right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Outer Banks of North Carolina?

TatinGTatinG 6360 replies113 postsRegistered User Senior Member
We're making a sort of last minute trip to North Carolina. I have never been to the Outer Banks. Is it all built up with condos/hotels/kitchy tourist traps or is is quiet/natural/open?
8 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Outer Banks of North Carolina?

• sevmomsevmom 8342 replies53 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited August 12
    It depends on what part of the Outer Banks you will be going to . It is not as built up as a place like Ocean City, Myrtle Beach, etc. The further south you go, it is less built up(Hatteras, Avon, Salvo, Ocracoke, etc). Nags Head and Kill Devil Hills are more built up (middle). Duck, Corolla,(north) are also less built up(lots of beach houses). The Sanderling resort in Duck is nice.
    edited August 12
    · Reply · Share
  • Nrdsb4Nrdsb4 16808 replies156 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    We rented a large beautiful house right on the beach in Duck. It was spectacular. Relatively quiet area, there are many more beach communities that are far more touristy.
    · Reply · Share
  • sevmomsevmom 8342 replies53 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    The Wright Brothers National Memorial is very interesting. I like Manteo too.
    · Reply · Share
  • pishicacapishicaca 275 replies8 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    Great place to visit, but be advised that if you and yours like to spend a lot of time in the water or on the beach, the Outer Banks can be a bit more volatile and windy than other coastal areas because of their location. Riptides and currents can be particularly tricky there, and the wind can be so constant and high as to provide a sandblasting effect while on the beach. Of course, you can get a perfectly calm week as well. But caution in the water there is a must.
    · Reply · Share
  • eb23282eb23282 485 replies14 postsRegistered User Member
    I've been to the OBX for 16 years and not once have I experienced high wind or "sandblasting" effects. I really don't think this is something the OP needs to worry about. But one should ALWAYS be cautious in the ocean, regardless.
    · Reply · Share
  • Nrdsb4Nrdsb4 16808 replies156 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I was there in April and the first few days were calm and beautiful. The last several were extremely windy and cold (not an issue in summer I'm sure). The water was so roiled up it looked like a Tsunami wave was coming straight at the living room. That wasn't the case in reality, but the difference was extremely dramatic-when I first walked into the living room with its tall windows, my heart caught in my throat for a moment, it was so scary looking. So I can certainly see how the safety of that water could be something to consider carefully.
    · Reply · Share
  • kelsmomkelsmom 15525 replies98 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited August 13
    We took the kids years ago & stayed in Kill Devil Hills. We did not find it overcrowded. We did feel that Duck seemed a bit more of an upscale beach experience than KDH.

S and his GF were just there. They stayed in Nags Head and had a wonderful time. S is not into crowds, so I assume it wasn't too crowded. They said the food was fabulous. The further down you go, the less crowded ... but you'll also get fewer places to eat, in case that makes a difference for you.
    edited August 13
    · Reply · Share
  • eyemamomeyemamom 5411 replies79 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    And watch for sharks. If you look at a map from the ocean perspective you can see why there are more shark attacks there. We took our kids in an rv when they were little and we saw so many shark fins we stuck to the pool.
    Keep in mind my parents allowed me to see Jaws when I was 6 or 7 and it’s had a lasting impact on me. I don’t even like to jump off my boat on a river because I’m convinced sharks are everywhere.
    · Reply · Share