right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

2019 Holiday gifts for people who have no room for anything and don’t need anything

jym626jym626 55801 replies2904 threads Senior Member
edited November 1 in Parent Cafe
Help. Have been trying to come up with gift ideas. Have tried “experience” gifts in the past (e.g. overheard them discussing a restaurant someone recommended, so I ordered a gift certificate; bought 5 classes for DIL at her gym and had it added to her membership. SIL bought our granddaughter a year’s membership to the zoo, we paid for babysitting for a night out, etc). So far have only ordered one gift for grandbaby (boots) but they may or may not be the right size, and she gets hand me downs from her cousin.

So please help— ideas for the grown kids/spouses and grandbaby? They really have very little room for “stuff”. I am not a huge gift card fan, but sent one to DIL for her birthday through the snail mail (at DS’s recommendation) and of course they never check their mail! They finally found it. Sigh. I did get a test-tube rack of international salts one year. That was a hit but they still have it (and some are still half full).

Older s and DIL do shop at TJ’s so I could get gift certificates, but that seems unexciting. What are you doing for clever gifts this year?
edited November 1
102 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: 2019 Holiday gifts for people who have no room for anything and don’t need anything

• jym626jym626 55801 replies2904 threads Senior Member
    We have already done the “meal in a box” thing, and DS accidentally broke his Kati tea seeping cup from Tea Forte and i already replaced it for him when one was on sale. Other ideas?
    · Reply · Share
  • showmom858showmom858 2947 replies16 threads Senior Member
    Do they like wine? You could do a wine club where they would get a couple of bottles each month to try. How about movie tickets and pay for a babysitter?
    · Reply · Share
  • bookwormbookworm 8946 replies72 threads Senior Member
    I’ll follow with interest.

I suppose one could start a college fund for the grandchild.

I’ve given experiences for past few years, and kids recently gave me a cooking class
    · Reply · Share
  • happy1happy1 22947 replies2261 threads Senior Member
    edited November 1
    If you want to buy an item rather than an expereince, could you perhaps make a meaningful upgrade to something they already have (ex. buy a new TV, a really nice coffee maker etc.). If you do this you may want to get them involved in the final decision.
    edited November 1
    · Reply · Share
  • abasketabasket 19506 replies867 threads Senior Member
    Getting one of their family photos framed for them ? (something busy people often don't have the time to do) Even a great iPhone photo or two can look fantastic in a nicely matted frame.

I like the monthly subscription to something - especially if it's something they really like to consume and would look forward to every month.

Family membership to a zoo or children's museum in their area?

· Reply · Share
    edited November 1
    SIL got them the family membership to the zoo. But there is a children’s creativity museum they like. Thats a great thought.

I wanted to get them (DS#1 and DIL) wine from the year they married or the year their daughter was born, and asked DIL the name of the winery they went to the day they got engaged. She couldn't remember the name!
    edited November 1
    · Reply · Share
  • TatinGTatinG 6470 replies114 threads Senior Member
    I wish someone would digitize the old home movies of my childhood. Remember the old Bell and Howell film cameras and projectors. You can't even find bulbs for them anymore. My dad has dozens of cans of the old home movies and I'd love to see them again.
    · Reply · Share
  • roethlisburgerroethlisburger 2849 replies155 threads Senior Member
    If they drink, alcohol: a nice bottle of wine or whiskey.
    · Reply · Share
  • bajammbajamm 1660 replies19 threads Senior Member
    My D got me a coffee club membership at craft coffee for mother's day. She put a dollar amount in and I was able to choose the kind of coffee I wanted. I get a bag every month, though I have started paying for it myself now.

It is a nice way to get something I enjoy without it taking up space.
    · Reply · Share
    edited November 1
    bajamm - which club??
    edited November 1
    · Reply · Share
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn 38749 replies2126 threads Super Moderator
    ^Craft Coffee, it looks like. https://www.craftcoffee.com/coffee-club
    · Reply · Share
  • 3scoutsmom3scoutsmom 5566 replies337 threads Senior Member
    I like food gifts, Wolfermans, Harry and Davids, fruit of the month club. We have a local olive farm that does great holiday assortments https://texashillcountryoliveco.com/collections/holiday-collections
    I always send my elderly mother flowers, not very original but she enjoys them.
    · Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 23238 replies17 threads Senior Member
    *A weekend away (to see you?).

*Theater tickets or a season package

*I like the 'paying for netflix' idea, and you could package it with movie treats or the 'dinner in a box' from Blue Apron or Plated type place for a month or two

*Tickets to an art show in their town (Denver is having the Monet exhibit for the next 4 months and it is very popular) I'm sure there is something where they live

*Sports tickets to a favorite team

· Reply · Share
  • Rivet2000Rivet2000 1130 replies3 threads Senior Member
    Our son has been sending us subscription coffee from different outlets for a couple of years now. He usually has a a small amount of beans sent every 2 weeks. That way we can experience different blends without being locked in to a specific type. Latest one has been from Rhetoric Coffee from Oakland CA. They send some very interesting blends, and the artwork on the coffee bags never fails to amuse.

https://rhetoriccoffee.com/
    · Reply · Share
    edited November 1
    These ideas made me look up the coffee shop near DS#2 and DIL. Maybe a gift certificate is a thought, though the delivery is a great idea. The pot I sent them last year broke (and they just chucked it- didnt return it for a replacement) so have to find out what the use if they make it at home
    edited November 1
    · Reply · Share
    edited November 1
    @Rivet2000 is there one coffe site that handles links to all the coffee shops to order from?
    edited November 1
    · Reply · Share
  • Midwest67Midwest67 3078 replies13 threads Senior Member
    When our kids were wee and through the elementary school years, my brother would give us a family membership to something in the area every Xmas. Field Museum, Science & Industry, Brookfield Zoo...

I remember these gifts fondly. It was just so lovely to go as often as we wanted, and if we needed to bail because a kid was having a bad day? -- no hard feelings about having spent the admission fee.

We made VERY good use of those family memberships.

Our kids are in their very early 20s, and we have taken to giving them cash for Xmas.

Does AirBnB have gift certificates? I'd use the heck out of that one!
    · Reply · Share