right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

College stories from the Stone Age...lets LOL

thumper1thumper1 74366 replies3255 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
Ok...as I read the threads about things people do at move in, and things people forget...I was reminded of my own freshman move in.

I went to a very small liberal arts college in West Virginia, total enrollment 900 people. I was from a major metro area in the Midwest. My freshman roommate lived in a somewhat rural area of a different state.

Remember....all of this was happening via U.S. postal service mail.

My roommate felt that I had better access to more and varied stores for our room decor (bedspreads, rugs, towels, wall art, etc) where I lived. And really she was right. The only problem was...we didn’t own a car, so getting to these places was not an easy task.

The roommate sent me “her share” of the money...$100...which was a lot of money in the Stone Age. She didn’t care what I bought at all. She just wanted it to match.

My mom found a friend to drive us to KMart. I bought everything. Honestly, I don’t remember whether I kicked in money or not. I certainly didn’t have $100 extra to do so.

Anyway...I brought the stuff, and everyone was happy. Matching bedspreads, area rugs, towels, wall art. Even some desk “stuff”. The stuff was all my favorite colors.

Punchline...at the end of the year, I transferred, and my roomie didn’t want the matching stuff either, so she asked me to take care of selling it. I sold it all for just a little less than what I bought it for...and my roommate didn’t want any of the money!

Ok!
131 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: College stories from the Stone Age...lets LOL

• happy1happy1 22773 replies2243 threadsVerified Member Senior Member
    @maya54 My H went to Notre Dame when it was all male and they had laundry service (and maid service).
    · Reply · Share
  • VaBluebirdVaBluebird 3266 replies228 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited August 19
    Watching the Woodstock documentary on PBS has brought back a lot o memories of that time. I was 18 and about to go off to college in late August. I can't believe that was 50 years ago. What a summer.
    I roomed with a best friend from home and we were in the same major. Loved, loved, loved moving into the dorm and meeting nice girls from all over. Being excited and thrilled and nervous. A great time.
    edited August 19
    · Reply · Share
  • thedreamydaisythedreamydaisy 150 replies4 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    I remember calling my parents in the first few weeks crying because I thought my Calculus 101 class was too difficult. The joke of it was I ended up graduating from UCSD with a major in Applied Mathematics....lol.

I also remember having to call Pacific Bell when we first moved in to set up a phone number so we could have a phone in our dorm room.
    · Reply · Share
  • mathmommathmom 32261 replies159 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I asked for a roommate who traveled and speaking French and German might be nice too. I got a roommate who was from Bangladesh, whose mother was German and whose family was living in Paris. We got along well and still keep in touch. She was a big help with German homework! I remember calling when long distance rates were low, though my freshman year my parents were in Tanzania and it was strictly once a week letters. We did have a phone in the room. When I was a boarder my senior year of high school though it was one phone for the whole dorm.
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 7002 replies50 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I remember my move in - it took HOURS after we got to campus to get close enough to my dorm to unload. All freshmen moved in on the same day with no time slots. It was chaos. But, I remember the orientation counselors descending on the car like vultures and unloading in no time flat, but having to lug everything up the stairs (no elevator in my dorm back in the day). We wasted so much time waiting to unload that my mom basically said "goodbye" and left immediately. I don't know how that was for her but we started orientation activities that very night.

We had a corded phone in the room but only called Sundays when long distance was cheaper. Also brought a word processor to college with me ; )
    · Reply · Share
  • showmom858showmom858 2911 replies16 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I went to a large California state university. We actually had phones in all of our dorm rooms, but making long distance calls in 1980 were expensive. Somehow we were able to get some special access numbers that we would share with friends and we were able to use these and a long distance call would be free! When we used those numbers we would call from one of the 3 payphones in the first floor dorm lobby since we were worried they might catch us if we used the phones in our rooms.
    · Reply · Share
  • Nocreativity1Nocreativity1 1112 replies55 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited August 19
    I vividly remember when the new "vending" machine called an ATM was put in. We were all amazed!

