right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Checks for small businesses

surfcitysurfcity 2508 replies60 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
Do any of you order checks for Quickbooks online? If you order through Intuit they are outrageously expensive. I am wondering if Costco or any other online sellers would provide decent checks for use with QBO? I'm concerned about being able to line everything in up on the printed check and being able to use a window envelope. (Currently I am hand-writing all the checks which is a huge waste of time) Thx!
10 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Checks for small businesses

• WellspringWellspring 1499 replies9 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited August 23
    I buy them from either Costco or Carousel. I try to buy the same ones because reformatting is a pain in the accounting program I use. It's doable but I only want to do it once, not every time I buy checks.
    edited August 23
    · Reply · Share
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn 38093 replies2086 threadsSuper Moderator Super Moderator
    I just hand write checks or pay online.
    · Reply · Share
  • surfcitysurfcity 2508 replies60 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @MaineLonghorn that was my original plan. But I am writing checks that cover 10-12 invoices so the check needs to have those invoice numbers attached to it. Currently I am writing a hand check then printing off the "check" from QB on plain paper and including it in an envelope that I hand address. Colossal waste of time, plus it doesn't look as professional. And I can only pay online for things like utilities etc that don't have inventory invoices.
    · Reply · Share
  • artloversplusartloversplus 8542 replies247 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited August 23
    You can install a check writing software on Windows or Apple computer. Look around in Ebay or Amazon. I print blank checks with account information using those software and a pack of blank check from office depot or staples. A pack of 900 personal checks costs me $19.00, more for business checks.
    edited August 23
    · Reply · Share
  • WellspringWellspring 1499 replies9 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I used to print 3 part business checks with QuickBooks. As I remember it was easy-peasy. I'm sure there's a YouTube on how to format them. So order the cheapest ones you can find and once you get it set up you'll be good to go.
    · Reply · Share
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 12719 replies234 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    You can't use Checkfree or similar to have that online service print and mail checks for you? My bank (hosts my personal and business checking both) includes that, free.
    · Reply · Share
    @artloversplus that is an intriguing idea! I will look into it. @OHMomof2 I can't do that because the check stub needs to have a detailed list of all the invoice numbers that the check is paying for. I use that service for utility bills and so forth, but not for inventory.

It sound like I can feel safe ordering checks from Costco or another online reputable source (it looks like even amazon has them, although I am not an amazon fan). Thanks!
    · Reply · Share
  • EmbracethemessEmbracethemess 312 replies4 threadsRegistered User Member
    I use 3 to a page checks from Costco for our small business with no issues at all. But they don't have stubs. Our accounting software is Quickbooks.
    · Reply · Share
  • Midwest67Midwest67 2953 replies12 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    The people I work for own several small businesses.

We use Quickbooks online for our accounting software, and we order paper checks from Costco -- a different color for each business.

https://www.costcochecks.com/p/high-security-laser-multi-purpose-check-top-w-o-lines/101948

The check stub(s) will list the invoice numbers and amounts. It's very easy to adjust the print window in QBO under Print Setup. PM if you have questions.

The only problem I've ever had with printing checks is when I switch computers (home desktop vs. home laptop vs. main office computer) or printers. You may have to re-adjust in Print Setup if you use QBO on a different computer or printer. No big deal.

We were having trouble with some fake checks and ACHs trying to go through the bank accounts. It's hard to say where the perpetrators picked up the account info. Pretty much anywhere....

The bank we use has a software program where we give them a pre-approved list of our vendors that take payment by ACH. Any ACHs that come in that are not on that approved list and put off to the side on hold (not paid). Also, for every check run, including payroll, we download a check detail report from QBO and upload it to the bank. Any check that attempts to go through, that is not on the list is also put off to the side on hold (not paid).

Hope that helps (and made sense).
    · Reply · Share
    @Midwest67 that is helpful! I was concerned about lining up the checks from Costco with the QBO system. I did talk to Intuit a couple of years ago about this for a nonprofit I was working with and they told me we could not use Costco checks for QB online. Just trying to sell more checks I guess.

Here's to saving a lot of money over the Intuit cost of checks!
    · Reply · Share