right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

PG&E Blackouts in Nor Cal

jym626jym626 55816 replies2906 threads Senior Member
edited October 10 in Parent Cafe
So they are supposedly beginning to turn power back on. Cal and several other schools had to cancel classes today. Who else was affected? My S’s in-laws were expecting their home and office to be (haven heard an update yet....). Is everyone OK?
edited October 10
203 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: PG&E Blackouts in Nor Cal

• BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 39055 replies469 threads Senior Member
    edited October 10
    Mr. says they never lost power. Apparently, San Francisco county is the only one unaffected. His SFO-SEA flight is on the runway... waiting in line.

No wonder FAA*G are looking elsewhere. CA is nice, but if this keeps hitting the fan...
    edited October 10
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 34452 replies392 threads Senior Member
    So far, have heard back from 2 of the 3 people I contacted this morning in the Bay Area and they were OK. I am still waiting to hear back from the 3rd.

I’m grateful I heard from my SF doctor before all of this started so we could figure out how to handle a medical issue that came up late last month.

It sounds rather chaotic from the news I’ve read, especially since folks can’t plan how long the outages will last. I’d imagine that creates a lot of anxiety for folks with medical devices which require electrical power.
    · Reply · Share
  • bajammbajamm 1660 replies19 threads Senior Member
    It affected us here in Kern County, not as bad as first announced. A couple of high schools had late starts today.
    · Reply · Share
    Wow—275 fires started in 24 hour period sounds exhausting for fire fighters!
    · Reply · Share
    I’ve heard so far mostly coastal communities have been affected AND gas prices are now >$4/gallon!
    · Reply · Share
  • sushirittosushiritto 4137 replies12 threads Senior Member
    edited October 11
    Unaffected. I’m in the general vicinity of Stanford.
    edited October 11
    Post edited by MaineLonghorn on
    · Reply · Share
  • ProfessorPlum168ProfessorPlum168 4149 replies89 threads Senior Member
    A lot of the East Bay was affected, as was including parts of Berkeley. I’m not sure if the campus itself lost power even though classes were/are cancelled Wednesday thru Friday. My kid’s dorm never lost power.

He is slightly screwed schedule wise as he was scheduled to have midterms on Wednesday and Thursday that will now be piled onto next week in addition to projects that were also due. I just hope against hope that he doesn’t waste this extra time and that he uses the time wisely.
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 75215 replies3300 threads Senior Member
    Friend from Napa is without power. He says this isn’t the first time the utility company has pulled the plug on them. They have a generator.
    · Reply · Share
  • artloversplusartloversplus 8592 replies250 threads Senior Member
    There were so many discussions on Nextdoor that overwhelmed other subjects. We are lucky, did not get the blackout, even though we were included in the plan. Our bathtubs are still filled with water and all camping gears are jammed in the kitchen.
    · Reply · Share
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse 29597 replies58 threads Senior Member
    I just got back from ten days there. Some of the areas up in the Sierra Nevada affected that I visited. Dangerous even traffic lights go out up there and water use can be affected as well when electric pumps involved. The lodge where I stayed was out of power.

I saw the areas up near and in Paradise that were scorched and destroyed by fires. A number of homeless encampments made up of those still who have not been able to find permanent shelter.

It is so dry there and so many trees. With winds, only a spark is needed. Dangerous situation
    · Reply · Share
  • bajammbajamm 1660 replies19 threads Senior Member
    Both H and D are carriers for a genetic disease that renders many people quite fragile and in need of oxygen 24/7. We are a part of a local support group for this issue and many are wondering how they will make it if they can not plug in their oxygen.

The power companies say they have to turn off the power in order to save lives. On the flip side of that some lives are put into jeopardy because the people can not use their oxygen machines, cpap machines, or refrigerate necessary medications.

It is a no win situation for many.
    · Reply · Share
  • dietz199dietz199 3629 replies73 threads Senior Member
    We are affected. Power has been out for 36 hours with an estimated fix another 15 hours away.

But all this did protect us from the danger of hurricane force 4 mph winds experienced for about 5 minutes.
    · Reply · Share
  • bluebayoubluebayou 26887 replies175 threads Senior Member
    edited October 11
    gas prices have been over $4 for weeks/months, HiMom. That has nothing to do with the blackouts.

Professor: Cal dorms and labs were running on emergency power backups. As some of the campus goes up into thar hills, PG&E cut all of its power. Big risk to research labs if one of the backup generators fails.
    edited October 11
    · Reply · Share
  • ProfessorPlum168ProfessorPlum168 4149 replies89 threads Senior Member
    I’m really surprised more people haven’t come in to this thread that got affected. (Possibly have no internet). This is affecting between 10-20% of the entire population in the Northern California area in one way or another. I myself haven’t been affected at home, but all it takes is to drive 10 minutes, maybe even less, to an area that has been affected. To not have any power for up to 7 days just is very Third World-ish and if this event doesn’t wake up the solar industry (been in the doldrums for the past 3 years) nothing will.
    · Reply · Share
    Mr. says many of his coworkers who live far from SF are worried that they would not be able to get to work - EVs.
    · Reply · Share
  • mom60mom60 7922 replies507 threads Senior Member
    My D lives in Solano county. She has had power but a lot of her city does not. She is right on the border of the blackout area. On Wednesday the traffic lights were out when she headed to work. Her gym had no power. She said she has had some high winds. She works in another city in Solano and her job had power. Her H works in Davis and they had power. She rides at a couple of barns in another area. No power but one of them has a generator to pump water. The other does not and she wasn’t sure what they were doing for water. Her in-laws live in El Dorado county and they have had no power.
    I’ve tried to stress to her the importance of being prepared. She has ADHD and is pretty disorganized in her personal life. I keep reminding her to keep a decent amount of gas in her tank.
    · Reply · Share
  • nordicdadnordicdad 139 replies0 threads Junior Member
    I live near Stanford, but I lost power Wednesday night. It was restored after only 17 hours. I also have a house in the Sierras, and we lost power Wednesday morning, and the current estimated recovery is not until Sunday night.
    · Reply · Share
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse 29597 replies58 threads Senior Member
    I am sorry for those who are dangerously affected. I’m concerned about traffic lights in the area.

We have a generator—not whole house but it keeps the fridge, freezer, Internet, computers, Tv, some lighting going.
    · Reply · Share