right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

Bad plan to fly into/out of SFO this month

jym626jym626 55359 replies2879 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
edited September 11 in Parent Cafe
https://www.sfchronicle.com/business/article/SFO-flights-rerouted-to-nearby-airports-as-14431500.php
More than 2,000 flights have been delayed and canceled since construction started on Saturday, with no predictable pattern of worsening or improving. What started with 253 flights delayed Saturday spiked to 378 delays Sunday, dropped to 313 Monday, and rose again to 343 Tuesday, according to the tracking site FlightAware. More than 100 flights were canceled each day.

So our flight is delayed 3.5 hours and no real option to take an earlier one (there is one flight that leaves a half hour before ours, but no guarantee it will be on time, and no reasonable or equal class seating available). Will face the same issue, with hundreds of cancellations and rerouted flights, at the end of the weekend. They are repairing a major runway most of this month. Wish I’d known when we booked the flights. Could have flown into San Jose or Oakland.

Have had a nice tour of the USO and Delta lounges
edited September 11
109 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Bad plan to fly into/out of SFO this month

• BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 38752 replies467 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    It is a CLUSTER. I just flew out of it earlier this week. Thank goodness for Alaska status... my flight was rerouted to depart from Oakland, and they would have Ubered me to OAK, but instead found a seat on another flight.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 77784 replies678 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Basically, they are repaving runway 28L. Under good daytime weather, the parallel runways 28L and 28R are used for simultaneous landings.

SFO frequently has delays because cloudy, foggy, or rainy weather allows only one of 28L or 28R to be used at a time (they are too close together), even though airline schedules assume good weather all the time. But the closure of 28L means that it is as if SFO is under bad weather all the time.

If you are flying to or from the area, consider OAK or SJC instead. Avoid connecting at SFO because you are more likely to miss your connection. Actually, avoiding SFO is a good idea anyway, because of weather delay risk, but this runway repair situation makes it even more of a good idea.
    · Reply · Share
  • jym626jym626 55359 replies2879 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    When did they decide to schedule this repaving? We booked these tickets in July. Should the airlines (or my KIDS??!!??) have known then?

Well good news- our flight is now only 3 instead of 3.5 hrs delayed. Whoopee.
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 38752 replies467 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited September 11
    Alaska send us a note regarding this paving a couple of weeks ago. The powers at SFO must have known well ahead of that and kept mum. So not to spook flyers? ! Ridiculous.
    edited September 11
    · Reply · Share
    DS sent me a link that said they airlines knew 6 mos ago and responded by reducing flights. Swell
    · Reply · Share
    Judging by what Alaska just sent us, the cluster will continue well into November.
    · Reply · Share
    What did it say?? DS and family are flying to meet us in Tucson then
    · Reply · Share
  • MomofWildChildMomofWildChild 22652 replies191 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I have flights next week into San Jose and out of Oakland- I guess I was lucky!
    · Reply · Share
    Maybe they knew when it was booked!!
    · Reply · Share
  • mom60mom60 7844 replies504 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I’ve been reading about it online for a week or so. My H is flying to Seattle next week and I had him pay extra for the direct flight versus connecting through SFO. @jym626 at least you have a darling granddaughter to look forward to seeing once you get there. Enjoy your visit.
    · Reply · Share
    But now she will be asleep when we arrive :(
    · Reply · Share
    "What did it say?? DS and family are flying to meet us in Tucson then."

Mr. B has flights booked for every week in October-November, and Alaskas sent him updated flight schedules for flights through the first week of November... flights were moved earlier or later by up to an hour. Later Nov fights were not impacted.
    · Reply · Share
  • AboutTheSameAboutTheSame 3099 replies47 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    According to SFO [believe whom you will], this was announced a long time ago, and the fault may lie with the airlines for failing to cancel/change enough flights.
    · Reply · Share
  • sushirittosushiritto 3877 replies11 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited September 11
    Announced 3/20/2019:

https://www.flysfo.com/media/press-releases/sfo-announces-20-day-closure-runway-28l-september-2019-reconstruction

But the planning for a massive project like this had to start a very long time ago.
    edited September 11
    · Reply · Share
  • AnAsmomAnAsmom 76 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    DH was scheduled to fly out to SFO on Delta this evening. When they announced the delay, he and his colleagues were able to rebook to San Jose for an earlier flight.
    The reason they were given for the delay was that there were too many flights in the airspace.
    He has several trips coming up in the next few weeks to the Bay Area so this thread is timely.
    · Reply · Share
  • IgloooIglooo 8142 replies209 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    If they are reopening on Sept 27, why would flights in Oct and Nov be affected?
    · Reply · Share
    What is the likelihood they will finish on schedule!??
    · Reply · Share
    The pilot just announced that only 2 of the 4 runways are in use.
    · Reply · Share
  • IgloooIglooo 8142 replies209 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I am guessing, in this case, better than most since the schedule is tight and they announced well in advance.
    · Reply · Share
    The weather there can interfere. And there are a ton of rules and regulations.
    · Reply · Share