right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Congratulations to my daughter who just landed an internship at a Big 4 Firm!

toomanyteenstoomanyteens 1032 replies63 threads Senior Member
She goes to a small no name LAC that we could afford and that recruited her to play lacrosse. She is the ultimate in 'growing where she was planted' and managed to take all the right steps to distinguish herself and land a great internship which is likely to result in a starting position upon graduation. She competed with the likes of Penn State in the Cyber Security field and got herself into the door! I am proud and happy for her.
74 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Congratulations to my daughter who just landed an internship at a Big 4 Firm!

• momofsenior1momofsenior1 7582 replies61 threads Senior Member
    Whooo hooo! Love this! Congrats to your D!
    · Reply · Share
  • mom517mom517 73 replies9 threads Junior Member
    edited October 23
    Congratulations to your daughter and your family....how wonderful!!!!!!
    edited October 23
    · Reply · Share
  • katliamomkatliamom 12831 replies167 threads Senior Member
    Bravo! Let's hear it for the kiddos who make the most of their opportunities.. and yes, they exist in small "no name" schools!
    · Reply · Share
  • crknwk2000crknwk2000 346 replies15 threads Member
    Terrific news!! Big congrats to your girl : )
    · Reply · Share
  • PublisherPublisher 8508 replies91 threads Senior Member
    Cyber Security should be a great field. Deloitte ?
    · Reply · Share
  • GirlMom01GirlMom01 16 replies1 threads Junior Member
    Congratulations to your D! I wish her the best in her internship!
    · Reply · Share
  • happy1happy1 22947 replies2261 threads Senior Member
    edited October 23
    Congrats! Hope she enjoys the internship and that it leads to a full time job offer. The Big 4 firms are great places to start a career.
    edited October 23
    · Reply · Share
  • toomanyteenstoomanyteens 1032 replies63 threads Senior Member
    Publisher wrote: »
    Cyber Security should be a great field. Deloitte ?

Nope - KPMG
    · Reply · Share
  • STEM2017STEM2017 4099 replies96 threads Senior Member
    Congratulations! Great company, great field!
    · Reply · Share
  • UCBUSCalumUCBUSCalum 1077 replies4 threads Senior Member
    full time starting position with a Big 4 = long hours, but great experience and well worth it in the long run!
    · Reply · Share
  • yearstogoyearstogo 659 replies30 threads Member
    Big 4 are great!!!! Not many other places where kids right out of college are able to get exposed to the details of so many companies and quickly interact with upper management within the companies!
    · Reply · Share
  • BingeWatcherBingeWatcher 932 replies7 threads Member
    Congratulations. I, too love it when kids make the most of their opportunities! Bravo for your D!
    · Reply · Share
  • socaldad2002socaldad2002 1517 replies30 threads Senior Member
    The Big 4's are great for gaining valuable experience working with large, complex multi-national companies in tax, audit, advisory and consulting. They also are big on continuous training, both on the job and in formal classroom settings. The health and other benefits are great and one of things I liked the most working at one was that if I didn't know the answer to say a tax question, I could immediately pick up the phone and call one of my many colleagues throughout the U.S. who would know the answer immediately. The wealth of knowledge within the firm is unsurpassed.

Some downsides are the long hours (a few all-nighters) especially during busy season(s), the constant push to be "fully utilized" (i.e. charging hours to client billable codes), and the firm can be very political and a huge bureaucracy at times.

Re: interacting with upper management. Yes and no. New associates will be reporting to senior associates and they are not really interacting with upper management (i.e. C-Suite execs) but likely will interact with their client's tax directors or finance/accounting personnel. Your tax or audit partner will be interacting most with the CFO, CEO, CAO, or VP Tax at these Fortune 1000 companies and your senior managers/directors will be managing the client account on a daily basis. But if you do a good job, you can move up quickly within the firm, 2 years to Sr. Associate, 5 years to Manager, 7 or 8 years to Sr. Mgr/Director and maybe partner in 8 to 10 years. Most partners don't make it on the first try however and its not just on your specialization or expertise, but you likely will have to sell (i.e. have a sizable book of business and revenue that is significant) to justify making partner. Some luck is important too, if your office has partners near retirement, this may create an opening for your promotion. Otherwise you may have to wait longer or be a partner in a less desirable location out of state, possibly.

Overall, getting Big 4 experience is wonderful and something that will be very helpful in your career, no matter where you go or what you do.
    · Reply · Share
    edited October 23
    Agree that interaction with upper management of client Fortune 500 companies is unlikely for Associates, Senior Associates & Managers. Possible for Senior Managers, but much more common for Directors and, of course, Partners.

Because of "required" client contact and development of business, some prefer to remain at the Senior Management level. These type of Big Four employees are experts and work horses. Also required to train & develop talent.
    edited October 23
    · Reply · Share
    edited October 23
    A huge advantage of working for Big Four accounting firms is the exit opportunities. Best to stay for at least 5 years if one wants to move over to a major client (Fortune 50).

If in a highly sought after specialty area, one can leave after 13 to 18 months without being promoted and receive a very substantial increase in base salary pay. But the timing has to be right.
    edited October 23
    · Reply · Share
  • TanbikoTanbiko 367 replies2 threads Member
    You all are posting about Front Office positions. The Cybersecurity is a back office job unless it is with Advisory. KPMG IT gives many internships to the children of their employees so to get in as an "unhooked" candidate is also impressive. If it is Advisory then it is even better. In any case CyberSecurity is hot and being a female in CyberSecurity is very hot. She will have to start collecting various certifications.
    · Reply · Share
  • toomanyteenstoomanyteens 1032 replies63 threads Senior Member
    @Tanbiko it is Advisory
    · Reply · Share
    Now days, due to conflict of interest with clients, the rules for exiting a Big 4 firm to work for that Big 4's client is more stringent than the old days. This is especially true if your daughter is on the engagement team of that Big 4's client.
    · Reply · Share
    edited October 24
    @UCBUSCalum: Interesting comment as some at Big 4 firms still maintain that they like employees to go to client companies because it further cements the relationship between the company & the Big 4.

And many exiting Big 4 employees are told that they will be welcome to return.
    edited October 24
    · Reply · Share
    A little off OP's topic, but the conflict of interest rules extend into client services. The Big 4 audit engagement partner has to rotate off the audit engagement every cycle (4 to 5 years?). Also, a Big 4 firm cannot provide full services (consulting, tax, advisory, etc.) to its audit clients.

Regarding OP's posting, having Big 4 firm experience on a resume is almost as good as having a top 25 to 30 MBA school on the resume. The exception is T7 to T12 schools.

· Reply · Share