right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Need vacation ideas that include spots for inactive person

mom60mom60 7922 replies507 threads Senior Member
I want to plan a trip with my sisters. Two of us are active and in good shape and can walk for miles. Other sister has multiple health issues ranging from psoriatic arthritis to Parkinson’s disease. She also has a healing stress fracture in her tibia. Hopefully the stress fracture will be healed soon but on occasion she uses a cane.
My active sister and I did a short trip last spring without the other sister. We are going to NYC in December to see the holiday displays. Other sister expressed interest but we can’t imagine her walking around NYC. And to be honest I don’t want to accommodate someone who can’t walk for miles.
I want to offer a few suggestions for other trips we could do together that would be more suitable for her. She also has fair skin and has has metastasized melanoma so beach trips are out.
Any suggestions?
49 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Need vacation ideas that include spots for inactive person

• twoinanddonetwoinanddone 23251 replies17 threads Senior Member
    Well, there are other things to do at the beach than suntanning. If you had a nice oceanside room with a balcony, she could spend time reading or doing needlecrafts while enjoying the ocean, and then you could all go out to nice dinners or explore an art area, farmer's market, etc.

Even a cruise would give a non-walker plenty to do. If she couldn't do the excursions, there are usually things going on on the ship. I'd suggest a Canadian cruise, in the fall. Beautiful.
    · Reply · Share
  • maya54maya54 2187 replies90 threads Senior Member
    Alaska cruise! NCL has a wondeful indoor observation lounge on newer ships. Inactive person can relax, read and watch the views. More active can do other things. There are great shows and a lovely indoor spa betwwn ports. Excursions can be found that can accommodate easily.
    · Reply · Share
  • calmomcalmom 20617 replies167 threads Senior Member
    Another option might be a destination that includes a scenic train ride.
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 7620 replies61 threads Senior Member
    I immediately thought cruise too.
    · Reply · Share
  • MarianMarian 13214 replies83 threads Senior Member
    Would it be possible to obtain a rental wheelchair during that trip to NYC? Would your sister be willing to use one when you're covering long distances?

Quite a few years ago, when I had a broken leg, I learned that a wheelchair is a very handy thing to have available if your mobility is impaired and you have someone else with you. The wheelchair made it possible for me to do things that would have been impossible on crutches for a klutz like me -- like shopping trips and attending concerts. And it could easily be folded and shoved in the trunk of a car (usually by my daughter).

