right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Photos and how to condense?

conmamaconmama 4266 replies315 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
I love photos, and look at all of mine regularly. I have almost 50 regular albums. I just don’t have room anymore. I have them all nicely organized on my PC, but that’s not how I like to look at them. I fill up one album each year with around 300 gave or take per year.

Of course, it’s not too expensive. Probably $50 for the whole year if I get photos cheap.

I’m thinking of doing photo books instead. It seems they would take up much less space. I don’t want to be creative. Just download 4x6 sizes and have it assembled that way. Does anyone do that?
15 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Photos and how to condense?

• thumper1thumper1 74816 replies3279 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I honestly like the photo books from CVS. You can take your phone with you and plug in...and select the pictures you want included. Prices are a bargain.

I’m thinking you probably can do this from home, but I’ve never tried that.
    · Reply · Share
  • college_querycollege_query 4314 replies321 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I have created Shutterfly books - they're also having a sale right now.
    · Reply · Share
  • abasketabasket 19360 replies860 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    There was some ad on Instagram the other day about this type of photo book - no hassle, just upload your pics into some prescribed format. Can't remember what it was called!

Don't some of them give you the option to do a format that is site determined? Not "designed" by you??
    · Reply · Share
  • conmamaconmama 4266 replies315 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I’m sure they do. I was looking at Shutterfly but didn’t get far. I need to research more. Since there are so many pics, I’d love to be able to upload throughout the year and it just be saved until I’m ready to print. I know Walgreens does that, perhaps I’ll check out their books and CVS. It’s too late for 2019, but I’d like to start in 2020. It’s beginning to get ridiculous all my albums. Taking up way to much space.

I could put them in the basement, we have shelving, but I love getting them out of the bedrooms and lay in the bed looking at them on a moments whim.
    · Reply · Share
  • mom2andmom2and 2873 replies19 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited September 18
    I have both photo albums and photo books using digital photos. However, I also have a ridiculous number of actual photo prints in many photo boxes, not that well organized. Some of these are from the days that the photo printer gave you two copies for the same price.

I have created a number of photo books,. You can upload a group of photos fairly quickly to one of the photobook sites. I then spend a lot of time choosing the actual photos for the book and designing the layout. I have them for several of our "big" vacations, but am a bit behind on the annual books. The books are great, but the number of photos is fairly limited.

On my project list is organizing and scanning old photos. But also printing my favorite digital photos as I worry about losing them, even though I have a hard drive back up and the newer ones are online. Has anyone used a service to digitize old photos?

edited September 18
    · Reply · Share
  • ClassicMom98ClassicMom98 142 replies1 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    I think I have as many photos as you! I finally boxed them all up (in several rubbermaid bins) and put them in a closet, as they were taking up too much space. The last few years, I have been doing shutterfly books of our bigger trips and one for each kid (age 0-18), but I was "creative." I am not a creative person AT ALL, but I spent a lot of time putting them together with captions and blurbs and whatnot. Shutterfly makes it very easy, but it does take a lot of time this way. But, I know there is a button where it will autofill all of the pages for you, and I believe they have a service where they will custom create them for you.

I also have two digital 5x7 picture frames. One is at work and one is at home in the den. It's super easy to load batches of pictures onto the flash drive that is plugged into the wall. It's easy to add, delete, etc. I have thousands of photos on there. And it's so nice to randomly glance and see them cycle through. It helps with my empty nest syndrome when I lament about how much more I wished I had done with them. I can see just how much we DID do, and it makes me smile.
    · Reply · Share
  • abasketabasket 19360 replies860 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    One thing you may find is that you will want to (or have to) chose to do more than one book for the year depending on the # of photos you have. I feel like photo books tend to have standard # of pages and that it might (?) get expensive to add in lots of additional pages.
    · Reply · Share
  • 3puppies3puppies 1740 replies12 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    When MIL was in the nursing home, my SIL had taken the time to bring several of her photo books in for her. On her "good days", she would look through some of them with her grandchildren - my D noticed that her Parkinson's tremors / shaking would be measurably reduced once she had the photo book in front of her to flip through. Since the tremors often affected her jaw/neck, her speech was often hard to understand. The photos somehow calmed her, and brought real smiles out - often when D asked her "Gramma, how did you let your kids out of the house wearing THAT!". These were very special memories for MIL to share. After she passed, we didn't look at inheriting her albums as a burden, but if we hadn't experienced looking at them with her, it honestly could have become difficult.

