right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Heat wave - what are your plans

Replies to: Heat wave - what are your plans

• MarilynMarilyn 3694 replies124 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    My plan is to continue living in San Diego and remember trying to keep the upstairs of our old Chicago suburb house under 90 degrees through continual monitoring and adjustment of AC, fans, and window shades. I wasn't always successful.
    · Reply · Share
  • happy1happy1 22755 replies2239 threadsVerified Member Senior Member
    We're in the suburbs of NYC. H and are celebrating our anniversary today! We're both golfers but it is too miserable out to play today. Instead we're watching the British Open and will go out for a nice dinner. As long as the a/c is on we'll be fine.
    · Reply · Share
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff 3948 replies16 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @happy1.. Happy Anniversary 😊.
    · Reply · Share
  • ClassicMom98ClassicMom98 126 replies1 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    edited July 20
    We need a new A/C! Ugh. It has actually been much better this week after calling and getting it worked on vs the rest of the summer and last few years. (Cheese was melting on my counters last week.) New one should be here in two weeks. But we are now in the car to visit my parents at their lakehouse. I don't care for water activities, but they have good A/C!

(We also had to replace the boiler last winter. Ugh!)
    edited July 20
    · Reply · Share
  • mathmommathmom 32240 replies158 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I invited an old friend and her husband to dinner. Our boys were best friends in elementary school, and younger son is still good friends with her middle kid, but we had drifted away as the kids got older. We reconnected over gardening and in particular using native plants. We made plans to visit each other's gardens this evening with tea or appetizers at her house followed by dinner at ours. I poached salmon and made a sour cream and dill cucumber sauce this morning. I have a leftover pasta salad that should be even better today after marinating for a day. Made orange cookies and will have store bought sorbet for dessert. I have a feeling the admiring each other's gardens part of the plan will be somewhat abbreviated, but I did a tiny bit of trimming and weeding and didn't keel over. DH decided to mow the lawn. We won't be eating out on the screen porch which is really a shame. I love it out there.
    · Reply · Share
  • IgloooIglooo 8136 replies208 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited July 20
    I was in AZ recently. They had a mist cooling in an outdoor cafe. It was as cool as inside almost cold. It was neat! If it is as dry in the east coast, you could sit on the porch and stay cool with a mist cooling.
    edited July 20
    · Reply · Share
  • HouseChatteHouseChatte 641 replies1 threadsRegistered User Member
    It's 93 here in my part of Northern New England. We're a bit rural, temperatures downtown are usually about six degrees warmer than here at home, so our small city may be close to 100.

Window air conditioners have been running all day and keeping things very pleasant. We have an open concept with walk-up attic, so one unit up there, second story doors closed off, and a unit on the main floor.

Dogs are lounging. They've had a couple of short early romps outside in the shade, but most of their time will be in the house with small frequent meals, plenty of fresh water, and chilled marrow bones. They seem gleefully indolent.

Midwestern DS2 and DIL are comfortably in a large newer building with central AC. DS1 and girlfriend in another, more urban, part of New England, in the attic conversion of a 100-year-old multifamily. When the heat failed a couple of years ago their landlord had the system updated to include AC. I feel like kissing his feet today, while bathing them with my grateful tears.
    · Reply · Share
  • HouseChatteHouseChatte 641 replies1 threadsRegistered User Member
    @Iglooo disgustingly humid where I am, I love the sound of mist cooling!
    · Reply · Share
  • toledotoledo 4774 replies290 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited July 20
    It's awful here. I just got back from the grocery store. It was torture. Stay home if at all possible. We were in Phoenix earlier this month and it's much worse here right now.
    edited July 20
    · Reply · Share
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy 18476 replies324 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I had to go to the pharmacy to pick up some drugs for DH. It was 101 on my way home.
    · Reply · Share
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy 18476 replies324 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited July 20
    Duplicate.

It didn't post the first time so I went back to the home page and then to the thread. Still wasn't there so I posted it again. And then it's up twice.

*&^%@#!*^
    edited July 20
    · Reply · Share
  • greenwitchgreenwitch 8721 replies41 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    We were in NYC a couple of weeks ago and it was super hot the day we were walking around most. I popped into a drugstore and got a battery operated fan that hangs around your neck. At least my chin was cool!

I have another UPC fan that saved me last summer in Europe. Without AC, it's nice to have a fan blowing at you when you try to sleep. I have it plugged into my computer all the time now for extra cooling.
    · Reply · Share
  • CountingDownCountingDown 13398 replies110 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Was 101 yesterday afternoon, 95 so far today (MD burbs of DC). Just can't deal with it. DH cut grass last night and this am over my vehement protests. Going to stay inside and pack for vacation.
    · Reply · Share
  • stradmomstradmom 5010 replies50 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    According to my phone, it's 96 here and feels like 111. It certainly did for the minute it took me to dash down to the mailbox and back into the A/C.
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 34197 replies391 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I'm going to a gym with my friends to see what they have to offer and pricing packages. It's air-conditioned, so it should be cool and interesting. It's too hot to exercise in our non-air-conditioned home right now. :(
    · Reply · Share
  • yearstogoyearstogo 645 replies30 threadsRegistered User Member
    We live in NC and it is hot but not that bad. We played tennis this morning and I just mowed the grass. I think we are in better shape than many as we try to not cool the house down too much like many. We keep it at 79 during the day and 77 at night.
    · Reply · Share
  • Snowball CitySnowball City 1724 replies51 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Yesterday was our bad day. I track the dew point and at one point it was over 80. It was awful, like trying to breathe through jello!

I woke up this morning to a massive windstorm followed by the mother of all thunderstorms. I am puzzled as to why the town sirens did not send us all to the basement.

The cooler front has arrived and it is about 30 degrees cooler than yesterday.
    · Reply · Share
  • abasketabasket 19171 replies854 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    We ditched home in Ohio to head north to our cottage on Lake Huron in Canada Thursday night. Still hot here - currently 90, feels like 100 - but that’s still better than 96 and feels like 110 at home!

Husband took pup for early morning walk while I ran on a shady road and pup will get another walk later near sunset. Middle of the day I refreshed his paws in the lake. I’ve been swimming and water walking all afternoon long to stay cool.
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 6971 replies49 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Our temps are starting to plummet! Whooo hoooo. (Chicagoland area)
    · Reply · Share