right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Heat wave - what are your plans

Replies to: Heat wave - what are your plans

• KnowsstuffKnowsstuff 4243 replies17 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @Publisher.... That is great!!!! We thought about getting small pools like that for our dog but he just sleeps on the bathroom floor which is cold marble right over the cold air vent... 😉.
    In Chitown now its feels almost cold at 71 degrees and going to rain soon. Amazing what a 22 degree drop will do.
    · Reply · Share
  • MarilynMarilyn 3709 replies124 threadsRegistered User Senior Member

showmom858 wrote: »
    My Aunt and Uncle and a couple of my cousins and their families are visiting San Diego from the Northeast this week. They rented a beach house a bit north of us. I talked to my Aunt this morning about our dinner plans with them later today and she told me how much they are enjoying our cooler weather.
    There’s a reason so many people from Arizona come to San Diego every summer. We’ve learned to refer to them as Zonies.

· Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 21140 replies219 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    As hot as it is here, I
    Hey! Just got the email from WF: "Prime members get 35% off ice cream and frozen novelties from July 17 – July 30."

But not going out.

How to get it home to your freezer before it melts would be a challenge!
    · Reply · Share
  • NJWrestlingmomNJWrestlingmom 1232 replies2 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    99 here and probably just as humid!!! Lucky for me the in-laws live at the beach with an in-ground pool! Also happens to be the weekend D21 has her friends here as a make up for a Sweet 16 that was NorEastered out in January! Beach, pool, food, repeat!
    · Reply · Share
  • IgloooIglooo 8180 replies211 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Where is the cold front that was supposed to come soon?
    · Reply · Share
  • oldfortoldfort 22956 replies290 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    My sister came to NJ to visit my mom for few days. I went out over the weekend to see both of them. My sis told me to bring my swim suit so we could sit out at the pool and my mother said maybe we could go out to a local mall. We ended up staying in to binge watch a Chinese soap opera and drank a lot of wine. We then went out to a crab place (with very cool AC) for dinner. Had a very good visit.
    I have my AC at 72 right now in my apartment.
    · Reply · Share
  • 1214mom1214mom 4552 replies180 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    My Bengal cat is sleeping under the covers on my son’s bed. It’s normal for her, but I figured with this heat she would opt for elsewhere.
    · Reply · Share
  • dentmom4dentmom4 1355 replies4 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    So yesterday was my 45th HS reunion. 150 expected. Early in the day large storms went through and knocked out the power at our location. The plus: the temps had dropped from 90 to 72.

The facility came through with candles and ice, the appetizers and main dishes were served together (cooked and kept hot at another site), a generator provided a few lights 2 hours after we started. No mike, no music, no AC, but honestly we didn’t really care. A good time was had by all who came (and we were 30 short)!
    · Reply · Share
  • sryrstresssryrstress 2519 replies9 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Heat index has been ~105 the last three days. I've been out sanding, staining, and finishing woodwork. 16' boards and no where to do it inside. Had to finish; the contractor might be back this week. It's stacked in the house now and I'm trying to suck humidity out of it!

2019 weather has not been kind. Polar vortex (s) and -45 windchills, a winter that lasted into May, and brutal heat and humidity since early June. 150 degree swing between Jan 20 and July 20th.
    · Reply · Share
  • mathmommathmom 32380 replies159 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Today we went and saw Much Ado About Nothing in a nearby park. The sound system was wonky, but it was a pretty good production. I never get tired of seeing it. But this is is probably the fifth or sixth version I've seen.
    · Reply · Share
    96 Saturday and Sunday. Right now - rainy and 66. :)
    · Reply · Share
  • IgloooIglooo 8180 replies211 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Lucky you, no rain here and still upper 90's.
    · Reply · Share
  • abasketabasket 19349 replies860 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    96 yesterday, 76 right now. I came home from work and H had all the windows closed and the AC on. I was like a mad man - "why is this house closed up, it's BEAUTIFUL outside - let's get some fresh air inside!!!" (abasket runs through two floors of the house throwing up windows)
    · Reply · Share
  • TS0104TS0104 890 replies26 threadsRegistered User Member
    This past weekend was the first time I remember in my adult life that I made or modified my plans due to heat. We decided not go to to our city's Rib Fest, that we had been looking forward to, and also I planned indoor chores all day Sunday instead of the usual outdoor. Good thing...Saturday night our power was out 8-11 pm, thank goodness it came on as we were going to bed, we probably would have had to go to a hotel to sleep (it was the hottest day all year), then Sunday night at church, their power wasn't on either...we stayed, but the second half was really difficult. Might live in the same state as @abasket, same difference in temps yesterday and today, I was the one with all the windows open enjoying the breeze until DH came home and turned the air on...I think he's still traumatized from trying to mulch in the heat yesterday!
    · Reply · Share
  • garlandgarland 16006 replies198 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Waiting for that rumored cold front here in S. Jersey. Still 90, at 6pm. I biked this morning before it got too hot, mostly stayed inside with window AC for the hottest part of the day--except to pick produce for cooking and freezing. Went down to the Del. Bay for a late afternoon swim, but full of jellies--mostly the ok kind, but saw one possibly stinging sort, so not too long in the water. Read on beach for a while, but even with chair-shade, too hot. Now back inside. Waiting for that cold front.
    · Reply · Share
  • oldmom4896oldmom4896 3895 replies290 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Big thunderstorms at last here in Brooklyn. The sky looks greenish, thunder is thundering!
    · Reply · Share
  • HouseChatteHouseChatte 706 replies1 threadsRegistered User Member
    @doschicos I think we're not too far apart, 64 and raining here. Windows are wide open, I keep hoping a breeze doesn't kick up and start blowing water into the house.
    · Reply · Share
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn 38447 replies2106 threadsSuper Moderator Super Moderator
    We went up to our cabin in the mountains over the weekend. It got up to 86 at one point, but there was a nice breeze and it wasn't bad. We hung out in a nearby lake. A beautiful bald eagle perched in a tree just a few feet from us and observed us carefully before taking off.
    · Reply · Share
    abasket wrote: »
    96 yesterday, 76 right now. I came home from work and H had all the windows closed and the AC on. I was like a mad man - "why is this house closed up, it's BEAUTIFUL outside - let's get some fresh air inside!!!" (abasket runs through two floors of the house throwing up windows)

Sometimes I want the A/C for humidity as much as temperature.
    · Reply · Share