right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Anyone else wonder if their kids are related to each other?

dadof4kidsdadof4kids 620 replies61 postsRegistered User Member
I'm trying to figure out how I have 4 kids and somehow they all seem to be opposites of each other. Doesn't seem possible. No advice needed here, no great story to share either. Just sharing the random thoughts in my head this afternoon. We've had them all 4 in the house for the last 2 weeks, and have had more "together" time than normal. Just a large # of reminders of how different they all are.

Fortunately all are getting along somewhat well, even as they shake their heads and wonder why their siblings behave the way they do.
43 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Anyone else wonder if their kids are related to each other?

• mathmommathmom 32137 replies158 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited August 15
    I only have two and they are pretty much polar opposites. One was into math the other history. One is fairly anti-social and introverted, the other one was always interested in people's motivations and emotions. Thankfully they share an interest in complicated board games. (And video and computer games.)
    edited August 15
    · Reply · Share
  • bgbg4usbgbg4us 1238 replies37 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Dadof4kids - DITTO. how can you have so many opposites?! I'll have only 2 at home this year and its so much easier.
    · Reply · Share
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes 33220 replies767 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    My sister and I are polar opposites. People who know us both almost always comment on it at some point.

The one thing we have in common is we're both very political but even that manifests in different ways. We're on the same end of thr political spectrum but she wants to be a politician and I never want my face on camera lol.
    · Reply · Share
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn 37841 replies2065 postsSuper Moderator Super Moderator
    Yes. Applies to my sister and me, as well as our three kids.
    · Reply · Share
  • katliamomkatliamom 12783 replies167 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    My two were opposites as children, but with age have become more alike. One was social, gregarious, a motor-mouth, dramatic and emotional, the other was calm, quiet, introverted, fearless. One tests profoundly gifted, the other... not, lol (guess which one has had the more successful academic career?) As children they drove each other - and their parents - crazy. As adults they're kind and nonjudgmental with each other, and occasionally hang out together when they don't "have" to. I'm glad they've become friendly and supportive; I worried they wouldn't have much of a connection.
    · Reply · Share
  • atomomatomom 4638 replies41 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    We have 7 kids and quite a variety of personalities. H and I truly are opposites--he's ENFP, I'm ISTJ. The kids are a mixture, but there are some alliances.
    Only one of our kids did not need glasses/contacts and braces. He was also a very helpful, obedient child. Got a full ride to college. Even napped on schedule as a baby. We call him our "Golden Child."
    · Reply · Share
  • dadof4kidsdadof4kids 620 replies61 postsRegistered User Member
    edited August 15
    S18 and S19 were barely on speaking terms the last couple years they lived under the same roof. Since S18 went away to college last year, they have gotten along much better. He is even talking with S19 about flying across the country sometime this year to visit him at his school, which I thought would never happen.

Also, S19 has always been a slob, which was one of the (many) sources of their conflict. He has lived all summer (except the last 2 weeks when he was back home) with a few guys who are even worse. He has turned into a neat freak, which the rest of us find very amusing.
    edited August 15
    · Reply · Share
  • eyemamomeyemamom 5413 replies79 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Another one with opposite kids. I sometimes wonder how given the same genes and upbringing could be so different. Neither would be friends with the other if they weren’t related, but I do believe it’s been good for both of them.
    · Reply · Share
  • momocarlymomocarly 862 replies8 postsRegistered User Member
    I have two totally opposite kids too (a little more understandable since one is adopted and the other isn't). One has a mental illness, is great in sports, hates school, no desire to go to college, no real social skills, no work ethic, but has a HUGE heart! The other is very academic, very social, makes friends easily, has a sarcastic sense of humor that drives his sister insane! They barely tolerate each other. She is jealous of him and he is frustrated that she doesn't do what he knows she is capable of.
    · Reply · Share
  • abasketabasket 19045 replies853 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I was just thinking today....I would like to know the odds that when a mother and father birth two kids one kid is more like one parent and if the other kid is more like the other parent. I feel like I note this often.

