right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Girl proposing to the Guy

fendergirlfendergirl 4609 replies158 threads Senior Member
This topic came up in conversation the other day and I was curious what you guys thought. It's definitely non-traditional. How does one even do that? With a ring pop?
64 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Girl proposing to the Guy

• fendergirlfendergirl 4609 replies158 threads Senior Member
    Btw, The ring pop comment was obviously a joke. That's awesome about your mother! @Groundwork2022
    · Reply · Share
  • BellaMorganBellaMorgan 108 replies1 threads Junior Member
    I find it weird and a desperate move. If a man really loves a woman then he should be the one to bend on his knees and ask the question. But then again it's the 21st century so maybe it is normal.
    · Reply · Share
  • conmamaconmama 4343 replies320 threads Senior Member
    I don’t know one person where the woman asked the man. I don’t think it’s the norm, but if it works for the couple then that’s great.
    · Reply · Share
  • conmamaconmama 4343 replies320 threads Senior Member
    edited October 16
    I thought I was the only one with no formal proposal. We had dated more than 5 years and had talked “when we get married” sort of discussions from time to time. We were out eating at Chi Chi’s one evening and were talking if we got married where would we go on a honeymoon. I know he had no idea the evening was going to end up with us engaged. All he said was, let’s do it then. I said “what” get married?. I think he turned green and said “yes”. Probably thinking what the heck just came out of my mouth. I said ok.

Then I got cold feet and called him the next day and said I think I changed my mind but I wasn’t sure. He said whatever I want to do. I was so confused. (He was probably relievedI had been dreaming of getting married.

I called my mom crying the next day at work and she talked me down. I decided that I did want to get married. I called him again to tell him I changed my mind again. LOL.

No diamond until our 5th anniversary and he let me pick out what I wanted, which was more than we could afford at the time, but I figured I had waited so long so what the heck. We’ve been married 35 years, together 41.

I still think it’s so romantic when I see proposals, but not the getting on the knees ones.

edited October 16
    · Reply · Share
  • kiddiekiddie 3450 replies217 threads Senior Member
    Another in the no formal proposal group - no asking permission, no ring, no bended knee. We just decided it was the right time (had dated for many years - married now for almost 35). I did speak with a young person (early 30s) who recently got engaged, and he mentioned how it was a proposal by discussion (no big scene with a camera filming to get the right social media picture). They too just agreed it was time (have been together for a long time.)

This video about proposals today makes me laugh - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTIpt65Ns24
    · Reply · Share
  • FlyMeToTheMoonFlyMeToTheMoon 3026 replies45 threads Senior Member
    edited October 16
    @kiddie, that’s hysterical!!!!
    edited October 16
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 7584 replies61 threads Senior Member
    Mutual thing for us too. When I was a senior and applying to grad schools I told now H that I wouldn’t build my list around his job without a commitment. We went ring shopping together and he officially proposed a month later.
    · Reply · Share