right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

DIffusers and Essential Oils

abasketabasket 19520 replies868 threads Senior Member
Hot item now it seems. I know some people are really into the oils for health purposes. Some people just like the diffusers with oils instead of burning candles.

Interested to know if/how you use them and any products you might recommend.

D1 was talking about getting a diffuser for the purposes of lightly humidifying her bedroom and also adding oils for relaxation at night (lavender I believe is a popular one).

I thought about getting her a room sized diffuser/humidifier and starter oils for her birthday. Some of the diffusers are really cute!

Also looking for recommendations on specific diffusers you have used and perhaps line of oils - I'm sure there are some better than others.

Not looking to spend a fortune but to purchase a room decor bedside diffuser and a few oils.
23 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: DIffusers and Essential Oils

• doschicosdoschicos 21421 replies223 threads Senior Member
    I'm not into it but I have extended family that is DEEPLY into it. Some of the big MLM brands offer good starter kit packages that include a bunch of oils and a defuser - one being Young Living.
    · Reply · Share
  • Groundwork2022Groundwork2022 2350 replies44 threads Senior Member
    I don't own or use a diffuser, but recently used lavender oil on a bug bite and it worked for over 12 hours straight, much longer than anti-itch cream ever did, at least for me.
    · Reply · Share
  • abasketabasket 19520 replies868 threads Senior Member
    Yes one of my favorite decor bloggers has a separate Instagram for her line she is sponsored by - I think that might be the line.

I'm not interested in a deep dive but just a good one for some practical use. I know that even TJ Maxx has them - diffuser only or ones with a few oils too. But I imagine even like candles some of the oils scent wise are not as good.

Here's an example of one I might consider on Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/Lagunamoon-Essential-Diffuser-Humidifier-Aromatherapy/dp/B06XRLR9RQ/ref=sr_1_25?crid=25QL6ESJ9IUDM&keywords=diffuser+with+essential+oils+set&qid=1570979573&refinements=p_72:2661618011&rnid=2661617011&sprefix=diffuser,aps,225&sr=8-25

https://www.amazon.com/URPOWER-OD-501-Aromatherapy-Essential-Humidifier/dp/B0118QC1BA/ref=sr_1_17?keywords=diffuser+humidifier+with+essential+oils+set&qid=1570979892&sr=8-17
    · Reply · Share
  • mountainsoulmountainsoul 68 replies1 threads Junior Member
    D19 has anxiety and her doctor recommended using a diffuser with essential oils as a holistic remedy. I bought this diffuser for D19s dorm room:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018CLNEOM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's compact, looks great, and has an auto-off function (perfect for my forgetful college kid). Many natural food stores have a great selection of essential oils. No need to spend a lot on essential oils as a little goes a long way.

· Reply · Share
    @mountainsoul I actually added that one to my wish list as well! I think I actually like a light wood grain or ceramic one for decor purposes. This one seems to check off a lot of the check marks!
    · Reply · Share
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn 38773 replies2127 threads Super Moderator
    I think they're great to smell. That's about it.
    · Reply · Share
  • lilmomlilmom 3477 replies96 threads Senior Member
    edited October 13
    We had fires in our area this past week. The air quality was terrible so our windows had to stay closed. I used my diffuser with some oil to get rid of the smell. My daughter uses lavender to de-stress and peppermint for alertness.
    edited October 13
    · Reply · Share
  • hyperJuliehyperJulie 1490 replies63 threads Senior Member
    I stay away from essential oils because they're potentially toxic to cats (including diffusers). I'd feel pretty awful if one of my cats got sick for a nice smell.
    · Reply · Share
    I've never heard that @hyperJulie ! What about candles - some of the fumes/smoke let off by candles is often mentioned as not good for humans at least!

No cats in her house (or mine) but a dog.
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 34452 replies392 threads Senior Member
    edited October 13
    For smoke, I’d recommend a HEPA air filter that actually filters the air instead of masking it with a new scent. Our kids bought us a very compact one when the volcano was spewing in our state and D bought one for herself for the CA fires.

Rabbit Air is the brand we have and so far we like it better than past air cleaners as it has a small footprint and is whisper quiet.

Ok, back to the diffusers. Sorry, no nothing about them.
    edited October 13
    · Reply · Share
  • sabaraysabaray 7088 replies80 threads Senior Member
    D bought me a diffuser which has held up well. Unfortunately I can’t find it on Amazon - there are so many! Mine is very simple. For oils, I like doTerra which I buy from a friend. The Serenity oil blend is primarily lavender and very calming.
    · Reply · Share
  • hyperJuliehyperJulie 1490 replies63 threads Senior Member
    @abasket No idea about candles, I've never used them in my apartment because I've never felt comfortable having open flames around. The issue stems from cats being unable to metabolize the chemical compounds that given essential oils their smell, if I understand correctly:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/are-essential-oils-poisonous-to-cats/

It depends on the oil, so essentially if people with cats want to diffuse essential oils, they should make sure that the particular kind of oil is cat-safe. People assume that because they're natural there's no reason they could be harmful, but what is safe for humans may not be safe for animals.
    · Reply · Share
  • SybyllaSybylla 3911 replies50 threads Senior Member
    edited October 13
    If you do buy EOs, look at real suppliers VS MLMs, try WSP, Brambleberry, Natures garden, Camden Grey. The tiny MLM bottles are hilariously overpriced. Check if you buy in a store that they are not actually diluted. Note that most of the wood looking difusers are plastic, if you have TJs or the rest of that chain, they will have tons available. Most look nasty and cheap. If cheap is OK, they are cheaper online for sure.
    edited October 13
    · Reply · Share
  • powercropperpowercropper 1668 replies71 threads Senior Member
    You want to purchase oils that are tested by independent third party labs. Most oils sold in retail stores (walmart, tj maxx) etc are diluted. China oils are more likely to be just chemicals that happen to have a fragrance.

