right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

Girls Weekend Ideas Needed

momofsenior1momofsenior1 7003 replies50 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
I would welcome destination ideas for a girls long weekend.
Here are the parameters:
No more than a 3/4 hour flight from the Northeast.
Must be a direct flight from NY and DC.
Early November time frame.
Already off the table: New Orleans, Orlando and Nashville

Thank you!
45 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Girls Weekend Ideas Needed

• 4kids4us4kids4us 626 replies4 threadsRegistered User Member
    I was going to say Charleston but TatinG beat me to it.
    · Reply · Share
  • FlyMeToTheMoonFlyMeToTheMoon 2978 replies45 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Here’s a link to a map that shows the destinations that are nonstop from New York. You can change the city of origin to DC to compare nonstops from there. https://www.skyscanner.com/inspire/map?outboundDate=2019-10-17&outboundPlace=NYCA&preferDirects=true&inboundPlace=SBYA
    · Reply · Share
  • MAmom111MAmom111 127 replies9 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Approximate ages and things that you like to do?
    · Reply · Share
  • abasketabasket 19204 replies855 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Gotta throw in Chicago. Or other midwest areas that will still be fall-ish.

What kind of crowd is this? Outdoorsy? Shop till you drop? Sightseeing?
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 20883 replies217 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Do you all have passports? Quebec City (maybe no non-stops from DC) or Montreal.
    Austin
    +1 to Charleston
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 74366 replies3255 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Bermuda?
    · Reply · Share
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff 3984 replies16 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    https://www.romanticasheville.com/
    This is supposed to be the new cool place to go to. Everyone that I know that has been loves it. Very artsie, good food and music. I want to go but I am a guy .. 😔🎶🍲
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 7003 replies50 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    50 years old. Everything likes something different but we are more explore, visit and dine types vs sit on a beach/spa types.

I offered up Chicago since I could host at my house but everyone seems to want warmer since we are going in November.

Any thoughts about Savannah? I was there years ago with my family and enjoyed it. Thinking there would be enough to do and great restaurants to try for a long girls weekend?

(I agree that Nashville would be great but was an early veto by one of the group).
    · Reply · Share
  • sevmomsevmom 8383 replies55 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I liked Savannah but preferred Charleston (if picking between the two).
    · Reply · Share
    @sevmom - I agree but two of the girls have never been to Savannah and all of us have been to Charleston. I'm trying to be as zen about this as possible but lots of personalities, wishes, and moving parts ; )
    · Reply · Share
  • MAmom111MAmom111 127 replies9 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    We went to Fort Lauderdale last year for a 50th girls weekend and had a blast. We had some late nights so we did enjoy just sitting on the beach and relaxing during the days. There were lots of fun outdoor restaurants and places to hear music. Also lots of different boat tours. Heading to Nashville this year for our girls weekend. I think Charleston or Savannah could be fun. Or even Hilton Head.
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 74366 replies3255 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    What about St. Augustine? You could fly into Jacksonville. We were there last winter and really liked it.
    · Reply · Share
  • taverngirltaverngirl 898 replies20 threadsRegistered User Member
    edited August 21
    My husband's been to Austin on business a few times and was surprised by how much he liked it and how much there was to do there.
    Sedona is lovely, though it may be over 4 hours from NY.
    edited August 21
    · Reply · Share
    Love Austin! My brother lives there but doesn't fit the flight time parameter. (We were also think San Antonio but got nixed as "too far").
    · Reply · Share
  • abasketabasket 19204 replies855 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I thought about Hilton Head too. Or depending on what kind of lodging you want to do, go on AirBNB and start looking for a really great space to rent in a few of the cities mentioned!
    · Reply · Share
  • conmamaconmama 4192 replies310 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I did a girls weekend in Savannah and really enjoyed it. I’d say 3 nights max, as it’s rather contained. One night we went to a “show”, thinking it would be hokey, but it was really fun. I think there are nice restaurants there.
    · Reply · Share
  • kiddiekiddie 3378 replies215 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    We did a weekend in Asheville last year and loved it. Great city to walk around in, great food (best french dinner ever and I have been to france!), and we loved the Biltmore. I would think they have nice fall colors and there is lots of craft type art (makes for interesting shopping). I would highly recommend (we had a direct flight from Newark - so it should be OK).
    · Reply · Share
    Apparently the direct flights are seasonal to Asheville which is why it came off the list. It was our preferred destination.
    :(
    · Reply · Share
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff 3984 replies16 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    It's probably worth it though. No one has a direct flight?
    · Reply · Share