my mind I have ; )
    · Reply · Share
  • privatebankerprivatebanker 5181 replies74 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited July 21
    Versailles. First time 25 years ago it was cool as a teen. Last time recently. So crowded. The lines were like bellying up for the bus going to officer candidates school. The only thing I really wanted see was the gardens. And now it’s a totally separate admission ticket. And beaucoup d’argent.

The train from Paris wasn’t great either. Boring and bleak.

Also sacrilege on CC. But Harvard square and the visiting the yard was lousy. Crowded. Muddy. And you can rub John Harvard’s foot. Wow. Life is now complete.
    edited July 21
    · Reply · Share
  • IgloooIglooo 8134 replies208 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Has lines been always so long everywhere? I can't stand long lines but it seems these days wherever, you go lines stretch.
    · Reply · Share
  • HowardGradlyHowardGradly 157 replies6 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Ok, guess I’m not alone- for me Vegas... and I don’t feel the need to return to Rome.
    · Reply · Share
  • skieuropeskieurope 38823 replies6853 threadsSuper Moderator Super Moderator
    edited July 21
    And you can rub John Harvard’s foot.
    Where, in keeping with tradition, thousands of drunken first years have peed on.

The above is offered as a public service announcement from your moderator. :smiley:
    edited July 21
    · Reply · Share
  • privatebankerprivatebanker 5181 replies74 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @skieurope Ouch. Tell me you refrained. 🧐😮🤔

😂😂😂
    · Reply · Share
  • oldfortoldfort 22894 replies290 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited July 21
    I have never been to Harvard Square. Ok, I am also not a fan of Boston. When my kids were visiting schools, I asked their Dad to take them to those places.
    edited July 21
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 38708 replies466 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    OMG, joining the choir of Harvard square and surroundings non-fan. Kid went to school in the outskirts of the city and got us well appraised of the things we needed to be aware of. 😂

Boston Marathon. Talk about running in a ZOO!!! Once was enough. Can't believe folks come and do it year after year.
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 38708 replies466 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited July 21
    Hate is a strong word. More like "Why? That's IT? Oh why did we come here?"
    edited July 21
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 20837 replies216 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    "
    Iglooo wrote: »
    Has lines been always so long everywhere? I can't stand long lines but it seems these days wherever, you go lines stretch.

Nope. More crowded planet, more people across the planet with the financial means to travel = overcrowding in many tourist destinations. Many places - Italy, Bruges, Thailand - are trying to think of ways to limit tourism before it ruins them.
    · Reply · Share
    Iceland is one of those places that is now trying to deal with the tourists' impact on their country. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

When you fly, think about the fuel burned to transport your body and your stuff. I do not believe in buying carbon offsets, but I am a firm believer in packing light. At least my suitcase is not contributing to the global warming.
    · Reply · Share