right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

Heat wave - what are your plans

1235»

Replies to: Heat wave - what are your plans

• lookingforwardlookingforward 33487 replies363 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited July 22
    On radar, the hardest thunderstorms are showing from south of Boston, moving through RI and hitting New London now. But the hardest seems to bypass NYC and showing offshore now by Tom's River.

75 here, yay, and high 70 tomorrow.
    My dog is afraid of the thunder.
    edited July 22
    · Reply · Share
  • NJWrestlingmomNJWrestlingmom 1179 replies2 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @garland down to 72 further north! Drove home from work in the worst rain I can remember!!! Was 101 at the shore when we left yesterday at dinner time!
    · Reply · Share
  • garlandgarland 15983 replies198 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @NJWrestlingmom It's totally missed Cape May County so far...a little bit cooler but not a drop of rain. I think it's going to go down gradually overnight, and we may get some rain, but nothing like what's going on north of us.
    · Reply · Share
  • abasketabasket 19183 replies854 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @doschicos meaning even if the temp is lower but the humidity is high you'd like the AC? I agree with that. But tonight there was no humidity - I treasure every spring/summer/fall day I can have open windows!
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 20868 replies216 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Yes, @abasket, sometimes I'll turn it on to reduce humidity. Not often but t times.

63 now and its been pouring for hours. The grass will be happy after all the scorching heat.
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 38732 replies467 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Our Seattle mini heat wave is over. Two days of 85 plus heat. Not as horrid as you all experienced, but still much warmer than we needed!

71 degrees and pleasant. Judging by the clouds, there are high winds that would keep heat at bay.
    · Reply · Share
  • garlandgarland 15983 replies198 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Woke up to 72, cloudy, gorgeous breezes! Drizzling now and then. I'll take it!
    · Reply · Share
  • eyemamomeyemamom 5421 replies79 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Hallelujah the heatwave is over. It’s raining here now so the dogs still don’t want to be out as much but I’ll take it!
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 74268 replies3249 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I’m traveling today. Right now I’m at the airport in Baltimore where I’m pretty sure their AC is not working well. It’s sticky and humid in here...but probably not as hot as outside.

· Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 20868 replies216 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    It's supposed to be 101 in London by Thursday.
    · Reply · Share
  • ChiselCheeksChiselCheeks 105 replies7 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    I'll take a few weeks of too hot rather than 4+ solid months of below freezing weather we get. I am an outdoors person and enjoy walking outside in the heat more than the cold. That being said, during the winter, I am often the only one outside walking my dog while all the winter lovers hibernate indoors.
    · Reply · Share
  • wis75wis75 14021 replies62 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited July 23
    Now in Tampa where 90's and very humid is the summer norm, with near daily brief thunderstorms just when you think about going in the pool... We have acclimated- keep A/C at 78 (except when I clean house, then 76 so I don't sweat). Would never live in Florida without it. Plan north vacations every summer- not the Midwest this year but PNW (keep those temps low for us BusenBurner). Summers are spent indoors, the reverse of my Wisconsin ones.
    edited July 23
    · Reply · Share
  • ivycoverivycover 135 replies1 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Try to ride the bicycle twice a day before or substantially after the heat index gets to 115.
    · Reply · Share
  • ChoatieMomChoatieMom 5211 replies238 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Last night’s monsoon storm cooled temps to 102 today but threw in some humidity. We keep the thermostat at 72 during the heat (July-September) but turn the heating/cooling system off entirely once outside temps are consistently below 90. It’s hard to convince people who don’t live here how comfortable mid-to-low 90s are and that sweater weather begins when temps are in the 80s. That won’t happen until October, though. In the meantime, we enjoy a lot of frozen beverages and pool time.

Glad to hear that the heatwave has broken for everyone else.
    · Reply · Share
  • patsmompatsmom 4193 replies504 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Glad to hear that the heatwave has broken for everyone else.
    ...except for those of us in south Florida, where it's perpetually hot from April to November ...
    · Reply · Share
  • 4kids4us4kids4us 626 replies4 threadsRegistered User Member
    @thumper1 I hope your flight got out. Just saw online that BWI had a ground stop on all flights this afternoon due to the storms up and down the east coast today.
    · Reply · Share
  • washugradwashugrad 1118 replies13 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Well we missed the US heat wave last week since we were on the west coast but now we are in southern Germany (Freiburg) and heading to France later this week (Colmar) getting slammed with their second big heat wave of the summer, and no a/c in the places we are staying. Trying to find ways to stay cool while sightseeing. Thursday is meant to be the worst day and then it should get better again.
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 74268 replies3249 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @4kids4us

My flight took off from BWI right on time at 2:50. I didn’t hear about any delays while I was there! Good!!!
    · Reply · Share