right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

What decorative pillows do you have on your bed?

conmamaconmama 4352 replies320 threads Senior Member
edited October 11 in Parent Cafe
We have a king. We used to have 2 king shams, 1 euro, and 3 smaller pillows. We swore next time we got a new bed we were stopping with the pillows. What a pain to take off, then make it up.

Well, we just bought a new bed. Headboard is quite decoative, padded and tufted. Never had one before. All the pictures I see have beautiful deco pillows and I’m leaning that way yet again!

Just wondering what you all do? At first I thought 3 euro style for the back ones, but I don’t want to cover up my pretty headboard. Maybe just smaller ones.
edited October 11
45 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: What decorative pillows do you have on your bed?

• HarrietMWelschHarrietMWelsch 2530 replies31 threads Senior Member
    Given that life in our house involves a constant battle to keep the cats off the bed, adding decorative pillows would give too much advantage to the other side. :smile: We do have two pillows each that we sleep on/with, and one firmer one each that is more about sitting up and reading.

I like the look of decorative pillows, though.
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 7623 replies61 threads Senior Member
    I have too many! We have a 4 poster pencil bed so the headboard is just wood. We have 8 decorative pillows. Five large, three small. Pain to make up daily but does look very inviting.
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 21426 replies224 threads Senior Member
    edited October 11
    No decorative pillows. Used to do that but gave it up around a decade ago. As I've aged, I prefer a cleaner, more minimalistic look.

We each have 2 functional pillows, though - one standard sized and one king sized each.
    edited October 11
    · Reply · Share
  • 4kids4us4kids4us 692 replies4 threads Member
    King size 4 post bed -we each have two king size down pillows we use for sleeping, one with pillowcase and the other a decorative sham, then two standard size pillows with decorative sham, then a square decorative pillow that goes in the middle of bed. We also have two small neckroll down pillows that I use when I read in bed. I don’t currently have them on the bed because I bought new bedding and they don’t match so need to buy new covers for them.

When we go to bed, we don’t have a bunch of small pillows to move. Just the square pillow. We both just move the pillow with pillowcase to the front for sleeping but keep the other two behind it against the headboard. When making the bed, I just move the sleeping pillow to the back, fluff them and put the square pillow back in middle. Not time consuming for me. Walking around the large bed to get to the other side is the pain, not the pillows! 😬
    · Reply · Share
  • toledotoledo 4805 replies290 threads Senior Member
    We have a queen 4 poster pencil bed with 2 decorative shams and 2 smaller pillows. I'm sure my husband hates the extra pillows, but I think they look nice.
    · Reply · Share
  • MAmom111MAmom111 172 replies11 threads Junior Member
    We have a king metal headboard. We each have 2 king pillows, 1 of each is in a sham. Then we have 2 square decorative pillows and one small rectangular pillow. It does look nice made up but often times the dog is on it so it never gets made and the decorative pillows just become a tripping hazard on the floor. My husband hates them.
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 75228 replies3300 threads Senior Member
    No decorative pillows.
    · Reply · Share
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse 29603 replies58 threads Senior Member
    Lots of them as we are putting house on market. Really makes a difference how the beds look with the right decorative pillows
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 7623 replies61 threads Senior Member
    My H fought me tooth and nail about putting an antique cedar chest at the foot of the bed but now that's where the decorative pillows go when we are sleeping so it's super easy to make up the bed. He loves that chest now!
    · Reply · Share
  • FlyMeToTheMoonFlyMeToTheMoon 3027 replies45 threads Senior Member
    I think a bed looks nice with decorative pillows, but it is a pain to remove at night/replace in the morning. And who really sees it? Unless you are staging your home for resale, as someone mentioned upthread, is there a point? I’m all for making life simple.

When we redecorate the master, those pillows are going.
    · Reply · Share
  • HouseChatteHouseChatte 757 replies1 threads Member
    edited October 11
    We have a storage headboard that's angled rather than vertical. I love the look of decorative pillows but am too lazy to add a step at the beginning and end of the day. We do have a gorgeous loveseat at the foot of our bed that I'd love to add decorative pillows to. There is already a starter pillow. Friends are on the way.

ETA: we add "to" things, NOT "too" them!!!
    edited October 11
    · Reply · Share
  • mathmommathmom 32459 replies159 threads Senior Member
    We have three pillows on a queen size bed. Our bedroom doesn't have any place but the floor to put decorative pillows. I don't like making beds so the simpler the better for me.
    · Reply · Share
  • Nrdsb4Nrdsb4 17024 replies159 threads Senior Member
    edited October 11
    Okay, all you decorative pillow people need to watch this classic scene from Along Came Polly with Ben Stiller and Jennifer Aniston.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMVWECam8EA

That said, I do have them. Two king shams and two smaller decorative pillows. We have a long upholstered bench at the foot of our bed where we put them when we go to bed. I should say where *I* put them. DH thinks they are stupid, so I had to agree to deal with them if we were going to have any. It's not that big of a deal to manage, in spite of the movie scene above.
    edited October 11
    · Reply · Share
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn 38776 replies2127 threads Super Moderator
    Two king shams at our house. A bunch of decorative pillows at our cabin - they came with the comforter so I just use all of them. I wouldn't want that many at our house, because it would be too much of a pain to place them precisely every morning.
    · Reply · Share
  • dragonmomdragonmom 5917 replies154 threads Senior Member
    I’m tapering off the purely decorative pillows. We are down to one, and two king shams that I spread over the pile of pillows that we sleep with. That’s on the days that I actually put the comforter back on the bed in the morning, as opposed to the days when I just straighten and tuck in the rest of the covers. And I’m planning to redecorate soon and go with the all-white luxury hotel look.
    · Reply · Share
  • college_querycollege_query 4333 replies323 threads Senior Member
    When S was going to college, I wanted to get the decorative pillow that went with his comforter. He said no. I resisted (but it would have looked really nice!)

We have 2 decorative pillows that typically reside on a chest at the foot of the bed, unless someone is coming over who will see our bedroom, then we actually place them on the bed.
    · Reply · Share
  • Bromfield2Bromfield2 3589 replies35 threads Senior Member
    I'm all about making the bed in the easiest way possible. I have a coverlet and two large Euro shams (they match). Plus, we each have two regular pillows. I have a long bench at the end of the bed where I keep the shams when we're not using them.
    · Reply · Share