The only problem I can see is that you would probably need to use taxis instead of the subway, but that may be cheaper anyway for three people.
    · Reply · Share
  • murray93murray93 148 replies19 threads Junior Member
    Check out Blackberry Farm in Tennessee. The food is phenomenal and they offer tons of activities... Some involve physical activity (hiking, fly fishing, paddle boarding) and others involve no physical activity at all and are artistic or educational. We did a multi-generational trip there and it was wonderful. They also have plenty of golf carts to get around the property!
    · Reply · Share
  • BKSquaredBKSquared 1440 replies8 threads Senior Member
    In addition to cruises, you could look at all inclusive resorts in scenic or historic areas. This may be beyond your time and money budget, but we have had great experiences in Bali and Thailand. There are a lot of activities (water and land) as well as excursion options (scenic and cultural/historical). Closer to home are resorts in the Yucatan, New England, Rocky Mountain area and the Cali coast around Big Sur or the Napa or Sonoma valleys (if you all are into wines).
    · Reply · Share
  • itsgettingreal17itsgettingreal17 4047 replies26 threads Senior Member
    I agree with the cruise recommendation. When we go, my mom who is not active does shore excursions that are appropriate for the elderly. The rest of us go on active excursion. Then we meet back up for a lively dinner to share our days out. Highly recommend.
    · Reply · Share
  • mom60mom60 7922 replies507 threads Senior Member
    edited October 19
    Thanks for all the ideas. I’m interested in trips of 3 to 7 days. My younger sister still has a high schooler so longer trips aren’t easily doable for her.
    I’m going to make a list and see what they think. I think the New England to Canada cruise might be interesting to her. Also Blackberry farm looks interesting too.
    I don’t see my sister as Bali or Thailand person. Nor do I see her in a wheelchair. @BKSquared so you have any specific recommendations for Napa or Sonoma? That area is driving distance for all of us so we could do a long weekend.
    African safari is a wonderful trip but not in our budget.
    She also enjoys cooking. Any cooking course ideas?
    edited October 19
    · Reply · Share
  • BKSquaredBKSquared 1440 replies8 threads Senior Member
    We stayed at Silverado since we are golfers, but there are a bunch of other hotels, B&B's etc... There are various group wine excursion tours or you can hire your own car/van for the day so that you can fully enjoy sampling all the wines! There are also some wonderful restaurants in the area.
    · Reply · Share
  • TatinGTatinG 6472 replies114 threads Senior Member
    Any number of national parks might suit your needs. Stay in one of the historic lodges in the center of things. There are usually walking paths that are paved and not long or arduous. Some of the parks have bus tours to various parts. Then you and your active sister could do the more rigorous hikes while the third sister also sees the park but on a tour bus or by doing the easy walks. And the historic lodges are sites in and of themselves. I'm thinking Old Faithful Lodge, the Ahwahnee, the Lake Louise hotel in Canada, the Lake Quinalt Lodge in Washington state, Bryce Canyon cabins which are very close to the rim of the canyon, Zion Park Lodge, the El Tovar at the Grand Canyon, etc. Sedona, Arizona also offers some really nice resorts. There's hiking for you and jeep tours for your sister.
    · Reply · Share
  • dragonmomdragonmom 5917 replies154 threads Senior Member
    If you opt for a cruise, look for a medium sized ship. The trend with many lines is bigger, bigger, bigger and just walking from one end to the other might wear out someone with limited mobility.
    · Reply · Share
  • MarianMarian 13214 replies83 threads Senior Member
    I know several people who have gone on those cruises from Baltimore to New England and Canada and really enjoyed it. And from their descriptions, it sounds like there are a variety of activities that would suit people of different physical abilities.

I haven't looked back to see who first suggested that type of cruise, but I think it's a marvelous idea for next spring or summer.
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 34514 replies383 threads Senior Member
    edited October 19
    I took a cruise this summer and have been to all-includive resorts.

It's a lot of walking to do anything. On board, we had a room not far from the elevators, but everything else besides the lobby was a jaunt. Even the breakfast/lunch bar was a long stretch, in itself. Medium-sized ship (2k guests.) I noticed because of an injury that still occasionally hurts- but I'm mobile. Just getting to the ship entrance from the dropoff was a long walk, you stand in line waiting for boarding passes, getting luggage through security, etc.

I'd go for beauty, whether in the mountains or flatlands, someplace with beautiful views, outside and inside, great food, but active hiking for the other two.

It's true national parks often have busses or trams that run a scenic circuit. But for someone not easily mobile, what else to do? And in the NPs we've visited, you don't rely on your car as much.

Napa/Sonoma makes sense. If she can't take a tour, she can wait in the tasting room. You can picnic at many. And it's car-culture. Easy to adapt, find a local resaturant, some evenings.

edited October 19
    · Reply · Share
  • coralbrookcoralbrook 7867 replies25 threads Senior Member
    If you are in Northern California, maybe the beautiful Awhanee Lodge in Yosemite in off season. Although it might be pricey
    · Reply · Share
  • gosmomgosmom 1924 replies56 threads Senior Member
    If Napa/Sonoma on your radar, here are some options that don't have to be a lot
    of walking. (You and one sister can also rent bikes, kayak the Napa river, hike..)

--cooking classes at CIA (Culinary Institute) at Copia https://www.ciaatcopia.com/
    There are others, but this is the one a chef friend suggests
    --Safari West if you want the "Serengetti of Sonoma"...get your fill of African animals.
    You can tour....or even stay there
    https://www.safariwest.com
    -- why not blend your own wine? there are a number of options listed in this article...
    Goskid did Conn Creek, and friends have done Raymond, both with thumbs up.
    https://stylishlyme.com/what-to-do/make-your-own-wine/
    --the Wine Train has lots of packages...3 hour, half day, full day, gourmet, etc
    https://www.winetrain.com/

Enjoy!

· Reply · Share