right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

2019 College Football Has Begun!

LakeWashingtonLakeWashington 8865 replies474 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
Finally! Sunny Saturdays, stadiums full of school colors, cantankerous cheer squads.
Watching South Alabama-Nebraska now. Gee, do I feel old. I remember when Nebraska coach Scott Frost was a starting quarterback at Nebraska. Am amazed that in the first half Nebraska is demonstrating its passing offense. Passing at Nebraska? What in the world? Next thing you know Vanderbilt will defeat Alabama and an undefeated Columbia will play Harvard for the national championship.
56 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: 2019 College Football Has Begun!

• BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 38904 replies468 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Go Dawgs!!! 😎
    · Reply · Share
  • LakeWashingtonLakeWashington 8865 replies474 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Yes Bunsen; MUSH, YOU HUSKIES!
    · Reply · Share
  • wis75wis75 14068 replies62 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Teams are still playing nonconference opponents as well. For some teams it was a chance to play top ranked teams while their opposition had another practice. I was shocked at last night's game here in Tampa. Hoped and thought my alma mater Badgers would do well but 49-0, wow. Reading about that game in the local paper showed how expectations of USF were not met. I only spent a minute or so at a time on the game and caught a late first half comment from the UW coach about some dissatisfaction about some playing by his team. btw- when I was a college freshman the juniors told me that when they were freshmen the Badgers won their first game in three years. How times change. We went for the student experience (oh, the band and those marching around the perimeter tubas plus so many asking for "mix", ie Coke, to mix with their illegal hidden liquor).

The pros start with a hundred year old rivalry instead of the Super Bowl champs. 1919 to 2019. Da Bears will host the Pack.
    · Reply · Share
  • ChoatieMomChoatieMom 5248 replies240 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited August 31
    We're hosting the Michigan season kickoff game at our house this afternoon. We've started a Wolverines club here in our community, so this first, low-key (vs. Mid TN State) game will also be our first club meeting. We're serving Coney dogs with all the fixings as well as the usual artery-clogging tailgate fare. Let the games begin!

GO BLUE!

(Next week Michigan plays Army. Our son is hosting a party for that one at his new apartment near Ft. Gordon. We will Facetime our crowd with his during the game. Army is going down!)
    edited August 31
    · Reply · Share
  • wis75wis75 14068 replies62 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited August 31
    Neighbors have hung their usual college football Saturday Michigan and Ohio State flags today- don't know how the household manages it when the two play each other. I don't own one for Wisconsin or the cul de sac would be full of the Midwest Big Ten spirit.
    edited August 31
    · Reply · Share
  • sushirittosushiritto 4001 replies12 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    A week late since Miami and Florida kicked off the season a week ago. Better late than never 🙂 (kidding!)

@BunsenBurner I’m sure you must be referring to the Georgia Bulldogs. 😀

Most of the games have been duds since it’s patsy weekend. Hopefully Auburn-Oregon will be good.

And ND plays a rare Monday night college game for obvious reasons.

I’m excited. I’m going back East on October 26th for the ND-Michigan game. Woohoo!
    · Reply · Share
  • bloomfield88bloomfield88 123 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Just moved to Charleston from Asia. I am agnostic on both Clemson and U of South Carolina (lots of flags here), so I'll quietly watch my family's colleges. However, it is heaven to watch NCAA football again.
    · Reply · Share
  • Rivet2000Rivet2000 1082 replies2 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Stanford stadium is soooo empty since classes don’t start for a few weeks. I texted my son who is staying on campus for his summer internship and suggest he walk over to the stadium. His reply? “No can do dad, I’m writing some interesting code that will serve me well when classes start. I’ll be there in spirit”. There ya go.....
    · Reply · Share
    In was driving by the stadium earlier and was struck by the lack of traffic, but remembered Stanford hasn’t started school yet. Seriously though, it’s still Northwestern not Eastern Ipswich State.
    · Reply · Share
  • bloomfield88bloomfield88 123 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    edited August 31
    Yep, my wife earned her Master's at the Stanford GSB last year and I was surprised at how weak fan participation is. Stanford is excellent overall in sports. Yet, the 7 million people in the Bay Area struggle to populate Stanford Stadium even with a Top 25 team. Basketball is like a morgue. Nerd Nation doesn't appreciate Power 5 Conference sports.
    edited August 31
    · Reply · Share
  • bajammbajamm 1653 replies19 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Anyone watch the ISU vs UNI game? It went 3 OT before ISU pulled off the win. ISU was a 23 point favorite, they may lose their ranking.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 78233 replies690 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    sushiritto wrote: »
    @BunsenBurner I’m sure you must be referring to the Georgia Bulldogs. 😀

As opposed to CSU Fresno?

But then there are many teams with Tigers as the mascot.
    · Reply · Share
    As opposed to CSU Fresno?

I only talk about relevant FCS teams. 😎
    · Reply · Share
  • FallGirlFallGirl 8045 replies27 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    . Army is going down!
    Aww @ChoatieMom I was so close to loving your post till I got to this...
    · Reply · Share
  • esobayesobay 1335 replies19 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Stanford stadium was not as empty as it might have appeared since people were packed in the halls in the shade. That sun was killer!
    · Reply · Share
  • ProfessorPlum168ProfessorPlum168 4066 replies87 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Traffic was more killer when Stanford had their track meet in June than for any football game.

The traffic in Palo Alto is only artificial because of the silly 25 MPH rules they have on most of the streets and all it takes is a few hoity-toity drivers to follow the letter of the law to create many annoyed drivers.
    · Reply · Share
  • privatebankerprivatebanker 5273 replies77 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Boston College vs Virginia Tech was a super entertaining game. I.think it’s really something that they both played a tough and important ACC game to open the season.

BC35-28 final.
    · Reply · Share
  • bajammbajamm 1653 replies19 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited August 31
    There's nothing like the Iowa wave towards the kids in the University of Iowa Children's hospital at the end of the 1st quarter of each home football game.
    Even the refs and visiting team take part.

Here is today's, the first for 2019.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCp9p8hXAz0
    edited August 31
    · Reply · Share
  • momocarlymomocarly 892 replies11 threadsRegistered User Member
    edited August 31
    Worried about S's childhood friend that got hurt in the Stanford game today.

In a better light Go Cats!!
    edited August 31
    · Reply · Share
  • Rivet2000Rivet2000 1082 replies2 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    It was 87 degrees in Palo Alto. Considered hot there. My D laughed as she played a soccer game on Friday when the temp was 105. Visiting Phoenix for a soccer tourney this time of year - not that smart.
    · Reply · Share