right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

Do you keep up with new music and bands?

conmamaconmama 4191 replies310 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
edited August 23 in Parent Cafe
I don’t. I only listen to music 50% of the time in the car, and it’s typically older music channels. I never listen to it in the house. I really noticed this in the past 5 years. DH keeps up and I make travel pics to music. He’ll pick out music for it and I’ll love them. I never even heard of The Chainsmokers, for example, until 4 years ago. At the cottage, we tend to listen to the same CD’s (another old thing), or ones my DH has burned.

I need to up my game, it makes me feel old.
edited August 23
55 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Do you keep up with new music and bands?

• psychmommapsychmomma 3031 replies45 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I’m not sure I keep up, but I do listen to new music and have several playlists with music from the current year.
    Sometimes I hear a song I like on a tv show and look up the song and band. Other times I listen to trending music from iTunes and find new songs I like.
    I still love my ‘70s and ‘80s music, though.

Speaking of The Chainsmokers, I love Lennon Stella, who is or has opened for them and has a song out with them.
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 7000 replies50 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I used to be great about this but now that I don’t have a car I don’t listen to the radio anymore. Thankfully my 19 year old introduces me to stuff.
    · Reply · Share
  • FlyMeToTheMoonFlyMeToTheMoon 2978 replies45 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I vowed 25 years ago that I would always keep up, but then the stress of working led me to prefer a quiet car when commuting. When my daughter set up Spotify for me, I found I wanted the songs from yesteryear combined with a few contemporary artists that somehow I’m aware of.
    · Reply · Share
  • kjs1992kjs1992 113 replies2 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Because I coach HS age kids, I'm constantly bombarded by their music, which is sometimes fantastic (and usually on my gym mix). But, I'm an 80's girl at heart. There's some really great stuff out there.....Maggie Rogers, Chelsea Cutler, Lana Del Ray and Jon Bellion are really good. I like this little band called The Regrettes and, I got introduced to Lizzo by my son. She's really great, too. I'm not as up with new artists as I'd hoped I would be though....I find myself hearing some of their names and just saying, "Who?????"

I'm currently listening to the new Taylor Swift album which dropped last night...much to the chagrin of my co-workers because it will be on repeat all day...and for the foreseeable future -hahaha.
    · Reply · Share
  • psychmommapsychmomma 3031 replies45 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    ^^ You Need to Calm Down ^^ Thinking about co-workers hearing this on repeat made me laugh!!
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 7000 replies50 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Love Jon Bellion!
    · Reply · Share
  • abasketabasket 19197 replies854 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I would say yes. I do not ever listen to the radio though. I have several of my own playlists on Spotify (mostly never songs, last few years) and I like to listen to some of the Spotify channels that introduce me to new music. My fav Spotify playlist is Happy Hits! - which is a regular Spotify playlist and is largely upbeat newer music.

I rarely listen to music from pre-2000.
    · Reply · Share
  • mathmommathmom 32258 replies159 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Not as much as I would like. WFUV used to cover all the new singer-songwriters in their "City Folk" days, but now half the time they are playing oldies. I actually probably hear more newish music from Rex Parker's New York Times crossword puzzle blog than anywhere else. A few facebook friends link newer stuff and I am always grateful.
    · Reply · Share
  • JHSJHS 18382 replies71 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    For some reason, I never stopped liking to hear new music by new artists, and I get annoyed when a playlist or music at an event consists entirely of things I listened to in high school or college. It's not that I don't still like the old music, although to some extent my tastes in old music have shifted. My local alterna-radio station did a stunt broadcast of the entire 39-hour Rhino Woodstock box set at the same times the various bands performed 50 years ago, and I am embarrassed about how much of it I listened to.

There's nothing remotely wrong or behind-the-curve with not having heard of The Chainsmokers until four years ago. They only emerged as a national act four years ago. I don't like The Chainsmokers, though. Sorry. I am not really an EDM kind of guy, although I make a few exceptions.

My wife likes new music, too, although more than I she really only likes new music that sounds exactly like old music. As we age, we also find ourselves drawn somewhat to artists who are more or less in our generation who have kept themselves vital, not cover bands for their younger selves. We also don't particularly like arena and stadium concerts, so that keeps us away from the biggest stars (again, with a few exceptions).
    · Reply · Share
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff 3982 replies16 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    More or less. I have been going to Riotfest in Chicago with my now 20 year old son for 5 years. I go to see Elvis Costello, Billy Idol, The Cure The Hives and he goes for more current bands and some really crazy ones but fun.
    But if you want to impress your kids my daughter turned me on to https://www.npr.org/series/tiny-desk-concerts/
    It has really great music from all types of bands and most I never heard of.
    Also if you have an Amazon account or the like while cleaning the kitchen etc I put on the latest best hits or top 25 current music and play it on my kitchen TV through a Amazon firestick.
    But for some reason I am on a 10,000 Maniacs /Natalie Merchant kick. (used to be lead singer of the group). 😄🎶
    · Reply · Share
  • jym626jym626 55359 replies2879 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Who are current musicians/groups you like? I added a bunch to my car playlist, but TBH I need to be in my car to see them to remember most of them!!
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 20883 replies217 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    +1 to Tiny Desk.

