right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Kitchen Floors?

BmacNJBmacNJ 106 replies14 threads Junior Member
Looking to remodel kitchen and trying to decide on new floors. Looking for any input, advice. Had tile and hated. Cold in the winter, chipped, cracked whenever something dropped on floor. Grout would eventually loosen up, crack.

thinking wood or engineered waterproof wood as its more durable.

looking forward to hearing thoughts

thanks
48 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Kitchen Floors?

• MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn 39007 replies2140 threads Super Moderator
    We have wood, also, and really like it. It's a light-colored maple. :) It's been 11 years now and it's holding up well.

· Reply · Share
  • kelsmomkelsmom 15660 replies99 threads Senior Member
    I have a well-respected local brand of prefinished hardwood. It looks great, but after six years it has so many dents and nicks from general wear (guess I drop a lot of stuff in the kitchen). It’s oak, which I think is too soft. We will be redoing our first floor soon & plan to put hardwood in all the rooms, so we will be replacing the kitchen floor. I am interested in knowing the wood types folks have & how they like them.
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 7804 replies65 threads Senior Member
    We have had wood in our last two houses and love it. We currently have a 115 year old house and the original dark oak floors are still holding up well. We have new oak to match in the kitchen (previous owner had put down peel and stick tiles over subfloors and there was no wood to salvage 😓).

I do have a rag rug near the sink but otherwise just wood.
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 39135 replies470 threads Senior Member
    Can't go wrong with wood. House1 had maple. Despite being on the softer side of hardwoods, it held up very well. Sold the house without refinishing the 18 yr old floors. House2 has oak which is original to the house (almost 40 years old) and is still OK despite taking very heavy beating from hordes of previous owners and Airbnb renters. It was refinished once.

I would advise against luxury vinyl... saw some being installed in a doc's office and loved the look. When I came for my floowup visit, the month old floor was already visibly scratched.
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 75463 replies3309 threads Senior Member
    Wood here too. I’ve had it for over 30 years in two houses...and love it. Bona is your friend if you get it!

Our first floor is a very open floor plan, so we have wood everywhere. It is nice to have one continuous flooring type. Less choppy looking.

As an aside, my niece got those really nice vinyl plank wood looking floors in their whole house. She found out too late that if they are damaged, the piece can be fixed...has to be replaced. They already have lots of nicks and dings in the kitchen floor.
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 21564 replies225 threads Senior Member
    Benefit to real wood floors is they can be refinished if needed with time.

Current house: 21 years, oak, refinished once after about 8 years. We are a no shoes house (doesn't apply to guests), no pets any longer and empty nesters so not tons of wear and tear.
    · Reply · Share
  • kiddiekiddie 3489 replies220 threads Senior Member
    I have a Pergo floor in my kitchen that looks like tile. I could have done a good laminate that looks like wood but it wouldn't blend with the real wood floor in the attached dining room. At the time everybody was telling me don't use real wood as it would get damaged by any water problem. I am very happy with it and it look great, cleans easily, and isn't hard on your feet when standing on it.
    · Reply · Share
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn 39007 replies2140 threads Super Moderator
    My parents got tile and don't like it because it's hard to stand on.
    · Reply · Share
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff 4571 replies18 threads Senior Member
    Real wood though out the house. We have a commercial type vinyl wood look floor for our medical office number 2 (did it for office one also). If going the vinyl wood route then get the commercial type not residential. It is thicker and padded better to last longer but. Might be more expensive then wood. Wood to me is something that is hard to replicate well. Holds up well if you take care of it. Mat by the kitchen sink. We put felt things on all the kitchen chairs legs. After like 27 years it does seem like it's time to refinish the floors though.

· Reply · Share
  • Bromfield2Bromfield2 3608 replies36 threads Senior Member
    I love hardwood floors and installed them throughout the house. We use area rugs to help protect them.. After 17 years, we are just now going to refinishing the floors in the kitchen and front entry area.

I think Ipe is the hardest hard wood. We used it on our decks—IIRC there is a type of ipe that you can use indoors.
    · Reply · Share
  • HarrietMWelschHarrietMWelsch 2552 replies31 threads Senior Member
    Yup dark oak floors throughout. Absolutely love them - they're both pretty and forgiving.

I do have a close friend who swears by cork for the kitchen, though.
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 75463 replies3309 threads Senior Member
    edited November 14
    What is IPE?

Another type you could consider is bamboo. We have a friend who did their entire house with bamboo flooring (except the bathrooms) and it is both durable and beautiful.
    edited November 14
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 39135 replies470 threads Senior Member
    Ipe aka Brazilian walnut wood is a PITA to work with! I would not install it indoors.

https://www.builddirect.com/learning-center/flooring/walnut-brazilian-aka-ipe/
    · Reply · Share
  • TheBigChefTheBigChef 601 replies5 threads Member
    My parents have Ipe floors in their house and I have it on my outdoor deck. It's an incredibly hard wood that looks great and is practically indestructible. However, its expensive to buy and expensive to install. Also, because of its density, stains don't penetrate very far into the grain. That means I have to power wash and re-stain my deck every couple of years.
    · Reply · Share
  • gouf78gouf78 7793 replies23 threads Senior Member
    We have hardwood in most of house but just put in a waterproof (not water resistant) vinyl in bathroom. Really looks like wood and loving it so far. The vinyls have varying thicknesses of wear layers and cushion so pick the best if you go that route.
    · Reply · Share
  • NJWrestlingmomNJWrestlingmom 1312 replies2 threads Senior Member
    @kelsmom I'm with you. We got the prefinished hardwood and it looks a mess with dings and dents after about 8 years. I'm hoping once we get around to refinishing it, it may help. Maybe something with the prefinishing somehow makes the surface softer???
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 34533 replies392 threads Senior Member
    I have oak in the entire house EXCEPT have sheet vinyl in both rooms and kitchen. It works well for us—no worries when we have spills large or small, forgiving on feet and legs, softer than tile and mostly things don’t break or shatter if dropped.

We are glad we didn’t install wood in kitchen—our washer & dryer & dishwasher are in kitchen. The washer has overflowed many, many times and it’s hard to immediately mop it all up. I think a wood floor would surely have warped by now.

My sister had a wooden kitchen floor she’s already had to replace twice due to warping and spotting.
    · Reply · Share
  • Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 2543 replies36 threads Senior Member
    Hardwood in our kitchen and has held up well....kids, pets, lots of spills including dishwasher incident....DH put in lots of Dawn dish detergent—result was akin to that Brady Bunch episode with the washing machine excess bubble incident🤣
    · Reply · Share
  • ChaosParent23ChaosParent23 518 replies29 threads Member
    Granted I'm in a rental home right now but we're buying in the next 6 months. I have seen so much honey gold (ie- ORANGE!!!!) hardwood floors and cabinets, I could just cry! I mean, of course the wood is gorgeous but that orange is just a no. I already have names saved to my phone for re-finishing wood floors.

I've also had tile (Kit, Ba, laundry/mud) and I actually really liked it. Yes it chipped when little S dropped a glass bottle but I found it very easy to maintain. I also liked the contrast b/w the laminate (very dark wood-like) in the rest of the downstairs.

However, I will never get laminate in my own home. Yes it looks beautiful and is easy to maintain, for awhile. I remember moving a rug and the padding underneath was just sticky enough to actually remove some of the coloring from the laminate. It can also easily warp as well. Very thankful we sold that house as that flooring was going to need replacing very soon.
    · Reply · Share