right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

It’s so quiet here now!

conmamaconmama 4192 replies310 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
edited August 19 in Parent Cafe
It’s sad. Is it because a lot of people use their phones and this format is not phone friendly? I did try once on my phone and it was ridiculous trying to find anything. I normally just use my iPad. It’s still not easy being in here for an length of tI’ve due to the font, but it’s definite crickets. I miss the lively topics, I still stop by a few times a day.
edited August 19
118 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: It’s so quiet here now!

• Cardinal FangCardinal Fang 18273 replies157 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I guess they intended to kill off the Parent Cafe.
    · Reply · Share
  • GKUnionGKUnion 148 replies5 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    I used to browse several sub-forums. Now I simply open latest posts. Traffic and clicks must be down post-update.
    · Reply · Share
  • abasketabasket 19204 replies855 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    It takes a village. (and @conmama you do your part you are a good thread starter!).

I do agree with you. It is discouraging to come on and check and have not much of interest or new to click on.

I personally am sort of past the "difficulty" reading the font. It's not ideal but I've adjusted. I also don't think that if people "holding out for a font change - or any other site changes" is going to make them happen. It's been a couple months now - I don't think we're holding anything over admins head.

I use mostly on a laptop and occasionally on my phone. I manage to navigate.

Oldies or newbies - start a thread! We will talk about anything!! ;) Food, clothing, news, questions, empty nest, diet/exercise, travel, DIY, etc.!
    · Reply · Share
  • pishicacapishicaca 283 replies8 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    edited August 19
    Agreed. I used to be able to visit multiple times a day and find quite a bit of new content. Now, not so much. It's discouraging, because with the tweaks they have made and my becoming more familiar with the functionality and architecture, it is no longer a chore to visit. I get more and more sad with each log-in.
    edited August 19
    · Reply · Share
  • momo2x2018momo2x2018 830 replies49 threadsRegistered User Member
    I find the new format quite user 'unfriendly'. It used to be so easy to go straight to a topic or forum of interest, now less so. Sad :-(
    · Reply · Share
    I have never had trouble finding things since the change. True that I am largely only on the cafe - so as long as I bookmark the home page for the cafe I'm good to go!

If you're here posting on this thread, you got here fine - practice makes perfect! :)

· Reply · Share
  • happy1happy1 22773 replies2243 threadsVerified Member Senior Member
    I'm with @GKUnion -- I used to go through a number of forums I found interesting but now just go to Latest Posts (happily I saw this here). In fact due to the "update" I gave up my position as Forum Champion since I could not monitor the large forums effectively on my phone and I'm on CC less often.

I hope, but strongly doubt, that there will be wholesale improvements.

· Reply · Share
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy 18484 replies324 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I'm afraid this is as good as it's going to get. And I agree with everyone who said it's just not as much fun to come here. I can log on in the AM, then again around 3:00 PM, and hardly anything is new.
    · Reply · Share
    ^^^ Like a business, during hard times you if you want to reap benefits you have to jump in a little harder and more frequently.

We have had some recent threads that have taken off - so there are people around, people posting.

Less threads = less opportunities to post =less content to read.

Momentum can be build with effort. :)
    · Reply · Share
    ^^^ However, CC is not a business where you need to keep working at it because your livelihood is at stake. CC is purely optional and many other things can fill the time. I value the CC community and enjoy helping students which is why it is so frustrating that the updated site is so much less user-friendly (at least for me).

It does appear that we have to live with this "improved" format so each person will choose to come to CC (or not) as he/she sees fit.
    · Reply · Share
    Ok, throw the business concept out the window. I can see what you're saying...
    Instead...
    Like a FRIENDSHIP, during hard times you if you want to reap benefits you have to jump in a little harder and more frequently.
    Like a FAMILY, during hard times you if you want to reap benefits you have to jump in a little harder and more frequently.
    Like a NEIGHBORHOOD, during hard times you if you want to reap benefits you have to jump in a little harder and more frequently to keep the neighborhood active.
    · Reply · Share
  • GKUnionGKUnion 148 replies5 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @abasket A relationship where one party dictates the parameters and the other parties have no choice but to adapt isn’t much of a relationship. As others have stated, user satisfaction has a profound effect on visits and activity. With the change in format I’ve had to change my habits. I’m unhappy about it but I can only control what I can control.
    · Reply · Share
    edited August 19
    Again I concur with @GKUnion If a friend, family member, neighbor etc. dictates the parameters of how we may engage in a relationship and isn't interested in my input then the only thing I have control over is how often (or if) I choose to engage in that relationship. In this case it is CC determines how we interact on their site -- and as someone who has spent a lot of time volunteering here in its current format I have chosen to use it differently (just going to latest posts) as well as coming less often. (Thankfully there is much more give and take with my family, friends, neighbors etc. than CC seems to have with the comments on its new format from long-time posters).
    edited August 19
    · Reply · Share
  • CTTCCTTC 2172 replies132 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited August 19
    @happy1, good for you that you resigned your Forum Champion position. I'd suggested mods and forum champions boycott the site to get CC's attention after the relaunch, but I don't think anyone did. Why should anyone "try harder" for what is, after all, a volunteer position? (BTW, what is a "Verified Member," which is what you have under your name?)

It's not up to the posters to "jump in a little harder and more frequently" to attempt to get more traffic to a site whose owners don't even care. Maybe those who got the free CC shirts feel some sort of sense of obligation to do so. Not me!
    edited August 19
    · Reply · Share
  • HouseChatteHouseChatte 651 replies1 threadsRegistered User Member
    Expanding on the neighbor analogy, I'd think of this update less that my neighbors did something and more that, say, the town council cut a road through our neighborhood park.
    · Reply · Share
  • sushirittosushiritto 3878 replies11 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited August 19
    While I'm not a big fan of all the changes, I'm about as active on this site as I have been in the past. Generally, I try to assimilate and I think I've done so here.
    edited August 19
    · Reply · Share
  • VaBluebirdVaBluebird 3266 replies228 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    We're just in a slump. Dog Days of August and all that. It'll pick up.
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 74366 replies3255 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I started a thread.
    · Reply · Share