right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

Looks like flavored ESDs will be banned

HImomHImom 34202 replies391 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
edited September 12 in Parent Cafe
Here’s the latest—in light of recent deaths and hospitalizations.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/11/trump-to-consider-e-cigarette-policy-amid-outbreak-of-lung-disease.html
edited September 12
20 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Looks like flavored ESDs will be banned

• HImomHImom 34202 replies391 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Imaging is showing some scary changes in the lungs of young people who have been vaping as well. There was just an interview on the news with a local lung doctor who has been treating several young people who vape with symptoms LIKE pneumonia (constant cough) but it isn’t pneumonia.

The imaging shows very abnormal lungs—both xrays and CT scans of lungs.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 77784 replies678 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    A handful of deaths and a ban.

Gee if only we could apply the same logic to things that kill tens of thousands of us a year.

For comparison, "Cigarette smoking is responsible for more than 480,000 deaths per year in the United States, including more than 41,000 deaths resulting from secondhand smoke exposure", according to https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/fast_facts/index.htm .

Put it another way, 41,000 "homicides" (from secondhand smoke causing others to die) and 439,000 "suicides" (smokers dying) per year in the US.
    · Reply · Share
  • dropbox77177dropbox77177 263 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    A handful of deaths and a ban.

Gee if only we could apply the same logic to things that kill tens of thousands of us a year.

Automobiles reliably result in more than 35,000 deaths and 2.3 million injuries per year even now, and there isn't even a Constitutional amendment recognizing the right to drive.
    · Reply · Share
  • sylvan8798sylvan8798 6647 replies140 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I'm in favor of this even if it seems like we're focused on something that is a relatively small impact (we CAN multitask, here) and even though it seems to be driven by Big Tobacco or some such, rather than genuine health concerns.
    · Reply · Share
  • MomofJandLMomofJandL 1603 replies31 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Autos serve a purpose-they provide needed transportation to school, work, shopping, for millions not served by public transport. Other items killing our citizens do not have a socially useful purpose, that is the difference.

What besides cigarettes kills people without having a socially useful purpose?

I'm on the fence with vaping. It seems less harmful than smoking, but there is so little known about the health effects of the chemicals involved, or even what those chemicals are. As a way to transition away from cigarettes, it seems like a blessing. As an introduction to lifelong nicotine addiction it seems like a curse.
    · Reply · Share
  • roycroftmomroycroftmom 2883 replies37 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Assault rifles, for example
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 38752 replies467 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Human lungs are very delicate organs. They are not designed to deal with anything but normal atmospheric mix of gases which do not solidify or liquefy where humans can exist. The flavorings in vapes are solids and become airborne when heated to very high temperatures. Even if those heated solids do not decompose upon heating, they solidify when they hit the lungs causing damage to the lung lining. This triggers normal inflammatory responses in the lungs, and the damage gets magnified. A puff or two are unlikely to cause permanent damage, but nicotine is a very addictive drug, and kids get hooked on vaping quickly and begin bombarding their lungs with untested, god-knows-what garbage. It is a problem and a big one.
    · Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 22703 replies15 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    As a way to transition away from cigarettes, it seems like a blessing.

Vaping is not a way away from cigarettes. Kids who have never smoked are vaping. It is easier, cheaper, less smelly than cigarettes.

A friend passed along a FB posting about a girl on her way to move into a dorm. Had trouble breathing and her parents went to an Urgent Care. After 10 days in the ICU, she was discharged. No college for her this year.
    · Reply · Share
  • Midwest67Midwest67 2961 replies12 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    My brother was terribly addicted to cigarettes.

He started smoking in his teens and then made several attempts to quit when he turned 50.

He used the patch, and seriously wondered if he could ever get off the patch even. It took a couple years, and maybe four big attempts, but he finally quit for good.

Unfortunately, he had permanently damaged his lungs by then. In his early 60s he went on the lung transplant wait list and was fortunate enough to have a successful transplant operation & recovery.

It’s awful to read about these vaping stories and the extensive lung damage to young people. It must be awful for the families.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 77784 replies678 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    As a way to transition away from cigarettes, it seems like a blessing.

Vaping is not a way away from cigarettes.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/can-vaping-help-you-quit-smoking-2019022716086 mentions a study comparing vaping to other nicotine replacement methods for quitting smoking. It found that 18% using vaping stopped smoking, versus only 10% of those using other nicotine replacement. However, 80% of those vaping were still vaping, while only 9% of the other group were still using nicotine.

In other words:

Those using vaping: 82% still smoking, 14% stopped smoking but still vaping, 4% quit completely.
    Those using other nicotine: 90% still smoking, 1% stopped smoking but still using nicotine, 9% quit completely.
    Kids who have never smoked are vaping. It is easier, cheaper, less smelly than cigarettes.

This attraction of new addicts is the obvious downside to vaping.
    · Reply · Share
  • Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 2054 replies28 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited September 12
    As a parent of two teens, I support this decision. However, I am concerned it will drive more kids to vape THC oil products which are already popular in our area.
    edited September 12
    · Reply · Share
  • GKUnionGKUnion 148 replies5 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Mwfan1921 wrote: »
    As a parent of two teens, I support this decision. However, I am concerned it will drive more kids to vape THC oil products which are already popular in our area.

Much of the concern around lung issues involves the vitamin E acetate present when vaping THC.
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 38752 replies467 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    ^^For now.
    · Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 22703 replies15 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Tonight there was a news story about addicted teens vaping. One said he was inhaling 4 cartridges per day - the equivalent of 4 packs of cigarettes - 80 cigs per day!
    · Reply · Share
  • EmpireappleEmpireapple 1661 replies25 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Vaping has been a rampant problem in the schools where I live. I feel badly for the teachers and administrators because it is so difficult to detect.

Last spring I attended a workshop about E and Vape for work and I was shocked to learn that it isn't safe at all. In fact, the nicotine gets to the lungs much faster than cigarettes. It's more harmful than smoking. I'd like to see E and vape banned completely.
    · Reply · Share