right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Taking my 14 yr old dog to beach for first time. Tell me your dog beach stories

powercropperpowercropper 1664 replies71 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
We are taking our old jack russell mix to the beach, a little bit nervous and a bit curious how it will turn out. He has slowed down (14 yrs old) but still has spurts of energy chasing a ball or tugging with a toy every day. Loves to walk and meet both people and dogs. Our beach allows dogs after Labor Day.

Would love to hear your stories of dogs on the beach.
17 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Taking my 14 yr old dog to beach for first time. Tell me your dog beach stories

• makemesmartmakemesmart 1479 replies14 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    We took our two year old cavachon to the beach, she enjoyed the beach walk, but not the water, at all. Lol. She would lie down under the tent facing the ocean if we sit near her, if we sit near the wave, she would facing away from the ocean. Poor baby, we still had tons of fun, and will take her to beach again next summer.
    Hope you and your doggie have a good time on the beach.
    · Reply · Share
  • HouseChatteHouseChatte 691 replies1 threadsRegistered User Member
    Years ago we took our Bernese Mountain Dog to a beach rental with us. People renting the house next door had a hunting dog, don't remember what kind, but definitely water retriever flavor. When they played on the beach together, the neighbor's retriever went after the tidal pools, and our girl climbed the tiny little rises of sand -- a tribute to her breed. It was adorable.
    · Reply · Share
  • Sue22Sue22 6212 replies112 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    My golden retriever loved the beach the first time he went but unfortunately he didn't understand the concept of salt water and kept trying to drink it. The salt water made him thirsty leading him to drink more salt water, making him thirsty...

So my only advice is to make sure you bring a water bottle and bowl to the beach and more for when you get back to the car.
    · Reply · Share
  • abasketabasket 19308 replies858 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    We have a cottage on a Great Lake so our dog has enjoyed the beach every spring/summer/fall.

He is a corgi beagle, about 24 pounds at best. He's a sniffer so roaming on the beach is heaven. He is also older (nearly 13) and just a really chill dog so he's always been pretty reserved. If the water is calm he will wade through the water as we walk or go out just a bit in the water to get a stick - honestly, the water is not his favorite I don't think! But I see plenty of dogs just jump in the water with ALL the gusto!

My recommendation is if you don't have to leash your dog make sure you at least HAVE a leash to put on quickly if needed. Again, our beach is really quiet and unpopulated so we don't encounter more than a couple people if any on our beach walks. But in fairness to people and/or other dogs I make sure the leash is on if others are around.
    · Reply · Share
  • TheGreyKingTheGreyKing 2151 replies101 threadsForum Champion Williams College Forum Champion
    edited September 21
    Our dog loves the beach. He loves running free, sniffing everything— especially the seaweed and shells along the high tide line, urinating on every dead horseshoe crab, cooling off by running into the water (he only swims when he gets into deep water by accident; he just likes to run in and out of the water), happily greeting anyone who walks past (unless they look wary as he approaches, in which case we call him and he comes running back to us), running at full speed to chase the balls my spouse throws for him, etc. But his favorite part is chasing after the birds. He always thinks he’ll be able to catch a seagull or a heron or a swan, but they are much too fast for him!

The beach is great because he can run super fast, which is good for his health, and then he can go into the water to cool off when he gets too hot.

We live within short walking distance of a beach on a sound, so we go to it during all four seasons. Last week, we took him to an ocean beach on the south shore of the island, which is on the open ocean and thus has much bigger waves than the little lapping waves of our sheltered north shore beach at home. He was a little cautious about the big waves and didn’t go in over his leg height... until we came to an inlet, where the water was calmer with smaller waves, and then he was more comfortable wading in up to his chest.

He has learned the word “beach.” If he is in the other room and my spouse asks me if I want to go the beach, he’ll hear the word and come running!

Our former dog used to love going to the beach, too.

The beach is a great place for a dog!

Enjoy your visit. Your older dog may be cautious, and that’s okay. I think dogs seem to know what they can and cannot do. My former dog never swam, even if you called him in. His toes did not seem to have webbing, so he may have known he couldn’t swim; I don’t know. Still, your dog will be sure to love the new and strong smells of the beach!
    edited September 21
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 34060 replies376 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    We had a beagle corgi and what a great (if nutso) dog. She wouldn't go near open water.

Hate to say this, but the web is full of warnings now about dogs and water they get sick from (bacteria or other toxins?) and the dangers of salt water.

