right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Office Holiday Gifts

daylily1daylily1 35 replies1 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
In our small department, we get each other a gift. In the past it has been things like a makeup bag, fancy soap, mug, shawl, scarf etc. This past year we've added 4 people to our department who work offsite. They come in to the main office for meetings twice a week, so I don't know them well. Two of them are men. I'm trying to start my shopping early and don't know what to get, especially since we have guys now. Any suggestions?
7 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Office Holiday Gifts

• doschicosdoschicos 21123 replies219 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Are these new people aware of this office tradition?

I'd stick to consumables of some type.
    · Reply · Share
  • bookwormbookworm 8908 replies72 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I’m not sure this suggestion will work for you, but here goes. In my office we use to give each other presents, but then we shifted to drawing a name. That gift was much nicer. If you don’t know the 2 employees well, do a little sleuthing. Chocolates? Movie tickets? Wine?

· Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 74793 replies3278 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I agree...go for consumables. Some nice chocolates or something like that.
    · Reply · Share
  • dmvmomx2dmvmomx2 34 replies1 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    We have 25+ folks in our department, so small gifts for everyone can be a bit pricey. Instead we have a Yankee swap. The gifts end up being nicer than what you could buy for everyone. We opt for Yankee swap instead of Secret Santa because there's no chance that someone gets no gift who brought a gift.

The only exceptions to the "everybody gets a gift" are the supervisors that give GCs to the staff in their departments and a few folks who like to give out handmade stuff (soaps, peppermint bark, etc.)

We also have Cookie Day where everyone brings in a baked item (could be handmade or purchased) or related drinks (cocoa, coffee, milk, etc.). We usually end up grazing all week and it's fun for those who do not observe Christmas.
    · Reply · Share
  • 1214mom1214mom 4549 replies180 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Lottery tickets are fun.
    · Reply · Share
  • mathmommathmom 32377 replies159 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I would hate to get lottery tickets. But mostly I'm with @abasket and dropping the gift tradition all together. When I was in Germany the different companies gave each other gifts. Our office filled up with stollens, and wine and chocolate from the engineers and various clients and then our bosses doled them out to us. It was great! (Unless you were a boss!)
    · Reply · Share