right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

How far over the speed limit do you drive?

frazzled1frazzled1 5549 replies245 threads Senior Member
Also, how fast do you expect to drive - in other words, when do you get ticked off at the driver ahead of you?

When he taught me to drive, my dad instructed me always to drive at least 5 miles over the speed limit. He said I’d never get a ticket for exceeding the speed limit by 5 miles; more important to Dad, everyone else expected to drive that fast, and I’d annoy other drivers if I did the speed limit.

I adopted Dad’s 5-mile rule (within reason), and have never gotten a ticket or even been pulled over. But! Very few people seem to drive slower than I do. I periodically discover a large pickup or SUV right on my tail, with an angry-faced driver I can see pretty well, since he’s tailgating me. I rarely find myself creeping up on the driver in front of me, and if I do, I ease off without much annoyance (well, maybe if they’re significantly under the limit, but I don’t push them). I’ll do the speed limit or less when the road or weather conditions require it.

I recently had a nerve-wracking drive on one of those twisty-turny, no-shoulder, hilly rural roads where the speed limit is 55. I did 60 in deference to the people behind me, yet 2 big SUVs and a big pickup tailgated me serially until I could pull over safely to let them pass - no passing zones for miles. Two guys flipped me off. So how much faster should I have been going?
140 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: How far over the speed limit do you drive?

• makemesmartmakemesmart 1591 replies14 threads Senior Member
    7 miles above the speed limit is my limit. I have also heard that “8 is fine 9 is mine”, but I like to be on a safer side.
    · Reply · Share
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn 38752 replies2126 threads Super Moderator
    edited October 11
    Depends which state! Typically five miles over, but I will push it to ten sometimes. I haven't gotten a ticket in years. The one I got was in my small, rural town which doesn't have a police force. A sheriff's deputy got me. I've seen them patrol literally three times in 23 years.

The adjacent town's police force is notorious for catching people. There are 25-mph zones all over town. If you go 31 mph, you'll get a ticket. You can always tell the people who are not from the area, because they're right on your tail! I usually set my cruise control to 30 mph and ignore them.

MTA: Waze is your friend. ;)

edited October 11
    · Reply · Share
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse 29584 replies58 threads Senior Member
    Typically 5. Not a hard and fast rule.
    · Reply · Share
  • toledotoledo 4802 replies290 threads Senior Member
    edited October 11
    My father gave me the 5 miles over advice, too, but that was a max. I still use it. I live on the border between MI and OH. In MI, 10-15 over is common, but that will easily get you a ticket in OH. I'm sure our state gets a lot of revenue from MI drivers. In Texas, on one-lane roads, we would actually pull over onto the shoulder to let cars pass.
    edited October 11
    · Reply · Share
    @toledo, I love driving in Texas, where people pull over for you! I took that for granted since I grew up there. I was surprised that it doesn't typically happen elsewhere. I pull over for people in Maine and I can tell people are confused, ha. They hesitate before passing me.
    · Reply · Share
  • HouseChatteHouseChatte 743 replies1 threads Member
    I tend to go around 5-10 mph over on open stretches of local rural roads, at or below on curves or in built-up areas with driveway cuts, playgrounds, etc. I cover the brakes a lot. We've got wildlife, childlife, bicyclists, farm equipment . . . pretty much have to be ready for something to pop up in front of me at any moment.

When driving my dogs, I'm still fast but much softer through turns and transitions. Everything is much more gradual. They get carsick.
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 7584 replies61 threads Senior Member
    5 mph for me too. OP - Those people who flipped you off are a-hs. You were driving safely and pulled over when you were able. They were at fault for tail gaiting and being jerks.

· Reply · Share
  • mathmommathmom 32458 replies159 threads Senior Member
    I tend to drive about 7 miles over on highways. I drive in the middle lane if there are three lanes, the right hand lane if there are two. On two lane roads in the middle of nowhere, I might drive 5-10 miles over the speed limit, but if there are any twists and turns, especially at night, I drive under the speed limit. I'll pull over for people to pass me if I can, but if I am driving at the speed limit, it's not my problem that they want to speed.
    · Reply · Share
  • Nrdsb4Nrdsb4 17021 replies159 threads Senior Member
    I don't care how slow you are going on a multi lane highway as long as you are in the right lane. If you are in the passing lane going slower than everyone else (no matter what the speed limit is), I'm going to be very irritated at you.

If you are on a two lane highway (one lane each direction), you should be driving at least the speed limit unless road conditions dictate otherwise.

I rarely speed. I will go 4mph over on a highway. Sometimes I realize I'm speeding when I'm listening to an audio book. So on a long drive, I put it in cruise at 4-5 mph over. Haven't had a ticket since 1990.
    · Reply · Share
  • FlyMeToTheMoonFlyMeToTheMoon 3026 replies45 threads Senior Member
    I’m surprised by all you slow drivers. 😉 We drive 79 on the highway, regardless if it is posted at 65 or 70. I used to drive 75 when our local expressway was posted at 65, until the newspaper posted a story about all the drivers who were stopped for going over 80. After that, I upped it to 79.

Local roads is a different story. I drive for conditions, so sometimes the speed limit, sometimes considerably over. When I take the little traveled back roads to the farmer’s market, I go as fast as the road allows. There aren’t any cops setting speed traps in the middle of nowhere.
    · Reply · Share
    @flymetothemon, that's what I thought about our rural area until the sheriff's deputy caught me!
    · Reply · Share
    My cousin is married to a trooper. He says "9 you're fine, 10 you're mine."

DH speeds all the time and gets tickets because of it. Once, he got pulled over for going 78 in a 75. Now THAT seemed unreasonable.
    · Reply · Share
    There is a speed limit of 85 on a highway in Texas. :)
    · Reply · Share
    @MaineLonghorn , I take a toll road off I-35 to San Antonio that lets you avoid driving through Austin. There are some stretches of 85 if memory serves. I love that highway!
    · Reply · Share
  • ChaosParent23ChaosParent23 493 replies29 threads Member
    When we lived on base I always drove at the speed limit. As a bit of a lead foot, this was really hard. But not being allowed to drive to/from my on base house would've been FAR harder!! Now I do 5 in town, 7-10 highway. I don't like to do more than 75 even if the limit is high (looking at you TX!)
    · Reply · Share
  • makemesmartmakemesmart 1591 replies14 threads Senior Member
    @FlyMeToTheMoon your screen name suits your driving habits 😋
    We have lots of speed traps near/around town. I am a “slow” learner, after being a provider of local PD’s revenue sources for many years, now 7-mile on local roads are my rule of thumb.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 78559 replies695 threads Senior Member
    Much of the time, traffic conditions create an effective speed limit significantly slower than the posted speed limit.

Regardless of the posted speed limit, pay attention to what is a safe speed for the conditions. For example, when coming around a blind curve or going over the top of a hill, are you driving at a speed where you can stop or avoid a crash if there is a stopped traffic jam just around the blind curve or over the hill? Or at night, can you stop for objects that appear at the end of what you can see in your headlamps?
    · Reply · Share
  • Jugulator20Jugulator20 1539 replies18 threads Senior Member
    I live in Southern California. If traffic is flowing I routinely drive in fast lane on a 4 lane highway with posted speed limit of 70. If I’m “only” going my usual 80, cars will routinely pass me as if I’m standing still.
    · Reply · Share