We have three kids. Certainly they have differences. But honestly, they have a lot of the same traits. In fact, all three of them are known to say things like "when you are a (our last name) kid" ....and then name a trait or habit because they feel like it is universal among all three of them.
    · Reply · Share
  • shellfellshellfell 3276 replies11 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    My 2 sons are opposite in some ways, alike in others. Personality-wise, each one takes after one of us (DH and I are not alike), so the one more like either one of us was the one who drove that parent crazy. They were both good students, altho S2 tried succeeding in the same subjects that were S1's strengths (not a great idea) - fortunately, he decided to pursue his interests by the time he got to college. They both love sports, playing and watching. S1 is more responsible with $ than S2. S2 is much more musically inclined than S1. S2 is more empathic than S1. S1 is more ambitious than S2.
    · Reply · Share
  • colorado_momcolorado_mom 8894 replies78 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I sometime marvel about how our daughter and son are very similar in many ways.... yet also very different . The got along pretty well as children and now are good friends (well as much so as possible 2000 miles apart).
    · Reply · Share
  • Momof3BMomof3B 117 replies5 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    I have 14 year old Fraternal Twins and a 16 year old. The twins are polar opposites. Even when they shared a crib they barely acknowledged each other lol. There is ZERO “twin connection”. Everything from their personalities, likes, dislikes...couldn’t be further apart. Interestingly, Thing #1 is closer to older brother. Academic wise, the twins do a little better than their brother in that they are both very strong in Math while my eldest has the hardest time in Math. The twins are also strong test takers whereas older brother has test taking anxiety. Our eldest is the social butterfly, Mr Popular and has a wicked sense of humor while Thing #1 is more reserved yet a “cool cucumber” who has a very tight but limited friends circle and Thing #2 who is extremely extroverted is also kind of socially awkward.
    · Reply · Share
  • great lakes momgreat lakes mom 2975 replies28 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Having identical twins, I am well aware of twin studies regarding identicals raised apart showing how much those raised together try to differentiate themselves from their sibling. Raised separately, the similarities in identicals are sometimes more eerie. My 3 are quite different, and certainly disparage the others to me at times! I wonder if the urge to differentiate also occurs in singleton siblings. However I also ascribe differences to peer group influence, which has been major with all of mine. I also marvel at how despite those differences, they are all some of the most interesting people I know.
    · Reply · Share
  • kjs1992kjs1992 109 replies2 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    We have two boys who are polar opposites. They share none of the same interests, and are nothing alike except for the occasional glance where you know they're related...and they also share a quick wit and a good sense of humor. S1 (Dad's clone) is off in his own little world, does things last minute, never really has had a plan in life, but always seems to land on his feet. He's super easy going. He's brilliant, just never applied himself in school. He drives me nuts - haha. S2? (more like me...but a high test version) Wound tight - has always had a plan. Loves spreadsheets. Knew what he wanted to study when he was 2 . Very driven, ambitious and academic. He also drives me nuts because sometimes I want him to relax and enjoy (he's getting better at that now that he's in college - haha). I often joke that I wish I had one more right in the middle....kind of like Goldilocks and the Three Bears.... ;) But, their differences are what makes them so special. They've each made life interesting, I'll tell you that much. As someone said before, they would never be friends if they weren't related, but they love and appreciate each other for who they are.
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 20627 replies209 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    atomom wrote: »
    We have 7 kids and quite a variety of personalities...
    Only one of our kids did not need glasses/contacts and braces. He was also a very helpful, obedient child. Got a full ride to college. Even napped on schedule as a baby. We call him our "Golden Child."

Oh, I bet the other 6 just love that. :D

My two are more alike than different - and they are different in many ways -even with opposite genders. On the other hand, my spouse and I are VERY different from our siblings. Always have been.

I'm always amazed by families where everyone looks alike, like stair steps. In our family, both siblings and children, you might see a similar feature here and there but we don't really look alike too much either.

· Reply · Share