right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Homeless despite Yale degree; mental illness? drug addiction? choice?

13»

Replies to: Homeless despite Yale degree; mental illness? drug addiction? choice?

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus 78557 replies695 threads Senior Member
    TatinG wrote: »
    Police just arrested a man on four outstanding warrants who had been burning a campfire in the hills near my neighborhood. This is an extreme, present danger to the lives and property of thousands. I don't care if he is addicted or mentally ill. There is no excuse. The rest of us have rights too.

In other words, they chose to arrest based on actual hazard posed to others (i.e. perhaps he was worth the jail space/cost more so than any homeless people who are merely unsightly).
    · Reply · Share
  • TatinGTatinG 6470 replies114 threads Senior Member
    Those who don't live in California perhaps don't understand what comes with people living on the streets.
    They block sidewalks with trash, needles and human
    waste so that it is unsafe to walk. And forget about using public parks or bike paths. A neighbor recently needed to change her baby in a library restroom and the baby accidentally touched foil containing drugs and had to be rushed to the ER.
    Untreated sewage is in the streets and goes untreated to the ocean.
    Theft is increasing from stores, cars and homes.
    Those crazed out on drugs attack people verbally and throw things and hit motorists.
    Downtown there are so many rats in the garbage that typhus is spreading. Police have contracted typhoid fever in areas with large encampments.
    And we are just one windy day away from another wildfire from illegal campfires.
    This is the number 1 issue in my area . People are angry at the city and state so called leaders.
    Unsightly is not the issue.
    · Reply · Share
  • dropbox77177dropbox77177 266 replies0 threads Junior Member
    edited September 20
    ^ That's why people move to Marin, where they can bask in the glow of their virtuous concern for the downtrodden in style and comfort!
    edited September 20
    · Reply · Share
  • TatinGTatinG 6470 replies114 threads Senior Member
    The problems is drugs. Like the man in the OP's original story. He was educated, had a good job, had a home and then started using meth and lost it all. He could move in with his father or live in a shelter which someone who is just without a home would do. The people on the street are (in the main) drug addicts. Drugs are a scourge and a more severe crackdown on their use and distribution is needed.

· Reply · Share
  • milee30milee30 2123 replies13 threads Senior Member
    I would say that mental illness is probably more of an issue than drug addiction. Many mentally ill people use drugs to self-medicate.

This was the case for my client that provided mental health services for a major metro area. At one point they calculated that there was a 75 - 80% overlap, meaning of their SMI clients, 75 - 80% also had substance abuse issues.
    · Reply · Share
  • onthewestfenceonthewestfence 245 replies7 threads Junior Member
    Follow up article shows that networking at this elite pays off. Contacts made are invaluable.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/08/us/homeless-yale-grad/index.html
    · Reply · Share
  • Nrdsb4Nrdsb4 17017 replies159 threads Senior Member
    edited November 9
    Follow up article shows that networking at this elite pays off. Contacts made are invaluable.

That's true for even non elite schools. A lot of big publics have great networking systems that pay off big for alums.

I hope Mr. Pleasants can overcome his addiction problems. I don't see how he can achieve his goals without doing that. But he does seem to have an inner strength. I'm crossing my fingers for him.

edited November 9
    · Reply · Share