I also barely recall freshman week before classes started when we would all find a gathering point near the 20 foot inflatable Budweiser bottle and drink beer from kegs supplied by the school.

How about writing papers on legal paper, then typing, then waiting to photo copy your copy (5 cents a page) just in case. I also remember my dad asking during our weekly call why he was billed by campus health for my infected ear piercing. Apparently privacy firewalls didn't exist
    edited August 19
    · Reply · Share
  • Groundwork2022Groundwork2022 2109 replies31 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited August 19
    After moving me in, my parents bought me an Apple Macintosh with like a 20MB hard drive. State of the art!
    edited August 19
    · Reply · Share
  • showmom858showmom858 2911 replies16 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    There was also that Friday afternoon when friends and I were leaving one fraternity happy hour to go to another fraternity happy hour and the police officer stopped at a traffic light did not say a word to us even though we were crossing the street (in a crosswalk) and holding a pitcher of beer!
    · Reply · Share
  • abasketabasket 19201 replies855 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I remember so clearly the door shutting to my dorm room with my parents on the other side who had just said goodbye. As much as I couldn't wait it felt a bit weird - on my own.

Yes, collect calls home on Sunday. That was about the only communication except I think I wrote my little brother letters. My BF now H would call me from his school and I would pull the phone cord in the hallway for "privacy". (phones in our room).

On the topic of phones, there were pay phones down in the lobby/common spaces of our large dorm. I'll never forget one night we realized that when we put coins in one of them they would come right back out in the change slot. But it somehow recorded as "in" the phone for the operator. For WEEKS we would go down to that phone with the same 3-4 quarters and we called EVERY friend we knew and our boyfriends who were in other places nightly. We thought this was the best thing EVER. Finally someone figured it out or reported it and the "free minutes" of the late 70's was over. :)
    · Reply · Share
  • CreeklandCreekland 5754 replies89 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    We had phones in our room if one of us brought one and signed up for service. My roommate did. Once several friends were gathered in my room when the phone rang. One gal picked it up quickly and in her sweetest voice said, "Patty's Pleasure Palace, Stephanie speaking. How can I help you?" Her face turned red and she quickly handed me the phone telling me, "It's your DAD!" I took the phone not quite sure what to say, but dad immediately broke the ice by laughing. He had been in a Frat in his college days so had a good idea of the things friends could come up with.

Then there was the time when my mom was visiting... she opened the door when someone knocked and was flashed by a guy from down the hall who also instantly blushed and profusely apologized. He never did that trick again. Mom laughed about it for decades afterward.

It was also fun when we had visitors stop by our dorm during football games, etc. I was in the Corps of Cadets at VT and we had Guard Duty during games. Most cadets didn't care for it. I volunteered for it not particularly liking football. We had plugged rifles we carried during this guard duty. Visitors were often very wary seeing us - probably wondering just how "safe" the campus was and tentatively asking for directions to admissions (or whichever dorm/building they wanted). One time the guy who came in didn't care at all about the rifle, plus he didn't speak English well. I ended up directing him to the pay phone and got a map to give him directions. Later when sharing that story with my mom she noted that his lack of typical reaction could easily be due to his country where perhaps that was the norm and not the exception. Perhaps. I'll never know.

Fun "odd" memories. I loved all the normal experiences too.
    · Reply · Share
  • shellfellshellfell 3304 replies11 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I went to a state university not too far from home, but we didn't own a car. So I alone took my large suitcase and typewriter on my first trip by train to campus about 1.5-2 hours away. I got to campus the day the dorms opened, hung out for a couple of days, went back home and brought another suitcase full of stuff. My suitcase loads were not only my clothes, but bedding and towels as well.
    While I was hanging out in the dorm those couple of days, I met some upper classmen who thought I must've been a transfer, not a freshman, because I seemed more mature to them.
    We had to go to the admin bldg to sign up for in-room phone service and to pick up a phone. I made calls home on Sunday nights when rates were the lowest.
    · Reply · Share