We have lots of albums and while they do take up a lot of space, I make a point to look through frequently - usually on a snowy day when I am watching a big pot of soup simmering, I will flip through them. I like to look at real photos more than digitals.

I found it easier to condense albums because there were several times when there were 2-3 of a very similar shot - especially as getting the pups to sit together - and at the time they were developed, we didn't have time to sort them that carefully, we just barely got them into an album. Plus, every year I took multiple pictures outside the house - of my flower gardens, etc. While I really enjoy looking at some of these in the winter, I accepted that I did not realistically need to keep them all. So I sorted some out and got 38 albums down to 21.

It is pretty easy to get additional insert pages and extenders. If you enjoy your albums, by all means keep them. I like the fact that a 5-photos per page album makes it easier to include notes/labels etc. - it is easier to forget the names of the kids' friends that they lost touch with without them. This is harder to do with a photobook.
    · Reply · Share
  • MarilynMarilyn 3709 replies124 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited September 18
    I’ve made several photo books, including Shutterfly. You can just upload your pictures and let them put everything into one of their formats. After that you can add, delete, and rearrange as you like. I enjoy the creative aspects so design each page myself. You can “store” your photos throughout the year before assembling your book.

I used one of their “free” offers (had to pay shipping) to put together a small book of DS’s college years. I did another with pictures from our first year in San Diego. I have tons of scrapbook and actual photo albums from over 30 years and do occasional like hard copies.

Several years back I made a calendar for my mother, all with family pictures. I set it up so the grandkids started as babies then grew up. I also put Thanksgiving pictures on the November page, Chanukah in December, and Passover in the spring. My mom liked it so much that every year she just printed out new date pages and attached them over to original ones.
    edited September 18
    · Reply · Share
  • colorado_momcolorado_mom 8971 replies79 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    DH uses Blurb to do vacation photo books. He waits til there are 40% off coupons to print. v
    · Reply · Share
  • arisamparisamp 1291 replies62 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I use shutterfly to make our books these days. Have floor to ceiling bookshelves filled with albums, all marked with the years. Friends joke that I can usually put my hand on a picture taken fifteen years ago in just a couple of minutes.

Books are easier than albums now. But it does take time. We take thousands of pictures each year and then you have pictures on everyone's phones. Collating them, looking through them, picking out the ones we want and then arranging them into a book does take significant time. My after-work job! I do separate books for vacations. Love the books - we can spend many an afternoon looking at old books and reliving vacations!
    · Reply · Share
    @arisamp , can you do just small bits of time on Shutterfly? I’d like to upload, edit and save them each month or so. Then when irs time to print, I’d have them in chronological order.
    · Reply · Share
  • MarilynMarilyn 3709 replies124 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Shutterfly offers free unlimited storage. They still have photos of mine going back to 2016.
    · Reply · Share
  • arisamparisamp 1291 replies62 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @conmama - yes, you can definitely do this in small bits on shutterfly. I go through each month, each trip or occasion and upload the needed pictures to shutterfly. Start a book, add pictures to the book and keep adding/working on it till I am happy. And after I am done, I don't order the book right away. I wait until I get one of their "good" coupons before I order. Considering that my book is usually over their 20 page default size, I wait for the "unlimited free pages" coupon - that turns out to be the best deal for me.
    · Reply · Share
    @arisamp ...that is great news. It’s exactly what I want to do starting in 2020! Thanks!
    · Reply · Share