right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

VPN

snowballsnowball 2719 replies245 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
edited September 14 in Parent Cafe
My husband travels for work and good bit and would like to start using a VPN for security. I have looked a good bit online, but hoping for suggestions of a good VPN provider. Hubby is not patient with technology, so wants one that is easy to set up and use. Speed and ease I think would be the most important for him. he has a PC laptop, so that is where he would use the VPN, although if one worked with an iPhone and/or Amazon Fire, that might be a plus!
edited September 14
15 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: VPN

• PacNWparentPacNWparent 234 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    I believe iPhones have a VPN, which can be turned on in the Settings tab.
    · Reply · Share
  • stradmomstradmom 5031 replies50 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    DH likes NordVPN.
    · Reply · Share
  • ProfessorPlum168ProfessorPlum168 4066 replies87 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I use NordVPN, it is easily the best. Pricing is good, and it’s so easy to use.
    · Reply · Share
  • snowballsnowball 2719 replies245 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I was looking at NordVPN or ExpressVPN. I typically over research choices like this, so drive myself crazy with one bad issue! With Nord, most reviews mentioned possible connections issues; wondering if this would be an issue, especially in a poor wifi area. One of the hospitals my husbands work has haphazard wifi. The same hospital is located in a rural area; will that affect connections?

· Reply · Share
  • ProfessorPlum168ProfessorPlum168 4066 replies87 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I would think that if there are connection issues, no VPN would work well.
    · Reply · Share
  • SybyllaSybylla 3817 replies48 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I like express because BBC iplayer seems to play nice with it. Not the cheapest though.
    · Reply · Share
  • roethlisburgerroethlisburger 2807 replies154 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    If he's doing this for work, he should use whatever corporate IT/security tells him to use.
    · Reply · Share
  • CIEE83CIEE83 700 replies9 threadsRegistered User Member
    Another option for more secure internet when traveling is to get a portable router. There are tiny ones that you can plug into a hotel ethernet port — the ethernet connection is typically free, and the router gives you free high-speed internet on a private network. You can configure the router with your home settings so that devices connect seamlessly and automatically.
    · Reply · Share
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 12871 replies242 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Adding to the above, a wifi hotspot from your phone is better than public WiFi.
    · Reply · Share
  • mikemacmikemac 10333 replies150 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I use Private Internet Access. If you use a VPN company then go with a paid plan, the "free" ones are selling info from watching all your traffic go thru them.
    · Reply · Share
    While traveling for work, what he is doing online is not work. The thought was to use a VPN so he could safely use online banking and other personal information. He has used a secure browser, but thought a VPN would be better.
    · Reply · Share
  • SybyllaSybylla 3817 replies48 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Will his work puter allow a VPN downloaded on it? Or is it a private puter?
    · Reply · Share
    Yes, this is a personal computer.
    · Reply · Share
  • shawbridgeshawbridge 5709 replies53 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I use expressVPN. Faster and more flexible. Works on my computer, iPhone and iPad. Was one of the few that worked in China.
    · Reply · Share
  • RMerdenRMerden 3 replies0 threadsRegistered User New Member
    I'm using Surfshark, I'm not that tech savvy myself so I'm happy that it's easy to use, also it has unlimited log ins, so your whole family can use it. I researched and found that it works on Amazon Fire too: https://surfshark.com/download/amazon-fire-tv
    · Reply · Share