I don't know what decision I'd make. Last time we had the current pooch in a bay, we kept her on the leash.
    · Reply · Share
  • washugradwashugrad 1130 replies13 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    We have a labradoodle. Labs love the water, poodles hate it, and our dog inherited the poodle side of that. We have a pool and have taken her in it and she'll swim across and right out and stay away from anyone trying to coax her back in. The nearest dog beach to us is about half an hour away by car so we don't go often. She loves running around on the sand and sniffing the seaweed and meeting the other dogs but of course doesn't go into the water. Although one day when she was still pretty young it was quite funny... she was playing with another dog and the other dog chased its ball into the bay and my dog chased the other dog until she realized she was all wet. Then she just kind of looked at all of us like, 'what the heck?'
    · Reply · Share
  • greenwitchgreenwitch 8745 replies41 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    We took our little 7-year-old rescue dog to Dog Beach in San Diego last spring. It is quite a broad area, with many dogs, but with more secluded spots too. I took off his leash and harness and he was a bit confused for a bit but then began running and jumping for joy! He loved it! Wasn't really interested in the water but it was too cold for me so that was fine.

There were dogs running full speed in the shallowest water, dogs fetching frisbees out in the waves, dogs just running around, etc. My D3's dog, who is quite fearful, was happier in the less crowded places and happily ran in circles.

I will never forget our little dog jumping for joy in the sand.
    · Reply · Share
  • Conformist1688Conformist1688 1126 replies25 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    When we took one of my brother's Bernese to the beach for the first time she approached the waves, gazed at them in horror, and backed away slowly, then faster, then turned round and made a run for it. She was scared by the moving water. She was fine in rivers and streams.

Our sheltie wasn't sacred, but barked at the waves to make them stop ;)

@washugrad - I thought poodles were supposed to be water dogs?
    · Reply · Share
  • tx5athometx5athome 3878 replies5 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    My current lab LOVES Dog Beach. He doesn't really swim, but loves to go in the water and wade. He is afraid of a lot of things, but not the waves. When he was younger, no matter what ball or toy I brought, he would steal some other dogs toy and it would take me forever to get it back. My previous lab used to like to body surf. He would swim out, take the wave in, swim out, take the wave in.... My current dog is smart enough not to drink the water. My previous lab would drink the salty water and then get diarrhea. So he didn't get to go as often.
    · Reply · Share
  • MomofadultMomofadult 1095 replies28 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    We used to walk our toy poodle on our local Lake Michigan beach regularly. The first time, he was probably 2. He tried to chase the tide - he would follow it out, then get caught as it returned. He didn't like that. Eventually he learned to walk on the sand away from the water's edge. His choice!
    · Reply · Share
  • momsquadmomsquad 1099 replies64 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    We brought our golden to the dog beaches in California for years but she would only go in up to her chest. When she was 10 we rented an AirBnb in Ocean Beach to visit the dog beach every day. One day we walked along the inlet, where the water is calm and slow moving. Someone threw a floating bumper toy for their dog and our old girl shocked us by swimming out to retrieve it! All those years we thought she didn’t want to swim, but she just didn’t want to swim in waves.

· Reply · Share
  • Conformist1688Conformist1688 1126 replies25 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Glad he enjoyed it!
    · Reply · Share
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn 38380 replies2103 threadsSuper Moderator Super Moderator
    We take our dogs to beaches on lakes.

When our older Aussie was a puppy, he followed D as she ran down a pier. She jumped off the pier and he just kept running, right off the end! He looked like Wile E. Coyote when he was mid-air and couldn't figure out what was happening - his legs were windmilling like crazy. He ended up loving the water.

Now it's fun because both our Aussies are so loyal they will follow us out as far as we go. It's a nice change from our collie, who really hated the water and wouldn't go in at all.
    · Reply · Share
  • eyemamomeyemamom 5428 replies79 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I have 2 Berners and my house has a beach, but not on the ocean. Both dogs love running on the beach and digging to China and then rolling wet in the sand. One dog keeps 4 of the floor in the water the other happily paddles all around to the point I get nervous of him swimming past the pier and into the current. The swimmer now prefers the pool, 5 to 6 times a day for a soak and lays on the steps for hours. I put up an umbrella so he could stay in the shade. Lol Bring an umbrella and have somewhere to bath to get the sand out should he decide to roll around.
    · Reply · Share