I don't want to be one of those old people stuck in a musical time warp. We do stay fresh with music although most of the mainstream stuff isn't the music we listen to.

We used to introduce our children to music. Now they pay us back and introduce us to new stuff.

We do go to some music festivals which is a good way to learn about new music.
    · Reply · Share
    Very funny.. I started my kids when very young on the Beatles since their words and melodies were so basic (I want to hold your hand) and they could sing along and have fun. That progressed to our daily Cat Steven's going to elementary school and Crowed House "chocolate cake" song since they thought it was about "Chocolate cake". Lol
    Then I was listening to "their" music but thank goodness my son "Loves" my music from 1960-80s rock! When we go on long drives he plays his play lists that could of been mine when I was younger.
    But great rock band "Greta Van Fleet" been to the concert in Chicago with him. Half the crowd was in their fifties and the other half was in the 20s..
    · Reply · Share
  • showmom858showmom858 2911 replies16 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I keep up on current music because I have always been a music lover. Like many of you my kids now introduce me to new artists and having Sirius and Spotify I find things on my own also. I actually introduced my younger D to Billie Eilish when she was on one of my playlists in the house and D asked who it was. My older D has a friend here in CA trying to make it as a rapper so I started listening to him (Witt Lowry). I love good rock music, pop, country, musical theatre and classical music. I like to choose my music based on my mood.
    · Reply · Share
  • conmamaconmama 4191 replies310 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Now that I think about it, it seems about the time I had kids is when I stopped caring. Like another poster, I turned off the radio when I was by myself for the peace and quiet.
    · Reply · Share
  • mathmommathmom 32258 replies159 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I'm a fan of tiny desk concerts too, but don't listen to them regularly. Our younger son used to get us listening to things we would not have discovered on our own (hip-hop, country and metal) - he had very eclectic taste! My dh occasionally asks our nephew to put together some music CDs/downloads for him. When our younger son was in Jordan he gave us a CD he made of Jordanian pop music. It was very interesting - some stuff inspired by the Arab Spring, and an Arab version of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah". My son's best friend from high school has been working in the music business since graduating from college so we listen to his stuff. (Back beats for rap singers mostly.)
    · Reply · Share
  • jym626jym626 55359 replies2879 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited August 23
    OK- am sitting in my car: play list (in order of how I have listened lately) are: Post Malone, Phil Collins, Ciara, Dave Matthews, Imagine Dragons, Elton John, Jewel, Ed Sheehan, BTS, Khalid, Jonas Brothers, Boney James, Ariana, John legend, Diana Ross, Doobie Brothers, Lady Gaga, Linkin Park (DH added that), Van Morrison, Bruno Mars, Maroon 5, Loggins & Messina, Beyoncé, Halsey, Stevie Winwood, Peter Gabriel, Peter Frampton, Carole King, James Taylor, John Sebastian, Christine and the Queens (my new find!!), Eva Cassidy, Camila, Pink.

There’s more but that’s enough. Real mix, I think.
    edited August 23
    · Reply · Share
    edited August 23
    Nice artist list!
    edited August 23
    · Reply · Share
  • JHSJHS 18382 replies71 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Christine and the Queens is definitely a new artist lots of people can like. It has been a long time since a French singer has really crossed over into the Anglophone pop world. (Not counting Celine Dion, who is Canadian.) Lizzo is pretty undeniable, too.

I am in a little trough, musically, and grumpy about it. There is a whole bunch of artists who have been really core to my taste for the past 20+ years that have gotten kind of boring, or dropped out altogether, or died. One way or another, they have not reliably been producing great new music recently, and I haven't found that many new artists I am as enthusiastic about.
    · Reply · Share
  • 4kids4us4kids4us 626 replies4 threadsRegistered User Member
    @jym626 wow, surprised to see Eva Cassidy on your list. How did you hear about her? She was my brother’s girlfriend in h.s. - he’s a professional musician himself and they met b/c her brother (and eventually her as well) was in a band with my brother when they were in h.s. My mother still keeps in touch with her family and just went out to lunch with her mom last week. Tragic she died so young-she was so talented, not just with music, but as an artist as well.
    · Reply · Share