right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Reaching Out To Any CC Members In The El Paso Area

abasketabasket 19034 replies853 postsRegistered User Senior Member
I missed this terrible news earlier. So, so upsetting and tragic.
My heart goes out to anyone here on CC that lives in the area or has family in the area who must now be shocked.

I don't know many details yet, just hearing the news but one of my first instincts on this board with people from all over the country is to extend a hand to hold.
211 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Reaching Out To Any CC Members In The El Paso Area

• CreeklandCreekland 5754 replies89 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I saw TX last night and woke up to Dayton this morning too. It's a scary thought knowing copycats are out there so it's only a matter of when and where for the next one. (sigh)

I also wonder how long before "the masses" get scared and no longer go out to shop, etc, affecting the economy. Seems many got used to the various school/workplace/church shootings and went on their everyday lives even with the occasional movie theater or retail "event" tossed in. Will that happen with more frequent "everyday" places or will people hole up only going out when needed - enough to affect the economy?

Our gun culture country has never been safe compared to the rest of the first world, but will folks take note now?

Musing about the big picture for the rest of us aside my heart aches for those dead and wounded along with all their friends/relatives. It's so needless and just plain wrong.
    · Reply · Share
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes 33215 replies767 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited August 6
    My partner's extended family all live in Dayton. They're fine but I freaked out when I heard.

Otherwise though, I stopped feeling anything a long time ago.
    edited August 6
    Post edited by MaineLonghorn on
    · Reply · Share
  • HeartofDixieHeartofDixie 202 replies6 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    So tragic. This world sure is a mess.
    · Reply · Share
  • JustaMomJustaMom 2672 replies96 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I'm on tap to go to a concert tonight, and I'm already feeling that tension of being in a large crowd of people. I will go, but you can bet your life I will be hyper-aware of my surroundings and those around me.
    · Reply · Share
  • roycroftmomroycroftmom 2812 replies36 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Hal of the 10 deadliest shootings in US history have occurred in the last 3 years.
    · Reply · Share
  • LakeWashingtonLakeWashington 8853 replies470 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    "If you're not furious, you are not paying attention." That's the quote of the year. I want that t-shirt!!!
    · Reply · Share
  • TatinGTatinG 6360 replies113 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2019-08-04/el-paso-dayton-gilroy-mass-shooters-data
    An editorial based on research of mass shootings since 1966. I know this is behind a paywall so I'll sum up.
    They all had early childhood trauma and exposure to violence at a young age, such as physical or sexual abuse, parental suicide, neglect, domestic violence or severe bullying.
    They had all had recent triggering events that caused them to become angry or despondent and suicidal.
    They had studied other mass shooters. They were copycats and they had been radicalized online. Mass shootings tend to come in clusters.
    They had access to the guns. School shooters took their parents guns. Others obtained them illegally.
    · Reply · Share
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy 18420 replies324 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Not every mass shooter had a difficult childhood. Some are seriously mentally ill and not in touch with reality.
    · Reply · Share
  • alwaysamomalwaysamom 12261 replies216 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    It is an appalling situation and it is unlikely that any meaningful changes will occur.
    · Reply · Share
  • GrainraiserGrainraiser 469 replies3 postsRegistered User Member
    The lobbyist have taken over our government. My Lt Govenor just blamed the shootings on video games. I hate to get political on this forum. Prayers to all of those who are effected by these violent acts,
    · Reply · Share
  • HeartofDixieHeartofDixie 202 replies6 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    I agree there are some people that should not have guns, my ex-husband is one of them. Many of them have not committed crimes and would pass a background check, the problem is how to pinpoint those people and keep guns away from them. Allowing access to mental health records would seem to help in some cases, but then you get into the area of privacy concerns and patient privilege, so I'm not sure how you can figure out who those people are. How do you know someone is dangerous and stop them before they have gone off the deep end?

· Reply · Share