Doterra and Young Living are mlm companies that you may be familiar with. But do not purchase them from Amazon type sites, they can be diluted by third party sellers. Find a representative that lives close to you.

Edens Gardens is a reputable oil company that you can trust to purchase online. My friend does a lot of research with oils, and this is one of 3 companies she buys from. (I can not remember the other 2 names.)

Some diffusers are built to last 10 hours a night. I would buy for function and not for looks.

Night time oils to unwind: lavendar, Doterra's Serenity. Cedarwood is best combined with other, more pleasant smelling oil like the lavendar or serenity. Cedarwood is a great oil, but I personally would not put it in as the only oil.

Doterra has a new oil that i am diffusing at night. Adaptiv. It was formulated as part of a line made for anxiety/depression relief, and relaxation/restful sleep is a pleasant secondary benefit.
    · Reply · Share
    I knew there would be some education to get here. :)

Not looking for "cheap" but not looking to invest a ton of $$ for a first go around to see if this is a habit she might want to adopt. Sorry for being home decor vain, but I would like it not to look like a dollar store item!

I think I can figure out a diffuser based on reviews. I will likely not buy from a MLM company. Knowing that some cheaper oils are diluted is good information.
    · Reply · Share
  • MACmiracleMACmiracle 1531 replies28 threads Senior Member
    Besides Eden's Garden, Plant Therapy is another nice company to buy from. Good quality, reasonable prices, and quick, free shipping. They have nice diffusers and a variety of sample kits.

I have a hard time with mlm. It turns friends into salespeople. I just want to be a friend and not a potential customer every minute!

I have a cheap diffuser and I don't use it too much. I have dogs and even if a particular oil is known to be safe for them, I realize they have a keen sense of smell and I imagine the scents from a diffuser could be overwhelming for them.

My kids have experimented with oils. One in particular started after a stressful first semester. She likes a home made blend of cedarwood and lavender diluted in fractionated coconut oil applied in a roller ball applicator for bedtime. Friends in her dorm ask to use it, too. Lately, she's been diffusing frankincense to relax. She is very sensitive to skin and hair products and finds rosemary oil soothing if something makes her itchy.

I go through periods of getting a lot of headaches. I've had quick relief from peppermint oil when ibuprofen and Tylenol did not help, but I find the smell annoying. So I will still use conventional pain relievers first.

For shoulder pain, I tried rubbing in diluted copaiba before bed at the recommendation of a friend. I don't know if it helps the pain much but it makes me incredibly relaxed. I find I do sleep better on nights I rub it on my shoulder. I'm also not crazy about the scent alone so I will also mix it with lavender.

Patchouli also has a relaxing effect in me and it is something I enjoy smelling.

There are some studies on this. You can look them up on pubmed. One that was interesting to me was a lavender orange blend being calming to dementia patients in the evening, while rosemary and lemon had a nice, stimulating effect in the morning. I think there may be some research out there on rosemary for focus and memory.
    · Reply · Share
  • SybyllaSybylla 3911 replies50 threads Senior Member
    And really, it doesn't need to be proven as useful if the user thinks it is useful. Like rescue remedy. Placebo effect is real.
    For sure people who tawk doterra or YL are to be avoided at all costs.
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 21421 replies223 threads Senior Member
    "I have dogs and even if a particular oil is known to be safe for them, I realize they have a keen sense of smell and I imagine the scents from a diffuser could be overwhelming for them."

I bet given how sensitive I am to their smells.

It's interesting how different people react to different smells. I can't handle patchouli at all.
    · Reply · Share
    The dog component has me hesitant. D1's boyfriend who she is with several days a week has a dog who seems to have sensitive skin. He sleeps in the same room.

Anyone use a diffuser and can share how their dog reacts???
    · Reply · Share
  • dietz199dietz199 3629 replies73 threads Senior Member
    edited October 14
    I have a couple of diffusers and use them regularly. I stay away from any heavily marketed oils. One of my top favorite merchants - Costco - recently had a large varietal set of oils. Got those.

I do find certain scent energizing or relaxing.

The ncbi data supports use of peppermint oil for increased energy.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3607906/
    The results of the experiment support the effectiveness of peppermint essential oil on the exercise performance, gas analysis, spirometry parameters, blood pressure, and respiratory rate in the young male students. Relaxation of bronchial smooth muscles, increase in the ventilation and brain oxygen concentration, and decrease in the blood lactate level are the most plausible explanations.
    edited October 14
    · Reply · Share